The Returned (Les Revenants)

Belowen

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this show? I've just started watching it, and it's the perfect mix of creepy and beautiful.

In a small mountain town, many dead people reappear, apparently alive and normal: road accident victim teenager Camille; suicidal bridegroom Simon; "Victor", a small boy who was murdered by burglars; and Serge, a serial killer. They try to resume their lives as strange phenomena occur: amongst recurring power outages, the water level of the reservoir mysteriously lowers, revealing the presence of dead animals and a church steeple, and strange marks appear on the bodies of the living and the dead.

Yeah, it was really atmospheric and creepy (especially Victor).

They made a big deal of it here in the UK because I think it was the first time they'd shown a subtitled show in primetime on network TV. In the first week all the adverts were French too. Then in the second week they were British ads, but with French subtitles.

I think with the success of Scandinavian dramas here recently (The Killing/The Bridge/Borgen), people are becoming more open-minded about watching shows in foreign languages with subtitles. I've always felt the same way about movies. Doesn't matter what language it's in - if it's a great movie, it's worth seeing.

How far into it are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouA
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->