Frida Giannini - Designer

Sigh! This must mean someone will either be out of a job, or resign soon. And it'll be a blue chip. I can't imagine she'll settle for a small brand.

Only house currently with a CD on shaky grounds is Chanel. Then someone on here casually mentioned MGC may be out soon.

Frida Giannini Plots Comeback to Fashion

In an interview with Italian daily paper Il Sole 24 Ore on Sunday, the Roman designer talked about her next moves.

By Martino Carrera on February 3, 2019

NEXT MOVES:
Frida Giannini, Gucci’s creative director until 2015, hinted at the possibility of a comeback to fashion as early as 2019 in a Sunday interview with Italy’s daily paper Il Sole 24 Ore.

“Throughout these years I’ve been submitted several offers: some I discarded, some I considered. Yes, it’s possible that there will be interesting news this year,” the designer is quoted as saying. “Should I make a comeback to fashion, I’d want it to be for a less all-absorbing role than [the one] I had at Gucci,” Giannini noted. Further details were not revealed.

After exiting Gucci, Giannini kept a low profile and eased out of the fashion world. In the interview she confessed: “When you are absorbed by an apical role in the [fashion] sector, with all the media exposure at the digital era’s fast pace, there’s little time left to reflect and find objectivity. These years [looking] ‘from the window’ have been positive for this reason, as well.”

Since her abrupt departure from Gucci, Giannini has focused on her role as the mother of her daughter Greta, whom she shares with former Gucci chairman and chief executive officer Patrizio di Marco. The couple tied the knot in June 2015 and Giannini chose Valentino’s then co-creative directors Pierpaolo Piccioli and Maria Grazia Chiuri to design her wedding gown.

Last year, the designer made a brief comeback to fashion for a humanitarian project in partnership with retailer OVS for which she created a Christmas capsule collection of sweaters benefiting the nonprofit association Save the Children, which she joined as a member of the board in 2017.

While at Gucci’s creative helm, the Roman designer made social issues a focus both for the brand and for herself. In particular, in 2013 together with Beyoncé Knowles and Salma Hayek Pinault, she and Gucci launched Chime for Change, created with the goal to support women’s and girls’ education, health services and justice. In 2011, Giannini also received the UNICEF Women of Compassion award.

After leaving the Kering-owned brand at the end of 2014, Di Marco took on the role of chairman of the board at Italian footwear and apparel company Golden Goose Deluxe Brand last year.

WWD.com

Curious to know. Hopefully it will be a success in this awful fashion era.
Thanks Benn.

If she wants a less "all-absorbing" role, I imagine she could go to an Italian brand like Tod's or Pucci - both without creative direction for now - or even a Parisian house like Hermès where her luxurious touch and themed shows would be very welcomed after the gray blob that Nadège's tenure has been for me.

Oh, I am so excited for her comeback!

I can see her at Pucci!
I don’t expect her at all to go back to Kering but LVMH? Why not.

Also, I don’t expect her to move from Italy. And MGC had to move to Paris in order to work for Dior.
Tod’s can be good too.

Pucci & Tod’s needs a refresh!

Ewww...Frida again? The only Gucci collection by her which I like (and only some pieces from it) was the "hard-déco" S/S 2012.

I just hope she had time to learn how to properly cut a pair of pants during this time...and also that her taste for choosing prints have improved since her tenure at Gucci.

For God´s sake, brands of the world...just hire a new name!

Love Frida! Really miss the sex appeal of her Gucci.
Hope she lands somewhere that appreciates her brand of glamour.

Ewww...Frida again? The only Gucci collection by her which I like (and only some pieces from it) was the "hard-déco" S/S 2012.

I just hope she had time to learn how to properly cut a pair of pants during this time...and also that her taste for choosing prints have improved since her tenure at Gucci.

Thank you! I never could abide her direction and quite frankly the industry would be better off without her. Stay raising your child.

Ahaha!
OMG! The infamous horrible Frida pants. It was horrible on women and I wonder if men actually bought it...
I still can believe that Michele was in her team and agreed with that!

I think the only collection I really liked from her was the FW 2014. Simple, commercial and certainly the best sales of my life LOL!

But she is great with accessories and a certain idea of luxury. I think that her aesthetic could suit Tod’s or Pucci but she is not talented enough for bigger houses.

Facchinetti was superior!

Under either of these two circumstances would I feel OK about her return:
1.) She actually understands luxury, desirability, and creativity alot better than she did while at Gucci because I did not find anything during her tenure any of that, especially coming after Tom Ford.

And/Or

2.) The house is not one of the major, significant ones where a true talent could do wonders and grow. I'd hate for her to take up space with her lackluster vision.

I must say, though, I'd take her over Maria Grazia Chiuri ANYDAY.

Under either of these two circumstances would I feel OK about her return:
1.) She actually understands luxury, desirability, and creativity alot better than she did while at Gucci because I did not find anything during her tenure any of that, especially coming after Tom Ford.

And/Or

2.) The house is not one of the major, significant ones where a true talent could do wonders and grow. I'd hate for her to take up space with her lackluster vision.

I must say, though, I'd take her over Maria Grazia Chiuri ANYDAY.

Oh definitely! Lord, Frida is a MILLION times better than MGC. Frankly, Frida is also a MILLION times better than Michele. At least Frida had diversity and creativity whereas Michele and MCG literally keep putting out the same collections each season with ZERO creativity. I actually enjoyed many of her collections because while they weren't luxurious like Chanel or Dior (under Galliano), they had identity and themes. They were identifiable each season.

I don't get the admiration she sometimes gets here. Her design was for the most part the kind of stuff Gossip Girl wardrobe department would love, and the kind that I just say "eww" when I see a piece from her on ebay. Her vision of a woman doesn't feel relevant to me at all, it's like a Rachel Zoe look - so very in the past, yet too recent. I get people long for the more glamorous, feminine and sexy fashion we don't get so much now, but let's be honest: there are others who have done it MUCH better than Frida, so in the end her coming back would not really do the magic.

And please, no Hermès for her! I don't think she's that different from Nadege (both do very unremarkable things), but also I don't want another quintessentially French house to be turned into Italian high-street look.

Damn, so much hate for Frida... lol...

Well I have multiple pairs of her men's riding pants from her Spring/Summer 2012 collection. I've worn them all out and I'm sad. I could see her at Pucci but that's it.

I don't mind her but she's been given her chance. Let someone else have a go at it.

I would like to see her at Ferragamo, a shoe designer like Paul Andrew could never do the job at Ferragamo, half of his designs are ripoff of Manolo's stuff for 90's New York designers...and let's remember footwear department was the only growing catagory even in the last few years for Frida's Gucci.

She really was one of my favourite designers and was always excited to see what she would come up with. She almost always picked interesting themes like a "Dark Hithcock" for F/W 13 or that DIVINE f/w 2011.The chiffon gowns with flowers in that collection are still being copied today. Like it or not, but this woman knew who her customer was, knew what true luxury means, and was a master at timeless but modern shes & bags. It would be nice to see her putting her stamp on Lanvin for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->