The world of fashion Illustration

ChagueCouture

Reaction score
I've often wondered what happened to the idea of fashion illustration as it's own artform.
In the days of erte and even before during the victorian era, fashion plates were printed published and sometimes even sold as art by themselves.
With the beautiful collections that come from designers like Alexander McQueen and YSL i often wonder what happens to the concept art?
In the 80's fashion illustration made a comeback as pop art.... but these days it's what star is wearing the finished product that gets the attention.
I've always tried to put more into my illustrations than the finished product
http://www.geocities.com/foreverboi82/DivineAyu.html
this leads to technical problems however, when it comes down to breaking the design down for pattern making.
(draping is much easier anyways in my opinion...)

I had a book on Vogue covers from the early 1900's to the late 1930's and it was beautiful. No stars or models on the covers, just kick *** illustrations and paintings. A lot had vintage race cars on them too. Of course I was into those. Nice site.

chague, your drawings are awesome. kind of like victorian girl meets japanese punk
or i'm totally wrong.
haha whatever. you've got talent.

we have a section about fashion illustration...:flower:

thanks for the compliments!
:heart:
I would love to be an artist, but my peices will always be illustrations, i'm no da vinci. lol
and in fashion, they are too busy to be utilized for their technical advantages.
I find it hard to accept movie stars today as fashionable because i am so in love with the hollywood of the 1930's and 1940's.
there will never be another greta garbo or marlene dietrich.
Never another katherine hepburn, vivien leigh or norma shearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i moved this into the section where it belongs:flower:
if you have a look at this forum, chague, you will see that fashion illustration is very much alive at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->