The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread #2

tullepen

Reaction score
Moderator's note:

• In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
  • Please do not power post e.g. make empty posts with no info/questions/images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use search function.
Thank you.

I like popcorn with olive oil sprinkled on it,yummy

Last edited by a moderator:
Just olive oil?? I would imagine that would be slippery!

I love wasabi, not a lot of it but a little is good. Blue Diamond came out with Wasabi almonds. And I like wasabi peas.

I tried sprinkling Cinnamon on popcorn once...it didn't work out so well.

No,I don't imagine it would.
No,just like a tablespoon of olive oil sprinkled liberally so it doesn't get slippery haha.

I like to sprinkle vinegar on my popcorn, and a bit of sea salt :chef:

I should try that sometime because I love to put vinegar on my steamed veggies.

I see Tullepen, my bad :smile: I guess a tablespoon would make sense.

Just be careful because I've had incidents where I've used way too much vinegar and it's ruined the entire batch of popcorn :lol:

Has everyone seen Alicia Silverstone's appearance on Oprah? It's aired a few times and each time it does, book stores sell out of her new vegan cookbook, which looks/sounds amazing.

^ I looked through her book at Border's a while ago and although it's thick, there aren't a lot of recipes there. It's more about educating people on the lifestyle of Veganism. But I have to say the recipes she did offer up looked pretty good. But I would say not even half the book is made up of recipes. If you want them you're probably better off printing them off a website.

I'm making cornbread now,it smells sooooooooo good muumum!

Oooh, a second thread! :clap:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the book Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook is fantastic. My ex is a Vegan (I'm a vegetarian) and the recipes in the above mentioned book are delicious.

I love this cookbook. The only thing I was disappointed about was their aversion to nutritional yeast. I know a lot of people find it unpleasant, but I weirdly like it. I just haven't found that many uses for it yet.

I also really like their Vegan Cupcakes books. Yummy.

And Anna026, yes wheatgrass! :lol:

I made a really nice mushroom & gruyère tart for dinner tonight - I can post the recipe if anyone is interested ^_^

I made a really nice mushroom & gruyère tart for dinner tonight - I can post the recipe if anyone is interested ^_^

That sounds lovely. I would love it if you could post the recipe.:flower:

Though I did have a rather embarrassing outcome when attempting to make the mushroom recipe you posted a while back. The recipe called for red wine and somehow I got in my mind red wine VINEGAR. Regardless to say the dish came out terrible and my house stunk like vinegar for days. :doh:

Someone with any cooking experience would have realized no recipe calls for that much vinegar but I am clueless.
:innocent:

The grocery store by my house sells vegan ice cream. One flavor is called "Chocolate peanut butter swirl." It's absolutely delectable. I'm trying to learn how to make it myself.

Wow making vegan ice cream must be labor intensive!
My friend gave me a really cool silk screen vegan badge, it's in a metallic blue of a hand in a V and the letter e g a n next to it,on a mossy green background. Going to sew it on a shirt today.

Okay guys, here is the Mushroom & Gruyère Tart recipe... I made the crust from scratch, so if you need the crust/base recipe let me know. Otherwise a pre-made store bought crust should be fine.

1 large egg lightly beaten (if making crust from scratch)
1 garlic bulb unpeeled
115g (4oz) ricotta cheese
60ml (4 tbsp) creme fraiche or sour cream
2 tbsp salted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
675g (1 1/2 lb) mixed mushrooms (such as oyster, chanterelle, shiitake and portobello)
115g (4oz) grated gruyere
28g (1oz) pine nuts
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius (400F). Roll out the pastry dough and transfer to a 23cm tart tin. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, prick with a fork and brush the surface with lightly beaten egg. Bake for 10 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Boil the garlic bulb in a saucepan filled with water for 15 minutes then drain. When cool enough to handle, pop the cloves out of their skins and mash in a bowl with the ricotta and creme fraiche until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan and saute the mushrooms for 10 to 15 minutes until they are tender and any liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.

To assemble, spread the ricotta and garlic mixture alon the base of the cooled tart shell. Layer half of the mushroom mixture, then half of the gruyere. Repeat the mushroom and gruyere layers and sprinkle the pine nuts over the cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until the filling is hot and the pine nuts are golden brown. Refridgerate any remaining pie for up to 3 days.

i was a pescetarian for a few months and 2 weeks ago i decided to avoid eating fish as well. so far i'm really happy with my decision to cut out meat and don't really miss it at all :smile: i'm going to university and live on my own, so it's not really difficult to stick to it, BUT when i'm going home and eat with my family... in my family we've always eaten meat almost every day and also fish once or twice a week. during the semester i don't go home that often and the last times i tried to eat less meat or fish, but i don't want to do that anymore! i really want to put my foot down and do not eat meat at all and not just less meat! how did that go in your families? do your parents accept that or do you simply cook your own food and not eat with them anymore? please share your experiences, i would appreciate it :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->