The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread #2

^ No, it's still made from fish. Here is the wikipedia definition:

Crab sticks (also called imitation crab meat, seafood sticks (UK), or labeled as krab) are a type of processed seafood made of surimi, or finely pulverized white fish flesh, that has been shaped and cured to resemble snow crab legs.

OMG! I'm so hungry now. I'm totally making that pumpkin bread. It sounds so good! :D

^ It is :smile: But I have to warn you..you might not be able to stop eating it. I know I have to hold myself back.

^ No, it's still made from fish. Here is the wikipedia definition:

Crab sticks (also called imitation crab meat, seafood sticks (UK), or labeled as krab) are a type of processed seafood made of surimi, or finely pulverized white fish flesh, that has been shaped and cured to resemble snow crab legs.

Damn, and here I though I was being good. :ermm: ^_^

Did you find Alicia's recipes online or did you buy the book? Would you say it's a decent buy? I want to eat healthier and it seems like that's leading me down a vegetarian path.

Damn, and here I though I was being good. :ermm: ^_^

Did you find Alicia's recipes online or did you buy the book? Would you say it's a decent buy? I want to eat healthier and it seems like that's leading me down a vegetarian path.

Oh yes! I love Alicia's book, the recipes are great and the information is spectacular. She isn't in your face about veganism, like some other books can be. She just gives you the facts and lets you make your own decisions.

I bought it on Barnes and Nobel.com, they have used ones as well as new one's that are way cheaper then in the store.

You should just try one of her recipes and see if you like them, if not, then hey at least you tried it, right?

You can get a recipe off of here or buy the book and return it if you don't like it. They might even have it at your local library if you don't want to spend the money to buy it. I hope it works for you, remember, baby steps!:flower:

Does anyone know anything about Truvia? Is it refined with bone char?

Also, I just picked up "How To Cook Everything Vegetarian." Very useful cookbook!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I am starting to make up my own vegan recipes and I just concocted a cupcake recipe! We'll see if it comes out ok.....

I'm am dying to make vegan PAVLOVAS, does anyone have a good recipe???

^ given the fact that a pavlova consists nearly only of eggwhite and cream this might be difficult. I have no idea how to reproduce meringue in a vegan way that would come anything close to the original, sorry. I just think some things cannot be copied into vegan, I also think that soy cream cheese doesn't deserve the name, it is nice and you can do nice things with it, so why try to compare it with cream cheese.

^What's also amazing about Chipotle is that they are totally okay with prices being a bit higher than you'd find at some cheapy place like Taco Bueno :sick:, and so are their customers. They aren't preachy, they just take a good approach and people have responded to it. :smile:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but a couple of months ago the president/founder was on Oprah and I was really blown away to learn of how they get their ingredients. And now I can understand their higher prices - and not be afraid to shell out a bit more than I would at, say, Taco Bell (and there's of course no contest on taste).

Also, I am not vegan but I'm trying to understand the lifestyle. I'm currently reading The Kind Diet, and so far Alicia has been very successful at grossing me out about what's in the meat I eat.. :sick:

^ See! :smile: I'm glad you like the book though, I think it's great at describing veganism.

I just made this last night for dinner and everyone loved it. I admit I snuck a piece of the tofu "meat" when no one was looking :shifty: and it was delicious. I served it with a side of Summer Corn Succotash from Whole Living.

Tofu Veggie Meatloaf - 130 Cals Per Serving! Recipe

Makes 6 servings
Light, delicious, and filling meal. Under 300 calories.

Ingredients
For meatloaf: 14 oz extra firm tofu 1/2 chopped onion 1/4 cup cooked brown rice 1/2 cup bran cereal 1 chopped celery stalk 1/2 diced green pepper 1/4 cup chopped mushroom 1 chopped medium carrot 1/16 tsp sage, cumin, nutmeg, garlic powder, black pepper, basil 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/8 cup ketchup 1 tbsp dijon mustard
For topping sauce: 1 tbsp mustard 1 tbsp ketchup 3 tbsp Apple Cidar Vinegar 2 tsp Splenda Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and PAM a bread pan or small lasagne pan.
  2. In a sauce pan, cook the tofu (pre-drained and squeezed). I added browning sauce, soy sauce, and spices, but it's optional. It ends up looking (and smelling!) like ground beef.
  3. Mix the cooked tofu all of the goodies together and press into prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown on the top.
  5. Heat the sauce ingredients on the stove, pour on top of loaf, and let it cook another couple minutes.
  6. Slice and serve warm!
Corn, Fava Bean, and tomato Summer Succotash

Ingredients

Serves 4
  • 1 cup fresh fava beans (from about 20 pods)
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced white onion
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
Directions

1. Blanch the fava beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well. When the beans are cool enough to handle, remove their skins. Set the beans aside.
  2. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent but not brown, about 5 minutes.
  3. Raise the heat to medium and add the cucumber. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until the cucumber is tender, about 6 minutes. If the onion begins to brown, add a tablespoon or two of water and continue cooking.
  4. Add the corn and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the fava beans and bell pepper. Season and cook 2 minutes more, until tender. Stir in the tarragon and serve.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Corn, Fava Bean, and Cucumber Succotash

I am very jealous of how many recipes you've got, Ashcottmanor! :judge: :P

Does anyone know of a soy-free, wheat-free faux meat alternative? Tofurky is made with wheat and soy, and tofu is soy. :flower: Thank you in advance.

Why thank you Papa! I try....:wink: I love to cook and am trying to come up with my own vegan, gluten-free desserts. I'm thinking of opening a bakery. We'll see...If my taste testers like anything!

Does anyone know of a soy-free, wheat-free faux meat alternative? Tofurky is made with wheat and soy, and tofu is soy. :flower: Thank you in advance.

Sorry no :( Also I know of is Tofu, Tempeh, and Seitan.

But have you tried Quinoa products? I believe that is soy and wheat/gluten free!!:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you Papa....I try:wink: I like cooking and testing out new recipes. I'm actually trying to come up with my own vegan/gluten free desserts right now. I came up with a chocolate cupcake that my taste testers love so I think I'll keep it! I'm toying with the idea of opening my own bakery at some point too. Who knows! My great grandfather had his own bakery back in the early 1900's so it might just be in my blood.:D

But have you tried Quinoa products? I believe that is soy and wheat/gluten free!!

Great idea. Will do! Thanky. I have only seen it in seed form, so I don't know if I can get it in a paste or powder, etc.

^ given the fact that a pavlova consists nearly only of eggwhite and cream this might be difficult. I have no idea how to reproduce meringue in a vegan way that would come anything close to the original, sorry. I just think some things cannot be copied into vegan, I also think that soy cream cheese doesn't deserve the name, it is nice and you can do nice things with it, so why try to compare it with cream cheese.

Well I don't know how this tastes..but I just saw a lady on Marthastewart.com making a vegan crumb cake and for the sour cream she used coconut milk or rice milk yogurt with vinegar.

I've never tried this but it might be better than a regular sour cream substitute.

I was surprised to stumble upon this: http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2009/08/menu-for-meatfree-glutenfree-soyfree-sugarfree-diet.html

I was looking for a gluten-free, soy-free meat alternative, and instead found this. I don't know if I would cut out sugar, but I would limit it extensively.

I read on a LJ community that there are mushroom-based fake meats. YUMMY. Or Bahama Rice Burgers. Anyone heard of those? I may have to search more into communities online/forums for vegans.

Just tried this recipe last night and I love it!

red-cabbage-peas.jpg

Red Cabbage and Peas with Cumin and Mustard Seeds
(printer-friendly version)
1/2 large head red cabbage (about 6 cups shredded)
canola oil spray
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional–or use 1 tsp. minced garlic)
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
1/8 teaspoon red pepper (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon water
quick squeeze of lemon juice
Core the cabbage and slice it very thin. Heat a deep skillet or wok. Once it’s hot, spray it lightly with canola oil and sprinkle the cumin and mustard seeds across its surface. Toast them for about 1 minute and add the asafetida. Add the peas and stir well, scraping the spices up from the bottom. Add the cabbage and sprinkle it with the red pepper and salt and stir well. Add 1 tablespoon of water and quickly cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. It’s done when the cabbage is to the tenderness you like. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top, stir, and serve.
Makes 3-4 servings. Per serving: 50 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium; 3g Fiber. Weight Watchers 1 Point.

FatFreeVegan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->