Thom Browne S/S 10 New York

ilaughead

Reaction score
These aren't runway photos, and I'm not sure they can be called back stage pictures either. But it looks like an interesting way to show the clothes if they were shown on the sidewalk like it looks. I won't comment too much on the clothes yet though. But while last season Browne seemed to go a little bit better edited, simpler, and, in my opinion, more attractive, this looks the opposite so far.

Gettyimages.com

^^so this is what Anna Wintour recommended David Letterman to look at, right? :lol:
i'd love to see him on that third look!

Some more... And if the last picture in this post is a jumpsuit, the collection automatically gets at least one thumb up from me. And that's a lot considering I usually hate all of Thom's gimmicks.

Yahoo! News

Pretty all over the place, but a lot of the individual pieces look okay so far.

Yahoo! News

Those hats are so Dumb Donald from Fat Albert :lol:

dumb_donald.jpg

technabob

Looks like it was quite heavily themed, as usual... from NYMag.com
Thom Browne has given us three-legged pants, a wedding-dress tuxedo, and all manner of man skirts. This afternoon at his store on Hudson Street, in Tribeca, he presented once again a completely unexpected new collection: "mermaids in war paint." It may have been Browne's most provocative show to date. "It was an evolution. It was showing a lot of different shapes for me," Browne said after the show. "It's good to make people think." Suits and sweaters came emblazoned with swordfish. Models with streaks of blue on their lips marched down the runway, at one point to "Yellow Submarine." Flaps of fabric billowed out from underneath jackets as though the models had wide, flat tails. Some merely wore manties, while others were fortunate enough to have on miniskirts, though of Miley Cyrus–like proportions. The final look was a spectacular skirt-suit made entirely out of disc-size black sequins that rustled loudly as the model walked. The ominous shift in music made him seem like a Darth Vader made of fish scales.
This was Browne's first show in his store. Since it wasn't big enough for a backstage area, the models readied for the runway in a space two blocks away and then entered from the sidewalk outside, accruing a gaggle of passersby and tourists whose expressions ranged from amused to horrified. In fact, they had the best seat in the house: The models lined up for the finale outside, on the sidewalk, which was cordoned off from civilians by black velvet rope. "The main motivation wasn't to show it on the street, though," Browne explained. "It was more to be able to use the space, and we just had no other way of doing it." After the show, editors stormed Browne's publicist, asking her to set aside certain pieces for them. Mermaid warriors are officially in for spring 2010.

Ugh, now I know why I don't read WSJ's fashion coverage...
Thom Browne Laughs Last

By Ray Smith

In the worst days of the current recession’s grip, many openly wondered how Thom Browne, the provocative designer known for his shrunken suits with ankle-baring pants and expensive runway theatrics (think circus tents and tennis court settings) could survive.
His extreme look, not easy for most guys to pull off, and his extreme prices, including made-by-hand flannel suits costing more than $4,000, were bold even in giddier times when people spent freely and often foolishly on designer fashion. Amid a global economic downturn, those strokes seemed downright self-destructive.
Earlier this spring, the New York Post reported his company was on financial life support. Around that time, the company’s chief executive and chief financial officer left abruptly. Rival designers were spreading rumors that Browne was delinquent on payments to manufacturing factories. An article about smart shopping in GQ, one of Browne’s earliest champions since his line launched at Bergdorf Goodman in 2004, made a thinly veiled swipe questioning the wisdowm of paying top dollar for extremely tight suits with flood pants during the worst downturn in decades.
So there was more than the usual anticipation for Browne’s runway show Sunday afternoon. Had the recession chastened him? Judging by the presentation, held in his store in Tribeca, the answer is a defiant no.
The designer’s demented wit was on full display as he riffed on aquatic themes specifically and American menswear more broadly. (At one point, the Beatles’s “Yellow Submarine” blared from the speakers.) From fishnets used as face masks to what looked like painted sea shells embroidered on briefcases, Mr. Browne was swimming in surrealism. Rain slickers came in yellow patent leather, or abbreviated, or sleeveless; nautical jackets sometimes came with half shoulders; one model walked out in a suit embellished with what look like round fish scales. Another wore a glittery top with scales.
Mr. Browne seemed to unleash his imagination almost like a middle finger to the recession. He’s done dropped-crotch trousers before, but never dropped this low — almost to the floor so that pants look like dresses. He’s done polka dots before, but never this big — one ensemble even had the polka-dot holes hollowed out. He’s done trains before on men’s jackets and dresses (yes, dresses) but never this transparent. Where in the past he has made outfits with skirts at the front and long pants at the back, this time he showed half skirt, half swimming trunk. Motif prints were tropical, but made even stranger because they were in black and white rather than playful color. His short pants were wider than ever.
Lenses of visor sunglasses decorated bucket hats — in some cases the hats were pulled over the model’s head with the lenses being implanted where holes were cut out so they could see. It was very disturbing deep-sea diver look. An editor from a fashion magazine laughed out loud at one point during the proceedings, and who could blame him. Heard on the Runway doesn’t think the designer would have minded, actually. After all, it’s he who seems to be getting the last laugh.
After all the news reports of drama at the label, Brown has since hired a new CEO, embarked on a business strategy to expand his collection to include more gentler-priced sportswear, announced plans to open more stores for the Black Fleece line he designs for Brooks Brothers and continues an acclaimed line with Moncler. What’s more, his influence is undeniable in menswear. While the shrunken look was derided at first, today it’s hard to find a menswear brand that doesn’t have a slightly shorter jacket with higher armholes or a more-fitted silhouette, even if it’s not as extreme as Browne’s. What at first seemed strange now has become commonplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->