Theyskens' Theory S/S 2012 New York

hautechild

Reaction score
Click through for a ~slightly bigger version~ (wwd have changed their default image size for some reason)

wwd.com

The metallic pants, the jackets, the blouses, the gowns, the short dresses (particularly Anabela's).....it's all divine. :heart:
Everything is so effortless and youthful. I seriously just wanna put one of these looks on and hit the streets.

That collection save the day, really gorgeous, i loved!Theyskensjunkie i'm now!

high waist low belt, I kind dig it on some of the looks, and on some others, it's just too far out there.

Theyskens' Theory | Spring Summer 2012 | Full Show (Exclusive on You Tube)

I love WWD's description of Olivier's aesthetic as "Gothic whimsy" :lol:

I really like this. Olivier has done such a good job of treading the line between Theory's commerciality and his own creativity. It's not perfect, there are a couple of looks that I think could have been nixed, but overall it's a good collection. The iridescent pants I love, as well as the knits and the second and third to last dresses in particular.

It's so....cool. If I saw a girl wearing these clothes in public I'd instantly want to know who she is. The collection is casual but still really carefully put together.

I guess I'll be the first, but I'm not feeling this - like really not feeling it. I've really liked what Theyskens has been doing for Theory so far, but this is lacking something. Maybe it's cohesion, like there isn't a look that's as defined as the first two collections. Maybe it's that there really isn't one standout piece. Maybe it's that there isn't something that elevates this from being more than just basic clothes that girls everywhere already have and throw together in much the same way. I get why that might have appeal but I feel like a fashion presentation should be more than a mirror of how people already dress.

And I have to say that the trompe l'oeil sagging waist is odd looking even on 6 foot tall beanpoles. I pray they don't catch on with the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photos do not do the collection justice. It's brilliant in motion. You get the full experience of the flow of each piece along with the texture of the fabrics. Olivier achieved what he had set out to accomplish, not designing total looks, but focus on each individual garment and put them together like the modern woman of today. The finale is spectacular. Understated and restraint, with Classic Olivier silhouette and drama, but refined for Theory.

If i was a girl, my entire daywear wardrobe would like that. Amazing collection, wearable and cool.

i wish he'd take over the menswear collection as well. this is a perfect wardrobe in one collection. beautiful!

The quality may be out of this world and some pieces are definitely hard to overlook, but as a whole, it seems like something Emmanuelle Alt could've touched and I can't digest that well. :lol:

whoa. i want them all and im a boy
ec20fb7f.gif

it just looks very...cool. like crazy creepy cool. i dont know how to say it. i love the shorts, the belts, all the tops, it meshes well. the only exception is that shiny pant. whats up with that?

I guess I'll be the first, but I'm not feeling this - like really not feeling it. I've really liked what Theyskens has been doing for Theory so far, but this is lacking something. Maybe it's cohesion, like there isn't a look that's as defined as the first two collections. Maybe it's that there really isn't one standout piece. Maybe it's that there isn't something that elevates this from being more than just basic clothes that girls everywhere already have and throw together in much the same way. I get why that might have appeal but I feel like a fashion presentation should be more than a mirror of how people already dress.

And I have to say that the trompe l'oeil sagging waist is odd looking even on 6 foot tall beanpoles. I pray they don't catch on with the masses.

I second that !!! This is just awful.:sick: Theory is the working women's brand, his collections for the brand in the past were beautiful, easy flattering trousers, great blazers , all great work pieces. This just goes against the house aesthetic and honestly , as a theory customer for years, I am bit disgusted. If you want to produce redundant street clothes , we have Alexander Wang for that lol. Its easy to see why Theysen's almost sank Rochas to the ground, with this collection.

I love the dresses! There are so many here that I want. The short looks are lovely too. All the jackets, etc. The pants are hit and miss in my view, but it is largely due to the high/low belt thing; it could be very unflattering on a lot of people. Maybe it will be modified for retail. Overall a hip, forward, coherent collection. Hurrah!

But that's the thing, Theory views Theyskens Theory and Theory as two completely different entities. And I speak from experience, as I go to the Theory show room frequently to buy for the store I work at (I work very,very close with Theory), I know that there are even separate sales teams (obviously) for both lines. Last time I was there (July) the collections were separated by FLOORS and while Theyskens may now be "Creative Director" of the Theory, all the basics are most certainly still there, untouched. And he has certainly had his way with menswear. As far as I know, and I've asked, there won't be a Theyskens men's line. But men's this fall, fashion-piece wise (non-staple, non yearly stocked) is much more forward thinking than it ever has before. All the pieces you know and love are still there, just as prominent as this. This collection is def. in my top ten for NYFW...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->