The Greatest Collections Ever Made

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
Tip: Before you post (here) a collection that you think is one of the greatest think about it carefully, don't just post it because you like the outfits there. Think what or why did it become such a great collection and why was it right for that time or, lastly, did it do anything for this designer's career. Example The New Look of Dior in 1947.

Since I'm not that good at scanning and stuff, I'll just use text. Versace's 80's collections were amazing because the put Italian baroque in a new context. Ferragamo's 60's platforms were amazing because they had that ancient world look, but they were so colorful and cheerful, they were kitsch then and their classics now. And, I might get arguments for this one, but Vuitton's murakami was fabulous b/c it showed that you could be 150 yrs old and cool and colorful, and elegant and classic.

I may spark a little controversy here, but I believe that John Galliano's Spring '02 Haute Couture collection for Christian Dior is one of the greatest collection seen in recent history. I believe so because first of all it is one of the shows that saved modern couture esp. after Yves' retirement, second of all it showed couture was alive and well and showed John's maverick brilliance for taking worldy heritages and transforming it into modern clothes and it showed John can take a used idea make it new and venture it out and break new territory. You may also ask where, oh where, is the wearability in these outfits? First of all when you present a couture show it nice to show your idea and go wild with your fantasy plus the jackets with Mongolian flower embroidery are very wearable and all outfits could be re-worked in Dior's couture atlier.

Other critical acclaim:

From Style.com
PARIS, January 21, 2002 – John Galliano proved last night that modern couture is alive and kicking with an adrenaline hit of sheer energy inspired by almost every aspect of Russian art and culture: circus, ballet, theater, art, literature and costume.
Galliano scrambled these elements together to forge a new and uncompromising vision. A khaki blouson was embroidered with Mongolian rosettes and worn with a box-bleated minitoga. A square-shouldered warrior coat in striped ticking, worn with a circular skirt, featured knife-pleated floral insets. A long, peplum-waisted military jacket was smothered in golden bows and paillettes, and worn over a slightly bustled long brocade skirt.

Set to the booming drum beats of near-naked Japanese Kodo musicians sampling '80s hits by Bow Wow Wow and Adam Ant, the Dior show had the allure of a magical circus parade. A floor-length paneled coat incorporated denim, gold brocade, Mongolian lamb and matelassé silk, capped with gold fringe epaulettes. Dancers pliéd out in tutus made from denim taffeta and fur, or curlicue rattan ribbons. The contortionists wore black sequined shorts. And everyone looked thoroughly, defiantly, alive.

– Stephen Todd

From IHT:Defiant Galliano Conjures Exotic Fantasy
By Suzy Menkes (International Herald Tribune)
Tuesday, January 22, 2002

PARIS: In a dramatic and defiant gesture, as bold as the half-naked samurais banging the drums to start the Dior show Monday, John Galliano took on his critics and even challenged the fashion territory sacred to Yves Saint Laurent: the fantastic, exotic world of Leon Bakst and the Ballets Russes.

As a show it was an extraordinary spectacle, rich in color, festive in spirit and a workout nonpareil for the Dior ateliers. Forget the dancer in black leather and fishnet snaking her body into a knot. Far more exceptional was the stretch that seamstresses gave to their talents in appliquéing golden sunflowers on swooshing, huge-sleeved coats or make patchworks of leather into a ballooning jacket.

From the tops of their fluorescent-colored Cossack hats to the soles of their soft suede yeti boots, this was a Galliano tour de force.

But for clothes to suit the spring-summer 2002 season, this heroic clash of ethnic cultures and haute couture on the roof of the world was strictly for Slavs to fashion.

Such a fabulous show, in the literal sense of the word, raises once again the meaning and purpose of couture. Galliano's imagination is amazing. A human dragon dance filled the shiny runway, followed by costumes more elaborate than anything in the Russian state circus, as ballerinas in vivid tutus twirled ribbons on the runway and Dior's fashion army walked out waving multicolored flags.

Even the showbiz line-up, including Gwen Stefani of the group No Doubt in a cute leather Dior hat, plus Gwynneth Paltrow and Ridley Scott, looked blown away, rather than blasé. The audience in the giant tent at the Auteuil racecourse rose to its feet, as Galliano walked the runway with gleaming bare torso and embroidered pants - dressed for the trapeze in something he might have picked up on his recent inspirational trip to the Russian steppes.

Folkloric fashion is nothing new for designer labels - even if it has never been so superbly done. In the 1970s, the hippie trail led Kenzo to explore similar territory and Saint Laurent famously invented the hautest of hippies.

But how different the world was then! The innocent pleasure in discovering far-flung places preceded virtual reality and the all-too-present horrors of ethnic and tribal warfare brought to television screens. Those designers also predicated their inventions on creating a wardrobe of clothes. Of course, Dior executives will claim that clients can excavate the layers of costume to find a cherub-printed chiffon dress, a slender knitted tunic or a coat with folkloric embroidery from a Mongolian treasure trove. The elongated sleeves on a toy-town denim soldier jacket will also be shortened. And the burst of joyous color should inspire a shaken post-Sept. 11 world.

This exoticism to the extreme, although glorious to watch, makes couture a homage to art and craft - but not to the women couture is supposed to serve.

Perhaps the only client likely to order an outfit as shown is Mouna Ayoub, dressed in Afghan embroidered vest, leather Stetson and matching pants and two vast jonquil and pale pink diamond rings.

I think one of the most iconic collections is that of St.Laurent in the 60's. For example, the amazing woman's suits that he made. That not only did something for fashion but says something about the state of the world of the time. Plus, the ever iconic minidress. Now of course as I'm typing this I can't remember the name of the dress but he made that beautiful colorblock mini and that is still a classic today. I can't find pictures (or rather am too lazy) but these are collections that not only presented beautiful clothes but also altered the reality of fashion at the time and set new standards.

i think the saint laurent finalle was by far the phlyest!also the last zac posen was to be reconed with!

i think this is the collection that heralded the arrival of tom ford on top of that the campaign!

I know that this is too recent for most people to consider it trully great but I think Balenciaga's SS 05 collection was undeniably groundbreaking. It reminded me why I love fashion and why it is an art, not superficial self-adornment. Moreover it was clearly sumptuous and ladylike/naval but at the same time, it was somehow minimalist. It proved that you don't have to be one OR the other. Only the French huh?

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9402&page=1&highlight=balenciaga

Also Westwood's greatest collections should be up there -i.e. Anglomania. Why? Well because they show British fashion kicks ***!

London and Paris are the WAY to go.

Hedi Slimane's menswear collections (in 1999 and 2000) for YSL Rive Gauche were certainly landmark, I think. Looking back on them now, after 6 years, is really interesting and refreshing to see just how influential they were and how they helped to redefine tailoring, details, and the use of materials and color in menswear. I only wish now that I had bought more of the items when I had the chance!

John

rach2jlc said:
Hedi Slimane's menswear collections (in 1999 and 2000) for YSL Rive Gauche were certainly landmark, I think. Looking back on them now, after 6 years, is really interesting and refreshing to see just how influential they were and how they helped to redefine tailoring, details, and the use of materials and color in menswear. I only wish now that I had bought more of the items when I had the chance!

John
You stole the words from my mouth :smile:

Lanvin Fall/Winter 2004
breakthrough for Elbaz
and completely perfect, perfect from first to last piece

00470f.jpg

00420f.jpg

00020f.jpg

00030f.jpg

00060f.jpg

from style.com.
http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2004RTW/LANVIN/RUNWAY/00420f.jpg

For me the collection that most effected me was Tisci's givenchy RTW Debut . It was the first show that was me..... that collection was what my soul looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->