The Face Thread, the Q's and A's about Foundations, Primers, Powders...

Primer just sets a clean canvas on your skin for foundation/powder application. If you try it, on half of your face for one day when you're home, you will see that the foundation will stay on, fresh, not runny or fading on the side where the primer was applied... Me personally, I don't really reccomend the use of primer, it's a waste of time, and if you're in a nice weather, there's no use on applying it... then again, if you have the the time to apply another layer of stuff on your skin, which sometimes might clog your pores, cause breakouts and oiliness, then go ahead and do it... :wink:

I don't use primer, I hate having layers of stuff on my skin even foundation or moisturizer. Actually before this post I didn't even know what a primer is.

I cannot live w/o my laura mercier primer. I have oily skin and live in a humid climate. this keeps my makeup on longer and keeps it looking fresh all day.

tgp said:
I cannot live w/o my laura mercier primer. I have oily skin and live in a humid climate. this keeps my makeup on longer and keeps it looking fresh all day.
I haven't experimented with a lot of different primers...I use Laura Mercier's primer occasionally..bought it because I was curious and had heard nothing but good things about it..and it's great (better staying powder and no runs) albeit expensive...only other primer I've heard good things about is Shiseido's :flower:

And to answer your question, I use my primer over a moisturizer..but usually apply less moisturizer when I use the primer than when I don't use the primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
tgp said:
i love laura mercier primer too..
i also love laura mercier secret finish over foundation. it makes my skin GLOW :woot:

I used to always apply a primer, but now I don't usually bother, as long as I have a good moisturiser as my base.

However, I would recommend Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, it always worked for me.

Help picking out foundation..

Okay, So I have semi-oily skin with acne (its small but everywhere kind of..) big pores, uneven skin tone.. After looking at picture I'm in need of some makeup..What kind of foundation would you recommend? Or should I stick with something like tinted moisturizer? I need something that is pretty lightweight.. Not high maintenance..

I have of course access to the drug store products and the makeup counters around here are clinique, estee lauder, lancome...uhh I think thats close to it :shock::lol:.. what do you all reccomend.. I don't want to spend a ton of money

(am I too demanding?? :huh::innocent:)

Check out Chanel Double Perfection Fluid or Double Perfection Cream Poudre

both are oil-free, light-medium buildable coverage, lightweight texture.. and leave a soft matte finish which is ideal for oily skin

Actually Pointup, I went through that same skin "phase" as you, and believe me, if you really want to treat your acne just don't wear foundation, it'll only worsen things. And the fact that the foundation is non acnegenic or something doesn't change anything seriously, everything you put on your face OBVIOUSLY enters your pores one way or the other, so pores that are clogged causes even more acne.

Therefore, I suggest you use the Almay Skin clearing concealer which not only COVERS acne, it also TREATS acne. But don't count on it to clear up your face, only use it as a cover stick that won't worsen your acne. I also suggest you stick to Almay's line of concealers (they have 3 colors - plus a green one which is the worse in my opinion) instead of the ones from Clean and Clear (who don't cover up well at all), Neutrogena (too light; only comes in one ridiculous shade) or Clinique (too expensive and much less efficient than the one from Almay).

Almay also makes skin clearing pressed powders and foundations, but if you're looking for coverage, these products will be too sheer, so stick to the concealer. And by the way, Wal Mart and other similar stores often have promos where you'll get the foundation + the concealer for the price of the foundation (10 bucks).

:flower:

thanks kimkhuu :flower: i'll have to try some of that

woo i started this pinned thread ...a year ago :shock::P

Could anyone maybe try and help me find a good foundation. I never use it but i have freckles and sort of shiny skin. I dont have dry or oily skin. I have a normal type. It's sometimes it looks ughh and the face looks dull and lifeless and sort of shiny. Maybe foundation isn't the answer. I herd it's bad for the skin. Vrai ou Faux? Any products to recommend? (I'm half english filipino if that makes any difference or helps...)

Thanks if anyone can help.

ok hi i no we've moved AWAY from the accutane topic along time ago but I just have to comment on it. Ok, when i was 14 i had pretty bad acne, I can't say REALLY bad cuz i have seen alot worst, and my derm said that I can be put on accutane but its really expensive and its only for people in the very extreme cases and I am not that extreme yet. class 5 acne or something... But from what i hear, you people went on accutane just to cure pores and blackheads? (not saying this in a bitchy way) but isn't it kinda trivial compared to people with class 5 acne (whatever that is)? Ya, cuz i have the problems with the pores and blackheads thing too now that I do have pretty clear skin and I can't believe that the board people talking about a treatment I was suggested 5 yeras ago. I hear accutane can cause permanent liver damage and the effects can last up to two years? After 2 years some people's skin tend to get uncontrolably bad again. Ok I posted about this some where else, but even though my skin is generally clear now, there are times when I'd get HUGE and PAINFUL zits on certain areas on my face. such as this specific spot on my left cheek and a place on the left side on the crease on my nose! Is there anyway of preventing them from forming, since I know that they are my "popular" spots?

And this is a super thread! Thanks for the starting it!

Can someone suggest a good compact foundation? thanks

Therefore, I suggest you use the Almay Skin clearing concealer which not only COVERS acne, it also TREATS acne. But don't count on it to clear up your face, only use it as a cover stick that won't worsen your acne. I also suggest you stick to Almay's line of concealers (they have 3 colors - plus a green one which is the worse in my opinion) instead of the ones from Clean and Clear (who don't cover up well at all), Neutrogena (too light; only comes in one ridiculous shade) or Clinique (too expensive and much less efficient than the one from Almay).

I'm starting to get pimples and blemishes on my face, and i have no clue how to cover them up..do I use foundation and concealer or just foundation...and which brand is do you Recommend? I dont want my face looking flacky or fake, I need help!

pointup said:
i have large pores on my nose and cheeks....also a lot of blackheads on these two areas...it seems that no matter how clear my skin gets, my nose is riddled with blackheads!!! :angry: know of any good ideas to shrink my pores and get rid of my blackheads??

Maybe try one of those after cleanser face peels, like the Totally Juicy grapefruit one.
It really sticks to your face and pulls a lot of of crap out of your pores! :flower:

hi all,
am not sure where i should post this but i need to know how to wash off foundation from my foundation brush. i tried using regular soap and it won't remove it completely. when i squeeze out the water from the brush, there is still foundation left. help please!

Hi Ichelle!

Try using lukewarm water with some drops of baby shampoo (the best to wash the fine hair from brushes). Then squeeze a bit the excess of water and let them dry flat. :wink:

Btw, still loving the Sonia Kashuk brushes :flower:

hi sofia :smile:
i tried washing the brush with my dove foaming facial cleanser and when i squeeze out the excess water, there is still foundation on the paper towel.

and glad you still love the brush set :smile: i use them every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"