The House Of Schiaparelli

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Incroyable, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Does anyone not think that the house of Schiaperelli could do with a major revamp?

They still maintain a desirable location at Place Vendome yet they hawk tee-shirts, and other dreaful dross.

The label has prestige, and a history of collaborations with such luminaries as Dali. Viktor & Rolf might be a fine choice of directors.

Schiaparelli Website.

2. asta

asta New Member

i like to think that the house of schiaparelli was already at its best... elsa played with the surreal in an interesting manner... at a time when it was tongue in cheek... and unexpected... i do not think that it should be re-opened.

3. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

One can state that the age of Jacques Fath, and Christian Dior might have passed but since then Disney, and Galliano have revived them to a fine degree. Of course Galliano's image of traditional Dior is controversial but the point remains that the house is again high profile.

As can be said of Balenciaga, Rochas, etc.

4. clay

clay New Member

I did not even know that they still existed. Does the shop in paris sell this t-shirt and crap also?

5. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Worth actually still exists as well. In a highly indecent manner unworthy of Charles Frederick.

I think that the shop in Paris is more of an office at this point. But presumably they might have this filth.

6. asta

asta New Member

but balenciaga and dior are not at their best... and that is a shame.

i think it is a travesty that galliano does not focus more on his own line... he has incredible talent.

and as for balenciaga? what has the line produced since the embarassing kaisik wong fiasco? scuba clothes? i certainly don't see that as a revival. maybe nicolas ghesquiere gave it a jump start with his bags and his painter's pants... but.... what else has he done that even compares with the original brand? even now he is forced to dig through the balenciaga archives and reproduce pieces to gain sales. but if one can not modernize a label in an interesting fashion, then is there a point to any of it? well, aside from monetary incentive, that is...

7. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

:blink: .......those bags , somebody fan me i need air.

8. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

I am saying that Balenciaga has gone through a revival already if to consider their absurd licenses that they had.

Ghesquiere is not much of a setter but his revision of the balloon skirt was fair enough.

9. asta

asta New Member

but is a "revival" necessary if the product no longer lives up to the original?

why can't designers just start their own labels, instead of working for great houses that are being reopened, redone, and passed around through a circle of conglomerates like a side of butter?

i think that would be more conducive to originality....

10. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Based from a financial viewpoint it would be very worthwhile. From a nostalgic point also worthwhile but that might be divided into factions.

Designers starting their own labels in this day is hard. Yes, Proenza-Schouler, Boudicca, etc. but the financial potency is dubious. Vivienne Westwood is well known for their financial predicaments.

Major houses in stagnation are very decadent in my opinion. And I love a comeback a la Marlene Dietrich, and Norma Desmond to a lesser degree.

11. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Well, Andre Leon Tally said in Vogue that from Zac Posen's Spring 2004 collection he is worthy of opening a sleeping beauty such as Schiap. :sick:

Anyone, but Zac. PLEASE! I'm not keen on Viktor & Rolf either esp. based from their recent collections.

I'm not sure if I want the house revamped. If Karl Largerfeld cannot produce collections that equal Coco's and is way too commercial, then what's the use?

I know I'm skeptical on revamping based on most designers doing houses today, though if a designer can still stay true to the house while bringing in fresh concepts and aesthetics then yes.

12. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Franco Moschino gene-spliced with Viktor & Rolf would be good for Schiaparelli

13. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

the perfect mix prince! go get the dna samples and meet me in the laboratory.

I can't believe they are selling this type of crap with her name on it. Where is the eccentric Elsa touch?

I recently bought 3 vintage Schiaprelli scarves at the thrift and turned them into throw pillows. Everybody that comes over asks where they came from....

14. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

I really don't see anything wrong with reviving certain houses. I don't mind what Karl has done with Chanel and I love with the way Oliver Thyskens, Alber Elbaz, and Nicholas Ghesquire have taken to their respective houses. Of course you have a few dissapointments like Dior and Givenchy but I mean... If the right designer with the right attitude were to take over Schiaprelli I think it could be a great thing. To me all those old houses were a lot about sophistication not just in the look but the architecture and construction of the clothing. You need another Mcqueen, Galliano (young galliano), Ghesquire, or a Belgian/Dutch. Sorry but the Belgians/Dutch know how to cut.

15. nuiko

nuiko New Member

:cry:

16. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

I haven't yet read all of this, but I think that what's happened with Givenchy is fairly relevant here. I feel that sometimes the past work should be left well enough alone. Enough with the numeorous messy attempts at revival... It can get to be almost disrespectful of the original designer's vision.

17. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I love Schiaprelli, but I really see no point in reopening a house oenc the designer is gone

18. seditionary

seditionary New Member

until u brought this to our notice.. no1 here really knew that schap was still "in business" ... i had presumed.. that the label died when she did...
    poor elsa...
    terrible... a label living off of the stylised version of her signature...
    yeurch... she must b turning in her grave
    well business is business...
    that is mainly what fashion has become..
    couture shows becoming more of an extended advert for their handbag n shoes sales..
    fashion is no more
    jus like most of the great designers
    vive la mort

19. ultramarine

ultramarine chaos reigns

I'll have to agree that Givenchy has broken records of the messy collections seen season after season and designer after designer .. but that's just one case ... I agree that IT IS hard for a renowned house to finally hire a designer who understands the original designer's vision ... but if houses died with the designer, don't you think it would be absolutely awful that there were only a couple of thousand pieces of clothing out there and now no more? It wud be completely lost!
    Schiapparelli's unique concepts are definitively worth having .. if in the ideal situation of having a designer who would interpret her vision correctly, would you say no?

20. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

I suppose so, if the right designer was finally found. For example, I think that Carl Langerfeld's done a fairly good job with Chanel. He's maintained a lot of the major elements from the original line, but still manages to make sure that the label's not only well-regarded, but also popular! I do think that while it can be tricky, it would be fantastic to have a designer who would keep Schiaperelli alive. Someone a bit like Agatha Ruiz de la Prada, but with more of an adult side, maybe. It's difficult though, because there has to be that balance of wanting to move forward, but also appreciating what the first creations were about. I think that Schiaperelli needs a designer with youth, bravery and maybe an artistic background. A designer who likes Picasso, even. :wink: That prized painting of hers... A designer who's slightly crazy, but brilliant too. Not trashy though, like Galliano either. It's hard!