The Leather Handbag Designed By Leonardo DaVinci...and on sale soon

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Now it's the da Vinci handbag: Italian fashion house to launch calfskin handbag... designed by Renaissance genius[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dailymail.co.uk[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Painter, scientist and inventor, he was the ultimate Renaissance man. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He deployed his genius across a wide range of subjects from anatomy and biology to mechanics and hydraulics.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As an engineer, he conceived ideas vastly ahead of his time, conceptually inventing the helicopter, the submarine and the parachute.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But it seems Leonardo da Vinci, the man who gave us the Mona Lisa, can also be credited with another creation – the designer handbag.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is believed he drew his sketch of an ornate leather accessory in 1497 while he was painting The Last Supper.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now a luxury Italian brand has decided to manufacture a bag based on Leonardo's design – more than five centuries after his death.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scholars reconstructed fragmented drawings of the bag. Their work was then seized upon by Florence fashion house Gherardini, which made a prototype of the bag.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The finished product, named 'Pretiosa' which means 'precious', is going on sale this year. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Art historian Alessandro Vessozi, director of the Museo Ideale in Leonardo's birthplace, helped to reassemble the drawing. He said: 'Leonardo designed several fashion accessories, but this bag is pretty unique.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]'It blends beauty and functionality in a very harmonious way.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]'The Pretiosa is the expression of modern technique and aesthetics and, at the same time, embodies a provocative idea conceived together with the Leonardo da Vinci Ideal Museum.'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The sketch was first discovered by Leonardo scholar Carlo Pedretti in 1978 among tens of thousands of the inventor's drawings, but it failed to attract much attention at the time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The refined handmade bag, designed by Carla Braccialini based on the Leonardo original, is made of calfskin. It was unveiled at the Pitti W fashion show in Florence by the Italian actress Maria Grazia Cucinotta, who appeared in the James Bond film The World Is Not Enough.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lorenzo Braccialini, marketing director of Braccialini, Gherardini holding company, said yesterday: 'It's a very chic handbag. It is also very functional and capable. It embodies the best Florentine tradition of leather work.'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Only 99 of the bags have been made – and will go on sale at the beginning of March. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The price has not yet been set. Given its exclusivity, it is likely to retail for many thousands of pounds.[/FONT]

Attachments

• leonardo1.jpg
    leonardo1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 17
  • leonardo2.jpg
    leonardo2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4
  • leonardo3.jpg
    leonardo3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5
thanks for this lucy...
i love the idea...
unfortunately...im not crazy about the way it was executed...
i would never look at that bag and that drawing and think they were the same thing...

the drawing is so beautiful...
i'm a bit disappointed really...
:ermm:...

This is interesting to me, I never would have guessed that he designed a handbag !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->