The Face Thread, the Q's and A's about Foundations, Primers, Powders...

It's always good to look around for new products and whatever, but if you have something that you already like, stick with it...even though that rule never applies to me, im on a constant change of products :lol:

Originally posted by julieanne@Jul 24 2004, 08:32 PM
well, you're already using my favorite powder foundation- MAC Studiofix, but if I had top pick another one I love, I'd go with the Chanel Double Perfection compact... this stuff is pretty amazing for oily skin and making the face look flawless :D
[snapback]315441[/snapback]​

agreed. i use double perfection compact and i love it...it's the best foundation i've used, even though it is quite pricy. :( the one upside to it is that you can buy refills ($28 i think) that you can put into your old compact instead of having to buy a whole new set for $50.

I use Double Perfection Fluide, of Chanel, I hace mixed skin and it's perfect to me.

School is starting in two days :smile:() And I want to look good this year so what would you guys suggest?: An oil-free, non pore-clogging foundation or An oil-free, non pore-clogging tinted moisturizer? My skin is clearing up for the first time in so long and I need to even out the skin tone and all but I'm afraid I might get pimples again if I use one or the other so which one would you guys suggest?

EDIT: Also would you guys recommend the Evain spray because I'm think about buying it at either at Saks or Sephora tomorrow.

if your skin is more dry, get the tinted moisturizer.... also if you need more coverage get the foundation. If you're more acne prone, try a mineral foundation (it's just powder). It covers VERY nicely, but isn't heavy or cakey like most liquid foundations. Mineral foundations are also very gentle to acne-prone skin types. My fav. is Aromaleigh and Bare Escentuals.

As far as the Evian Spray, honestly I wouldn't waste $10 on it. It's just plain ol' bottled water in a spray-bottle. If you're looking for something that has soothing properties to the skin and to give skin a beautiful glow, try MAC's Fix+ Spray. It's $11.50 and has cucumber extract, green tea, antioxidants and caffeine to energize the skin. It's a great moisturizer and refresher for the face..... it has a lot more vitamins in it than just the plain Evian spray water........... but that's ultimately up to you.

Best of luck with you when going back to school! :flower:

I'm turning forty this week and going shopping at Sephora and anywhere else for new makeup and skincare. I love the ideas gleaned here and wonder if anyone knows of a good pore-minimizing foundation, as my pores seem to have grown gargantuan in recent months. I know about exfoliation and other skincare solutions, and I like the pore-minimizing products by Clinique, yet I'm hoping someone can recommend a a more natural-looking foundation, perhaps with some of the light-diffusing qualities of the newer products.

In any event, thanks for all the great advice here.

Eurydice

For those of you with combination & sensitive skin... what foundation brands have you found that work well? I'm looking for something not too sheer, with decent coverage for splotchiness, but not that looks like I'm wearing a mask. You know.. that dewy, no-makeup look. :smile:

If you have dry skin too, and can manage to find the discontinued Olay foundation sticks - then give em a try.

Okay so i have very sensitive super dry skin..
i stay away from anything with Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) and sunscreens such as: PABA, Octylmethoxycinnamate and Benzephenone. If i don't - i have the worst rashes.

So far, the following foundations have not caused an allergic reaction:
- Revlon New Complexion Cream Foundation
- Lancome Color ID
- Olay stick (sadly discontinued)
- MAC studio tech (mind you - it can look a bit like a mask - try it first if you can - ask for a sample from the counter - take home and try).
- haven't tried it in many many years - but Prescriptives - the powder/cream compact was phenomenal -- that being said - Chantecaille may also be good.

Good luck! :flower:

Yeah, I used Lancome Color ID and my skin gets horribly dry, so I give this a thumbs up cos it works for me :smile:

ditto: ie. Colour ID makes my skin dry too
but i don't break out or get a reaction.

so... for my dry skin... Revlon New Complexion Cream foundation compact is very good.... hope it works for you.

bet some of the more expensive brands would be very good too...
but those are my recommendations for lower priced brands...
i haven't tried others (including higher priced ones) because they don't have my colour (MAC NC45).

all the best!:flower:

I've tried Helena Rubinstein Illuminate and Color clone. HR's foundation for compination skin is Double Agent, but the first two work for me too

I like the prescriptives (i think its called skin responsive tint or something like that?) just to even out your skin all over (of you dont have any major problems like acne i think you'll be fine) and apply prescriptives powder (the one that the tint is displayed with) to the oily parts of your skin. Im still a really big advocate of cleanand clear oil blotting sheets if you ever get shiny.

Primer before putting on foundation/powder

make up artists usually say that it's good to apply primer before foundation or powder. is this true? what for?

buttermilk said:
make up artists usually say that it's good to apply primer before foundation or powder. is this true? what for?
Hehehe, when I think of "primer" I think of the rough grey or black paint they use on cars before laying down the proper paint, which makes the paint adhere better to the metal.

I expect they suggest to put on some moisturizer, so that the foundation blends better and the powder sticks.

buttermilk said:
Keep in mind that make-up artists are kept in business by make-up companies who would make a lot of money if everyone bought primer as well as foundation.

primer reminds me of something oyu put over paster on walls over the bricks

umm...i use a primer because...
its easier to blend concealer; i use less foundation and it stays on longer
am using RMK creamy make up base...my next purchase would probably be stephane marais or something cheaper..... urmmm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->