the Fashion Spot in the News ... Clippings, Snippets & Mentions

BetteT

Reaction score
Members are always mentioning that they have seen tFS mentioned in the media ... in newspapers, magazines, websites, etc. So it was suggested the we have a place to post all these "sightings".

Thread Rules:
  • Please post anything that you see in the mainstream media that mentions the Fashion Spot, here.
  • Do not post from personal blogs, twitter, etc. unless the person is famous. If you are unsure, please ask a moderator.
  • If you quote something, please credit the quote, as required in the crediting rules.
  • Do not post images that have been credited to tFS on other sites. A photo credit will not be considered a "mention". We are looking for someone actually talking about us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one that has already been posted in another thread:
Excerp from an article from showstudio.com
Quote:

We're barely four days into the week, but the most compelling iteration of this future fantastic feeling, for me, came from Joseph Altuzarra. The man took a risk - think outerspace Out Of Africa, Neil Armstrong meets Verushka and any other conveniently pithy phrase to denote his collusion of sixties, space age and tribalism with a healthy dose of French chic. The results were undeniably up and down, love or hate, often walking that fine ugly-beautiful divide. But that's exactly what made them so exciting. Altuzarra confessed to me earlier this year that he reads the often vitriolic comments posted in The Fashion Spot's forums - no doubt he is blushing at the disservice already dealt to his pointed breast-cups, as reviled as they are revered. No matter, credit is due for Altuzarra's willingness to test the boundaries and chafe at restrictions in a season that already seems profoundly safe. I for one will jump for joy if I see any woman wearing his savagely chic snakeskin cone-bra - bravely pushing her breasts where no breasts have gone before.

yay :clap:
ookay...
this article is about newcomer Julia Saner about her beginning, and succes during the season aaaand, they mention tfs in it, even certain members!

Auf dem Forum von Thefashionspot.com kriegen sich die Modebegeisterten gar nicht mehr ein. Die Kommentare lauten unter anderem: «Für mich ist sie die Newcomerin der Saison» oder «Unglaublich, wie sie rockt. Ich freue mich, ihren Weg weiter zu verfolgen».
20min.ch

translation : In the forum thefashionspot the users go crazy. there are comments like "For me she's the best Newcomer of the season" or "unbelievable how she rocks! Im exctied to see where this girl goes"
sry for poor translation ;D

these comments are from user lanvinary and Melly5525 :smile:

thanks psylocke for finding! :flower:

One more:
Models.com interview with Katie Grand (excerpt:(
CM: That’s so fascinating to me because I think that everyone really perceives themselves differently but at the end of the day you must be aware of your influence over the public and the way people really follow what you do… Hearing you say just now that you didn’t have the confidence to “go there just yet” with these girls that you were inspired by… That is somewhat surprising…

KG: To a certain extent but then you do have those moments…and that’s the reason blogs really do your head in; the minute you start reading them you are just full of self loathing… I think what I learned from reading too much of TheFashionSpot is that the things that bother you are only things that you think yourself. I mean, if anyone had said anything bad about the Daria story from the last issue, it’s like, “Oh for God’s sake, she just looks like the most beautiful woman on the planet, shut up.”…Whereas there are other things that people pick up on and you’re just like, “ugh I know” … And those are the things that keep you up at night…

CM: So you read a lot of these blogs?

KG: I did on the last issue yeah. It became almost like an obsession because we were getting so many hits of people looking at stuff, to the point that I would just come in and say, “I’m just going to look at how many hits we’ve had today.” I wish we were like Topshop and had a weekly sales report of how many magazines we’re selling and where we’re selling them really well and all of that. You don’t get that until you come off sale six months later. You can phone Magma and say, “How many issues have we sold?” and you can see that Colette re-ordered three times… You get that information, but you don’t really get much guidance as to if something is doing well or not. So in this weird sadomasochistic way I became obsessed with TheFashionSpot and how many hits it was getting and then just got into that whole thing of, “well, I’ll just see,” and would literally stay awake at night getting preoccupied with what people were saying. It was a good experience, I don’t know if I’ll ever do it again…(laughs)

source: models.com

So interesting to see the Fashion Spot is elsewhere in the world apart from my computer screen.
I'm happy to say I praised Altuzarra's latest collection! :lol:

Hmmm, not sure if these qualify.......

What has us the most excited about this collection is that the clothes just look so much like Alber Elbaz’s work. The eagle-eyed industry minders at The Fashion Spot pointed out how similar some of these dresses look to the beautiful things Lanvin made for fall 2008, pre-fall 2009 and spring 2009. It would surprise us if some of these are direct copies — Elbaz himself has said he was surprised how well H&M could reproduce his work.

http://www.styleite.com/retail/lanvin-hm-ad-leaked-photos/

The folks over at The Fashion Spot are always on top of the latest and greatest and the first image of the Lanvin and H&M collaboration has been leaked.

http://www.examiner.com/women-s-fashion-in-national/lanvin-for-h-m-images-leaked

lol I like this thread. I also remeber tFS being quoted on an Obama cover...can't remembre when though.

one more from the 10th of november

ANNA DELLO RUSSO lives in a glass house — the virtual kind — her subtlest gesture or sartorial quirk scrutinized by her legions of fans. Pecking at their keyboards, those online viewers wax effusive. “She is like Coco Chanel to me,” one admirer exclaimed on The Sartorialist, the popular blog. “Isn’t she fabulous ... so jolie laide,” gushed another on The Fashion Spot; a third posting on Ms. Dello Russo’s blog, to her: “I love when you wear pink.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/fashion/11INFLUENCE.html?_r=1&ref=fashion

lol yeah I noticed too. There's another screenshot as well but its user is kinda concealed. I wanna buy this issue solely because of the tFS article.

We were mentioned on i-D a while ago:

i found this while reading the january 2004 issue of i-D (Posh Beckham cover :sick: :(

"From catwalk queen to rock goddess, let your jaw drop for Omahyra. She kinda scares us...

In the click of a mouse it was almost forgotten. But for one fly minute over the summer, an internet debate raged through the wire on The Fashion Spot messageboard. It began with a simple question: what were the pants that Omahyra Mota Garcia was wearing in a magazine spread? And it ended up taking a more sinister turn. "She kinda scares me," mused Juniper Bug, "but I like it."
"Okay," retorted Lolita Luxe. Omahyra elicits this kind of chow..."

it goes on to talk about her upcoming album (with fellow models mayana moura and isabel ibsen) and it says that, "The pants were by Viktor & Rolf by the way."

Another mention at NewYork magazine:

It's her in bed with her "husband Barack" in "her" Harvard sweatshirt. It's funny that in every image of this spread, which you can see on the Fashion Spot, Tyra wears the same Barbie Doll smile (hey, it's not her fault she looks that peachy naturally). But the thing is, for a woman who has a mental encyclopedia of 275 different smiles, why would she choose this particular one?

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2008/08/tyra_poses_as_michelle_obama_r.html?imw=Y

Words by James Anderson from Industrie #2. Inevitable horrible typos by me. I guess consider this a holder post until someone posts scans.
On the Spot

The guilty pleasure of the online fashion forum.

We all know they're out there; we all know they're talking about us. Online fashion forums like Fashionologie and The Fashion Spot are hotbeds of fannish dedication, scanned fashion stories and good old-fashioned slayings off. Not that any of us would be bothered by it enough to go on there and look, of course.

Human nature has long dictated that we want to know what people really think about us and ours - the stuff we say, do, own and create - whether their appraisals be kind or cruel. Online fashion forums are, of course, the newest-fangled method by which we can exchange our positive or negative views about others - often under a cloak of anonymity, via pseudonyms - without incurring a knuckle sandwich in the face by way of offended retort.

The fashion biz - crammed as it is full of amusing egomaniacs, eager gossip-lovers and hardcore novelty-seekers - is certainly not immune to interchanges of online opinion. Hence, not only does this megabillion-dollar global industry collectively and very effectively harness the internet to promote its wares directly to consumers - with street trends, the latest catwalk reports, news and gossip, retail offerings or just tips about how to 'get the look!' being splattered across cyberspace to a head-exploding degree - but it also plays host to dedicated forums in which enthusiastic fans and self-appointed experts can merrily big up or slag off every aspect of fashion to their hearts' content.

Sites such as fashionologie.com, models.com and thefashionspot.com appear to exist primarily to promote and advertise brands, designers, trends and models, drawing 'regular' punters and established and aspiring industry bods alike into their shiny, slick orbits. Subscribe and you can be part of an international gang. But it is their forums in particular which have, during the past couple of years, become so completing and addictive (sometimes masochistically so) to those professionally embroiled in setting trends and upholding fashion as both an artistic and commercial force.

Having made some enquiries - at style magazines, PR companies, model agencies and design studios - it soon became clear that no shortage of folks admit to checking up on what is being posted about their toils or those of their cohorts and rivals. 'I was talking about this to my flatmate just last night,' admits Dean Mayo Davies, assistant editor at i-D. 'I do look now and then to see what inane rants are going on. The Fashion Spot is a total guilty pleasure, isn't it? I haven't been slagged off yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time…'

Indeed, Mayo Davies's assertion that The Fashion Spot forums have become something of an illicit thrill to industry types is absolutely spot-on. It confirms why some of those fashion movers and shakers asked about this tend to chuckle slightly nervously, biting their lops, before admitting that they can't resist looking and confirming that, yes, they do cringe when they get a vicious slating, or even shamelessly cackle when someone else does. It might also explain why so many of them - designers, especially - are somewhat reticent about being quoted herein: we do it, sure, but we don't want to admit we do it in a magazine.

How does it feel, then, to see one's latest collection redacted to a stinging two-line ids by a forum frequenter of The Fashion Spot? For one successful London-based womenswear designer who prefers not to be identified, it was quite traumatic, actually: 'I don't mind if someone doesn't like my work,' she beings. ' Obviously, it won't appeal to everyone. But I remember looking on the forum after pictures from my show had been uploaded there a few seasons ago and feeling totally mortified because of some of the comments. It felt so cruel - people were reducing all the hard work, the time, the money that had gone into the collection and the show to a few disparaging words.' She continues: 'Mostly, I felt bad for my team - I get the chance to take about my work in interviews, with journalists who at least usually have some knowledge about the subject. But my team are more "behind the scenes" and don't always get that platform to explores their perspectives or talk about their roles and explain the design process.' There was some light at the end of the cyber tunnel, luckily: 'Although there were some really awful comments, there were good ones too,' she concedes. 'But it made me realise that it's very, very easy for people to tear your work to pieces in a totally blasé way on the internet. In fact, one of them was even mixing me up with a totally different designer at one point. So stupid!'

Ah yes, it seems on of the most irksome factors for those professionals falling foul of forums is that they perceive the commentators - accurately or not - as ill-informed, flippant and incurious: lacking sufficient awareness of fashion history to be able to appraise or deconstruct what are often complex ideas with any seriousness; in too much of a hurry to immerse themselves fully in a subject. Who are these silent assassins using laptops as their weapons? 'I have no idea whatsoever,' says Mayo Davies after a ponder. 'Supposedly they're people in the industry, or on the fringes of it - but their opinions are often so off the mark you have to wonder. They seem to have no comprehension of the way things really are.' This was an opinion touched upon by Katie Grand, who sparked an entire thread on The Fashion Spot after stating in issue one of Industrie, 'Authority is knowledge. If someone goes onto The Fashion Spot and writes that a certain magazine is dreadful, that's different from Cathy Horyn saying it is dreadful because there is an authoritative, experienced voice behind the latter point of view.'

Many posters subsequently insisted that a magazine such as Industrie couldn't flourish without the likes of The Fashion Spot, because the forum has helped propagate a mainstream interest in fashion - fair enough. None the less, some of those same posters - often quick to criticise the efforts of undeniably talented and internationally in-demand stylists, photographers, editors, designers and so on - did not appear to like having their own shortcomings so eloquently exposed. 'If it wasn't for TFS, would Katie Grand even be well known enough to have an article in Industrie?' asked 'nyc art style', rather naively.

'The problem with these forums,' begins Jo-Ann Furniss, editor in chief of Arena Homme Plus, a magazine often debated on The Fashion Spot, ' is that if someone in a bar just says out load, "Oh I hate that!" then the comment is gone immediately afterwards. But when they write it on a forum, with no sense of responsibility, it's permanent and can be frustrating and hurtful, because we want people to take the time and trouble to really look at, and actually read the writing and really get into the magazines - not just glance at a couple of images from it or glib comments that someone has made about it online and then base their entire judgement about the issue on that. We spend a long time thinking about and working on each issue, so we want people to really get a feeling for it.'

However, Furniss does enthusiastically acknowledge an appreciation for the time and effort that some posters go to on the forum: 'There is someone in China who seems love the magazine. It must be a real effort to even get hold of a copy of it there. He must spend hours and hours scanning images from it to put on the forum, and I love that. I like that people would take the time and trouble to do that, that they care enough to do it, that they love magazines. To me, that's much better than someone from Paris just writing, "Oh, that's boring!"' She also points out that criticism in itself is not a problem, either: ' We are not always totally in love with or satisfied with everything we do. We don't sit around in the office going, "Oh, we are geniuses!" So sometimes if someone writes on a forum that they don't like something in the issue, I might read it and think, "Yeah, me neither!"'

It is difficult to clearly discern how much actual influence the gushing praise or the damning slights filling up forums might have upon publishing houses or, perhaps more significantly, fashion houses. Rumours abound that certain megabrands - in particular, one British heritage name as well as an influential Italian label - are constantly poring over the online commentary about their latest collections or advertising campaigns, presumably to gauge whether or not they are still at the top of their game. An emailed request to the relevant PRs for some sort of answer to this very question gets bugger all response from one (bah!) and a curt 'This is not something which we wish to comment on at the moment' (yawn!) from another. Do they take heed from what they read, though? Might they change - even ever so slightly? - the mood or direction of their newest creations if a popular thread suggested that to be a wise move?

'Designers definitely do look at what people are writing about their shows,' insists Furniss. ' People do like to know what their audience might feel about what they do. But whether or not it affects what they do depends. A designer who is at the top level and genuinely brilliant works on instinct. High fashion has to leave, not follow; it has to anticipate what people might want. It is unlikely that they would be influenced at all by some comments on a forum. It would be very destructive if they were. And it's the same for stylists and photographers at the best level.'

Less surprisingly, perhaps, a senior member of the design team at one spectacularly popular high-street fashion chain - his identity withheld for fear of being sacked - makes no bones about the influence of forums upon his colleagues and employers: 'What people write about us on the internet is taken extremely seriously at work, yes,' he says. 'I've even seen print-outs of the comments from these sites being passed around the office. We all look at comments online and some of us even post ourselves. We are about selling huge volumes of affordable clothes. We are not expecting to be the most cutting-edge brand, though we do want to be on trend and be the most successful name on the high street. We have to pay attention to what the public are saying and writing about what we design - of course we do.'

One essential 'ingredient' in the recipe for fashion success - whether that's high fashion or pile-it-high-and-sell-it-cheap fashion - is the choice of certain models, used at just the right time, in just the right way, for maximum zeitgeist impact. And models certainly come in for some serious scrutiny on The Fashion Spot and models.com: one can only hope their thin frames are encased in thick skin. Poor Agyness Deyn, bless her, seems to incur as much flak as she does delight on The Fashion Spot's forum. For example: 'Ugh…She looks ridiculous in her new haircut. What a shame,' snipes Mousyy. 'Her jaw is too wide,' chirps Tashatoo, while Magnus helpfully points out, 'She has been wearing those shoes non-stop for the last few months.' Ouch!

Meanwhile, in the case of models.com, it is widely accepted among agencies that getting one of their models profiled favourably on the site is quite a big deal. 'All the agencies look at models.com, and most people in the industry use sites like that as a tool,' confirms Paul Hunt, senior booked at Premier Model Management. 'And yes, we strive to get our girls featured in the Model of the Week category or in the top 50.'

From a business point of view, could it be damaging if a model is given widespread negative feedback by users on the forums? Hunt doesn't think so: 'Agencies are less likely to pay attention to the forums as they often seem to be used more by people who aren't involved in the industry - wannabes or fashion students. If there are negative comments on there about one of our models - knocking her personally or criticising her look - we really feel for her, but we tell her just to take no heed of them.' Modelling is insanely competitive, so is it therefore possible that bookers might log in to these sorts of sites under assumed monikers and b*tch about their rivals' models? 'It has been rumoured to happen,' chuckles Hunt. 'Especially from those how are far less busy than ourselves. I bet there are a few twisted bookers out there who would do that - they're not all as nice as me! Frankly, to do so just seems desperate - though hilarious.'

Others are adamant that they would never involve themselves in responding to remarks made on the forums. In the case of Thom Murphy, the designer of menswear label New Power Studio, this is as much as anything do to the way he prioritises his time. 'I look at stuff that people say online now and then - and sometimes it's really good and sometimes not so good - but it's best to just let them get one with it.' he explains. 'We are so busy doing what we do every day and we want to stay focused on that. If other people have got time to sit around commenting on stuff that people are making, good luck to them!'

Jo-Ann Furniss cites a different reason from refraining from retorting on behalf of Arena Homme Plus. 'It's not my place to be involved with that. With the magazine, you are talking to an audience through ha camera, and you have to retain that wall between you and the audience - though we never patronise our audience because we assume they just know about things.' She elaborates: 'You wouldn't see an actor, when he's performing, pausing to say to the audience, "Oh, was that bit OK? Am I doing this right?", would you? Having said that, I have known certain editors occasionally replying and justifying themselves to people on forums, but I think it's undignified to do that.'

Not everyone is so keen to maintain the wall between themselves and forum users. Rick Owens, a designer known for his deliciously black sense of humour, is most impressively unphased by his internet haters. 'They are always kind of honest, absolutely viscous, and I do quite enjoy that,' he told Arena Homme Plus. 'I was looking at Fashion Spot or Zeitgeist, or something and it said, "Rick looks like a creepy guy who probably belongs to NAMBLA and lurks in the corners of gay bars looking for chickens to plough through…" It was really good! I kept it. I might well print it on a T-shirt.'

Just turn it into a look: isn't that always the most creative solution to a bit of fashion confrontation?

For as many "throwaway" comments there on are designer collection threads, there are some really good analyses, posts, and discussions here and there by a few tfs-ers.

Anja Rubik looks at her TFS thread, she said so here: http://frockwriter.blogspot.com/2011/01/sasha-knezevic-popped-question-to-anja.html

Quotes from frockwriter, all credit to Patty Huntington:

FW: You and Sasha just became engaged didn’t you? Congratulations.
AR: Yes, yes, we just got engaged a few days ago, just before Christmas. Noone really knows about it yet.

FW: They know about it on [one of the world's largest fashion web forums] The Fashion Spot.
AR: They know about it on TFS? You’re kidding me?

FW: They know everything.
AR: OMG, that’s really scary.
FW: It will be on TFS soon enough. (covers, editorials and other work Anja shot before Christmas)
AR: It’s crazy, sometimes they have editorial on there… I don’t know how they get it because it’s not even out. And sometimes there are people working for the magazines, they take a picture of the wall or the layout, which is crazy.

FW: Do you read your TFS thread?
AR: I do look at it but I have to say my secret is I don’t really read it. I just look at it from time to time when there’s new pictures. Because they have everything so so quick, that sometimes I’m curious because maybe the newest campaign is out. But I try not to read it because If someone is saying something really bad then I take it very personally so I try to avoid that. I mean I don’t know if they do. I think they’re quite nice but I just look at the pictures. It’s better that way for me. I keep myself more sane.

Don't know if this was mentionned before, but birdofparadise is quoted in 032c CDG issue (Winter 2011), about evergreen ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->