The Face (1980 - 2004)

BerlinRocks

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I did some quick search and I think there's no thread about THE FACE in the Behind the Lens part...
So as I recently found back some issues (not that much....), I thought it could be a good idea to make a sort of Tribute to (...)

A thread just for THE FACE with covers and editorials and articles/reviews about THE FACE... who disappeared in May 2004.
You can add any informations, any feelings, anything...

For instance, eventhough i never had in my hands the first Kate Moss with Corinne Day's editorial, I will always remember it....
This is where I discovered Camille Bidaut-Waddington-Cocker and Katie Grand... this is where I first read about Gareth Pugh...
I'll always remember the all white Adina cover by Luis Sanchis (honestly if i scan mine... it's gonna appear all disgusting and yellow...) it was a stunning cover...
et bla et bla et bla....
but the funniest thing is : I don't know when I first bought THE FACE...lol
maybe in the late 90s...

That could become THE FACE biggest source ever... why not?:P

I'm not really sure this is a good idea to make THE FACE re-live - as I think their last issues were not the best... but we could try with this thread...

souvenirs, souvenirs....

from wiki :
The Face was a magazine started in May 1980 by Nick Logan out of his publishing house Wagadon. Logan had previously created titles such as Smash Hits, and had been an editor at the New Musical Express in the 1970s during one of its most successful periods.
The magazine, often referred to as the "80s fashion bible", was influential in championing a number of fashion music and style trends, whilst keeping a finger on the pulse of youth culture for over two decades; its best selling period was in the mid-1990s under editor Richard Benson.
In the late 1980s, the magazine contained an article suggesting that Jason Donovan was gay and in consequence of the subsequent court case it needed the readers' donations to pay substantial libel damages. The magazine set up the Lemon Aid fund, so called as one of the points debated in the libel case was whether Jason Donovan used lemon juice on his hair to highlight it. In 1999, Wagadon was sold to the massive publishers EMAP.
Notable names associated with the magazine were designer & typographer Neville Brody (Art Director, 1981-86), Julie Burchill, Tony Parsons, photographer Juergen Teller and writer Jon Savage.
By its May 2004 closure, the format had become stale, there were too many competitors, sales had declined and advertising revenues had consequently reduced. The publishers EMAP closed the title, in order to concentrate resources on its more successful magazines, however its fashion spin-off "POP" still survives as a stand alone magazine brand.

Editors
  • Nick Logan
  • Sheryl Garrett
  • Richard Benson
  • Adam Higginbotham
  • Johnny Davis
  • Neil Stevenson 2002-2004

Here are some covers :

May 2004

the final issue, I remember there was a supplement with Gisele on cover but cannot find it... too bad because i think there were a lot of archive images...
Kelis and André 3000 by David Lachapelle

Nov. 2001
Cullen Barber by Terry Richardson

June 2003
Charlotte Church by Solve Sundsbo

Nov. 2002
Macaulay Culkin by Terry Richardson

Sept. 2002
Alexander McQueen by Vincent Peters

{all scans by berlinrocks}

Great thread!In the mid 90's,every month i HAD to buy the Face,it was the magazine for everythign that was up and coming and cool and underground,indie.I adored this issue:February 1997,Chloe Sevigny,by Juergen Teller

chloesevigny.com

Turn Up The A/C
The Face May 2002
Photographed by Vincent Peters
Styled by ?
Model Biljana Starcevic

foto-decadent.livejournal.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE The Face.. but I discovered it in 2003 :ninja:
I have some back issues from the 90's, my favorites are the ones from the grunge era..
I think The Face was good until the end, at least because the interviews were hilarious and different..

Leave The Sunshine Out
The Face December 2002
Photographed by Pierre Bailly
Styled by Anthony Unwin
Model An Oost

fashionscreen.livejournal.com

The Layered T On Top
The Face, issue unknwon
Photographed by Luis Sanchis
Styled by Heathermary Jackson
Model Anne Vyalitsyna

fashionscreen.livejournal.com

Minni, I Like Your Style
The Face October 2001
Photographed by Pierre Bailly
Styled by Camille Bidault Waddington
Model Mini Anden

I Am a Diamond
The Face August 2002
Photographed by David LaChapelle
Styled by ?
Model Rie Rasmussen

one of my favorites :crush:

Pitchfork and Tarwater
The Face September 2002
Photographed by David Armstrong
Styled by Panos Yipanis
Models Anne Catherine Lacroix and George Clements

scanned by MissMagAddict

The Face April 2002
Photographed by Liz Collins
Styled by Katie Grand
Model Isabeli Fontana

oooh, i love the ed in #8. the styling reminds me of fashion mags from the 40s/50s.

The Face April 2003
Photographed by Liz Collins
Styling by ???
Model Jessica Stam

simplyjessicastam

The Face November 2003
Photographed by Vincent Peters
Styling by Karina Givargisoff
Model Natalia Vodianova

herfamedgoodlooks.com

I love the 90s!!! This thread is fantastic, I think it will become my new favourite. :smile:

June 2003
Satellite of glove by Lee Broomfield
styling by Simon Robins
model : Daria

{simply daria @ geocities}

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back