The vegetarian and vegan thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little late but: thanks for the answers guys :flower: I've actually visited a nutritionist now (also due to the skin- and general health-problems I'm suffering from atm) and I will try a "4-week-no-meat-programme" now. Sounds quite funny but for me it will be really tough I guess :P Like I said: I really love meat. And no, not the KFC/ McDoo kinda meat, but delicious prepared steaks, Schnitzel etc. I never really liked red meat though, so at least I haven't been that bad.
Anyways: the programme has a whole recipe-plan (also with suggestions for meat-surrogate like Tofu, Surimi, Quorn etc.) so now I'm really excited about trying all these new things out. Will let you know how it goes and what effects it actually has on me in the end.
I guess I'll be more regular to this thread from now on hehe ^_^ I've already spied some nice recipes here I defenitely have to take a closer look to!

Can anybody explain the calcium lactate/sulfate/etc. thing to me? My friend avoids it because she says it is derived from cow's milk. :huh: True? I have been avoiding it too, but I think I read that it is synthetic.

^I'm not sure what you are referring to, but between the ages of 18 months to 4 years we lose 90-95% of an enzyme needed to digest lactose, a sugar in milk. So when you drink milk, our intestines become a breeding ground for bacteria and cancer cells.

I've stopped drinking milk straight-up lately, after reading somewhere that there's puss in milk. Even though it's pasturized puss is white and milk is white the imagery makes it so I can't stomach it anymore.

I think the last time I had milk was as a teenager.My mom would make my sister and I drink a glass of milk,if she could,at dinner.The smell really bothers me to this day.I don't know if I'd let my kids have dairy, knowing about all the bacteria in it now.
uh oh there's the tsunami alarm again

Non-dairy cheeses - I tried a few when I was vegan for a little while (I've been vegetarian for a loooooong time and I don't eat much dairy but being completely vegan didn't work out for me) and honestly they aren't great. The ones that come in packets of slices are ok but I tried one which was a lump of "cheese" from a brand called Cheezly, and it was so bad! Unless you have a specific need to use something that mimics cheese I probably wouldn't bother with them.

I don't tend to eat dairy because I get a film over my contact lenses some time after eating it - it must be part of the mucus-producing properties that I hear mentioned. It makes me feel like I'm part-robot and human food is incompatible with the perfomance of my cyborg eyes.

But I do feel there's no point in demonising any foodstuff, imagining that it's a river of potential infection. Everything's going to have ten million viruses on each inch of its surface area. We probably each consume several grams of manure each year (or we should, if we're eating enough root vegetables). A fruit tree might be drawing up nutrients from decomposed remains. And if we didn't have bacteria in our gut, we might succumb to some other disease long before any cancer cells kill us. Everything in moderation helps to give our immune system some exercise.

I don't want to argue. I'll just stick to what I know and what works for me.

I am going to try to cut out milk for two weeks and see what happens. Eliminating straight milk shouldn't be hard, but it's going to be more difficult cutting out butter and cheese, since I live on dorm food. But I'll try...

What is everyone's view on honey?

It makes me feel like I'm part-robot and human food is incompatible with the perfomance of my cyborg eyes.

wow :rofl::heart:

^I avoid honey, but I don't think it's that big a deal. I get that sometimes bees die during harvesting (or something :ninja:), but I'll gladly kill a cockroach that comes into my house, so it would be hypocritical to be sad over a dead bee but not a roach, right? :unsure::lol: The only product I own that has honey in it is my shampoo; I can live with that little amount.

What is everyone's view on honey?

I don't have it. It doesn't hurt the bee to eat it, but I don't use it. ^_^

I don't think my question got answered exactly. For example, Wheat Thins.

I had some left over hummus in the fridge and since I was out of Triscuits, I grabbed the W.T. and the label said it contained calcium phosphate. It doesn't contain milk ingredients, but is that a milk derivative from cow's milk?

I LOOOVE honey but I don't eat it,so far this year I mean.There's delicious lavender honey that I dream about! I even got raw honey but it's not the same...a hazard to eat it almost!

^^The calcium phosphate could definitely be from milk, but it may be vegan (yay for minerals from rocks! :magic::P). You'd have to ask the company.

I've never made one,except from lentils (my mom's recipe) and it really isn't a burger.But it's good.Cook lentils for 20 minutes, let cool,mash them up partially and mix with finely chopped onions and a little flour and something pasty to keep it together, like ketchup,with some Bragg's.Then shape into patties and fry on low-medium in olive oil until crispy on both sides.
This recipe is loose as I don't have my mother's.Hope you enjoy if you do make it!

All of this talk about honey is making me miss fresh honey sticks from the farmer's market. Man oh man...

http://sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2009/02/04/kidney-bean-and-quinoa-burgers/

Yep, I made these last night and it's the best recipe i've tried.

I used a can of tinned beans with no problem.
This looks yum, but whats corn starch? Like corn flour?
I am a meat eater but not really a big one and after reading an article in my mums magazine I have decided to be even less of one! So I'll be in here more often. I love veggie burgers as well so I wanna try these ones.

Today was awful being a veggie. I got completely attacked for my meal choices at the lunch room today by two girls I go to school with (we've had no problems in the past). It was completely pointless to try and express myself and I kept trying to end the topic by stating what I do and do not eat is a personal choice.
I feel badly because I've done a ton of research and I know what's right for me, but I ended up breaking down today. I'm just tired of being attacked. People are constantly making comments about my body, what I eat, and have had the nerve to go to my family and tell them I'm ruinning my health and/or body. I would never go up to someone and criticize what they eat or tell them they look fat. And, I feel that telling someone they are too thin is just as rude and saying someone is too fat! Anyways, just needed to rant. I've already downed a good glass of almond milk and a huge vegan cookie so life is alright :smile: But, the irony of all this is I live in Seattle...probably one of the most vegan/vegetarian, eco-friendly places in the states :smile:

Awww hun, I would just say I don't like meat. That used to be why I never ate it.

And, I feel that telling someone they are too thin is just as rude and saying someone is too fat!

Especially when they say it in that awful, condescending way. Like it sounds like a compliment, but it's actually an insult.

You could also say you have an animal protein allergy or Crohn's Diease so you can't eat animal products. That is, if you don't have a problem with lying. I sometimes say that when people won't leave me alone about it! :angry:

Out of curiousity, how healthy are their diets for them to think it's their place to impose their opinion about someone else's eating habits?

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a little obsessed with cheeeeeese and most vegan cheese is a little disappointing. :shock:

I've been reading about this vegan cheese called Daiya that people are raving about. I finally tried it on pizza (at Candle 79 in NYC) and it's pretty amazing. It even appears to melt!

Downside is that according to their website, it's not available at retail yet, only for restaurants. I have heard that in the meantime some shops are buying it wholesale (told you I was obsessed) and repackaging it. I've not found that yet though.

And tigerrouge, that thing about contact lenses is really interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->