The Perricone Promise

Bonchic

Reaction score
I saw him on Oprah the other day and his books sparked a interest! But I already made a promise to myself to finish another book from the library before I checked out anymore so I'm going to try and finish the last half of the book tonight. So on the show people said they noticed a difference in 3 days! Anyways I'm curious has anyone tried this? It sounds incredibly healthy and wonderful! Here's what I dug up on him.... biography etc...

Perricone4.jpg
Nicholas Perricone, MD. FACN

Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN, is a board certified clinical and research dermatologist. A brilliant scholar, Dr. Perricone completed medical school in just 3 years, graduating with distinction. He completed his internship in Pediatrics at Yale Medical School and his Dermatology Residency at Ford Medical Center . Dr. Perricone is regarded as the Father of the Inflammation Theory of Aging. He is the author of the three New York Times # 1 Best Sellers, The Perricone Promise (Warner Books 2004), The Perricone Prescription, A Physician’s 28 Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation (HarperCollins 2002), and The Wrinkle Cure (Warner Books 1998). Dr. Perricone is the focus of a series of award-winning Public Television specials airing nationally on PBS-TV. His shows have been immensely popular, raising over $16 million during membership drives and placing them in the top three of all time fund raisers for public television.

Dr. Perricone is a popular guest on national television, appearing on the Oprah Winfrey Show, the Today Show, 20/20, Good Morning America, The View, CNN, Fox, Extra, Access Hollywood as well as many news broadcasts. He has been featured in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, W, Forbes, People , USA Today and a host of other major magazines and newspapers. In 2001, Vogue named Dr. Perricone one of the best dermatologists in the U.S. In addition, he is a frequent keynote speaker on the medical and business lecture circuit.

Dr. Perricone is Adjunct Professor of Medicine at the Michigan State University ’s College of Human Medicine . He is certified by the American Board of Dermatology, is a Fellow of the New York Academy of Sciences, and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and the Society of Investigative Dermatology. Dr. Perricone has served as Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Yale School of Medicine and as Chief of Dermatology at the state of Connecticut ’s Veterans Hospital .

Dr. Perricone is the recipient of the Eli Whitney Award, presented by The Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association to an outstanding individual who has made significant contributions to science, invention, and technology. Prior recipients include National Medal of Science beneficiary, Igor Sikorsky, (founder of Sikorsky aircraft) inventor of the first practical helicopter, which established the bedrock upon which today's helicopter industry rests, and Buckminster Fuller, inventor of the geodesic dome–the lightest, strongest, and most cost-effective structure ever devised. Dr. Perricone is also the recipient of the American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM) 2000 Norman E Clark, Sr. Lecture Award for his, “dedication and contributions towards advancing Complementary and Alternative Medicine.”

Dr. Perricone holds dozens of US and international patents for the treatment of skin and systemic disease, and for the use of topical anti-inflammatories for reversing and preventing damage to skin caused by factors such as age, the sun, the environment, and hormonal changes.

He is the author of numerous scientific articles, is a contributing editor to the peer-reviewed medical journal Skin and Aging , and is a member of the editorial board of Archives of Gerontology & Geriatrics. He has contributed a chapter on antioxidants and aging for a recent textbook written by scientists from Stanford University .

He resides in Connecticut .

perricone3.gif
perricone2.jpg

Perricone1.jpg
perricone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonchic I saw him on Oprah too. I thought his ideas on ageing and nutrition were quite interesting so I tried to find out about his research work a little further. I was unable to find any articles he has published in peer-reviewed medical/scientific journals about his research on inflammation and ageing, so I'm guessing his theory hasn't been sustantiated by any publishable research. His ideas on nutrition sound very healthful, although certainly not ground-breaking. It's information that has been around for awhile now. I also checked his claims about being on the editorial board of Archives of Gerontology & Geriatrics and it appears thatthere is a P V Perricone on the board (but not N Perricone....hmmmm:innocent:) I cannot even find a peer-reviewed medical journal called Skin and Aging. I'm sure he is a great businessman with a great marketing team, but I'm a little sceptical of his scientific claims.

Forgive me for sounding like such a sceptic..it's just that I work in the area of medical research myself and I always like to read the original research articles to substantiate the claims that people make in books such as these.

I also found this about him.
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/perricone.html

it's okay it's good to hear both sides:wink: I want to read his books and see what all you have to do to get the results etc.. since I'm already a vegetarian (well somewhere between vegetarian and pescotarian) I think it'll be good to get the full benefits of eating/living healthy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he was right on target when it comes to eating healthy. It really does make a BIG difference.

My boyfriend and I were just debating whether or not diet effects the skin. I say no, he claims yes. I checked out reviews of Perricone's book on amazon and almost all of them were positive. However, the quack watch article has certainly made me skeptical. None of his advice is clinically proven to work.

Diet has a huge effect on your skin. Your skin is the largest vital organ you have. It's job ranges from temperature control and protection to elimination. You skin is also the lagest eliminative organ you have and is sometimes referred to as your "third kidney". Your skin is supposed to elminate each day as much as your lungs, kidney and bowles do. The effects or by-products of many foods you consume will congest and inflame your system. Skin conditions are only signs of this process. As the body attempts to eliminate these by-products, you can experience anything from dandruff, pimples and rashes, to dermatitis, psoriasis and skin cancer.

Some people are lucky and don't have much elimination through their skin.

I'm not saying I agree with Perricone's diet. But he is correct in relating diet to skin problems.

I don't agree with taking a bunch of systhetic vitamins though.

For some people I believe your diet has a greater effect on their skin than others.. Take me for example. With a good diet, exercise and good skincare my skin is much better than it was a few months ago. Besides if you already have good skin then you should focus on what it's doing for your body on the inside^_^ :wink:

I agree with the idea that a person's diet affects how his or her skin looks. I am only familiar with Dr. Perricone's "Acne Prescription" book where he proposes an 'anti-inflamitory' diet to help cure acne..along with his very expensive topical products. At one point, I was so desperate, I considered trying this diet, but it calls for LOTS of salmon and I couldn't bring myself to eat fish.

I feel like Dr. Perricone is correct about the diet, but when I see him and see the cost of his products, I don't really trust him. I think he's "all about the Benjamins"

I purchased this book thinking I'd unlock the door the beautiful skin. However, I returned it immediately. Basically, he recommends to eat lots of greens lots of cantaloupe get your omegas and anti oxidants, save your money. and if you need help finding out what sort foods are good for skin google it, you'll find nothing new in his book.

^that doesnt suprise me....thanks for your review....
people are always looking for an easy answer.....some sort of SECRET....
really they make it far more complicated than it is....

a holistic approach to healing ANYTHING is the best way....
great skin is no exception....
eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, getting good rest, enjoying your life, de-stressing, exercising, spirituality, creativity, hormonal balance....these things are ALL equally important...
and naturally we are not in perfect harmony all the time.....we all have imbalances and predispositions.....we have to work hard to balance things out and re-train our minds, bodies, etc....

thats the danger of these 'miracle' cures, diets, etc.....
there is no MIRACLE.... they are terribly misleading....
no one thing is going to cure what ails you.....
but finding your weaknesses and working to strengthen them will certainly get you on your way.....

of course skin is related to diet...
as well as stress and hydration and exercise and happiness and all these other things....BALANCE is key.....

well you don't have to buy the book to read it. I checked it out from the library:wink:

Has anyone used any of the N.V. Perricone products? The price of some of the products are close to obsene!

OEZn52NJ.jpg

selfridges.com

Perricone MD's No Blush blush restores the colour and radiance of youthful cheeks while addressing compromised architecture of cheekbones. This unique cheek serum imparts a universally flattering rosy glow in a self-adjusting shade that simulates the flush of youth.

Cheeks cream now? :huh: actually I don't doubt it's good since Perricone makes great products but this thing of making too specific treatmeants is getting really annoying.

I started following Perricone in 2002. Went off salmon the last three years and was really surprised, not just in my skin, but in my mood changes. Added fish back a few months ago and feeling soooo much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->