Tights Under Shorts

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by lmelanie, May 18, 2010.

1. lmelanie

lmelanie Active Member

I was surprised that there wasn't a thread on this already but I happen to love this trend...

Here is Lily Donaldson rocking this look at the Glastonbury Festival last year.

[​IMG]

credit: catwalkqueen.tv

2. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

I've been doing the tights with shorts thing since I was in middle school, which is back in 1998 in 6th grade.

3. ad041715

ad041715 New Member

I'm so tired of this 'trend'. :rolleyes:

4. fashismypash

fashismypash New Member

I think it can either look really great or really bad. Depends on the person's style.

I think the key thing here is, wearing dark shorts and dark tights of the SAME color, no patterns.

5. LagerfeldBoy

LagerfeldBoy Active Member

I actually love this trend, when executed perfectly. Loved it especially at Proenza Schouler Fall/Winter 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    credit: style.com

6. tullepen

tullepen New Member

UGH,not flattering on every other person except models,and not even flattering on them..

7. Heroin_Chic

Heroin_Chic New Member

8. ScarlettLover

ScarlettLover New Member

I like it too. I would wear it not for the trend though, but because my legs are so white. ha ha

9. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I guess it's very 'trendy' if you're only looking at bloggers or models who over do this with too tight too short blogs and too much emphasis on their (often trashy) tights esp. when they're ripped or printed or lace-y.. and then some see-through top, an 80s groupie-inspired combination that's yet to look good on someone.

This is an autumn/cozy look in my book, something that I associate more with that Margaret Howell/English Countryside type of inspiration, you just put on some boots, tights, thick wool shorts, chunky knit sweater and you're good to go, it's all about proportions and textures.

I loved this look photographed by Garance Doré.
    [​IMG]

some longer versions..
    3.1 Philip Lim - Marc Jacobs
    [​IMG]

I also loved the way Chloé showed them in 2006.. the first look is more of a jumper I guess and the second one has pants instead of tights but you get the idea of a nicely-cut short combined with covered legs and generally a more relaxed styled.. the third look is by blogger, which used a similar palette to the Chloé look.

[​IMG]
    [firstview.com/style.com/garance doré/mode-damour.blogspot]

It is a combination that's very now, but hardly trendy.. I think it depends on why and how you're wearing it, someone that doesn't care much about materials or comfort and just wants to look trendy will always manage to make jeans and a tshirt look like a summer H&M ad.. take Erin Wasson for example. It really depends..

10. fritze

fritze New Member

I dont... there is just something WRONG about it! Maybe it's because I don't ever see girls in real life doing the cute, autumn-y version of it, but the ripped tights and jeans shorts version...

11. lottie342

lottie342 New Member

I like this trend, personally I wear it like the garance dore photo in #9, but most girls my age wear it with ripped tights and it looks ridiculous.

12. LolaSvelt

LolaSvelt New Member

I like it. What's the problem? It's perfect for every season that is not summer (or autumn sometimes)!

13. Ennaira

Ennaira New Member

Nah I don't really like it. Can't even say why. :P

14. ad041715

ad041715 New Member

Exact same thing with me.

15. aletheis

aletheis New Member

This trend was everywhere in Bristol, UK in Fall 2008. Mostly just black tights with jean shorts - the look seemed rather boring to me & not terribly flattering.

16. Tinetush

Tinetush What fresh hell is this.?

I visited this thread a few days ago, and felt like doing it myself today after seeing mullet's pics in post #9 :wub:

I'm just thankful that most people have moved away from the leggings + shorts combo. Tights just looks so much better and so much more polished. (well mostly).

Also I think it really do look good when it's paired with a louse blouse or shirt.

17. RandiNichole

RandiNichole New Member

I think these are absolutely cute. If i wasn't so short, i'd go for it.

But with the shorts and tights, i think ti depends on the person and the style. The ripped tights thing and the polkadot tights are started to be overdone to me, and the floral tights are getting close to that.

I prefer it paired with some fabric shorts, baggy like in the pictures above.
    BUT sometimes it can work well with jeans.

#17 RandiNichole, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by moderator Aviar: May 22, 2010
  18. peachyfashion

peachyfashion New Member

I like thick wollen tights with tailored shorts in the autumn/winter, but I don't think it's a summer look at all - I mean, you must get really really hot right? You'd think that that would be obvious, but people are still wearing tights with shorts where I live and it's May already - that's just wrong in my opinion.

The trend also does definetely depend on the type of person. Some people can carry it off while others should steer clear of it by about 50 miles.

19. ScarlettLover

ScarlettLover New Member

I think it only works if you're thin. And tights in the summer if it is real hot is silly. I wear sheerer navy tights under trouser shorts. But it isn't too hot where I live, it's still quite breezy.

20. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

I think it's a good look, especially when the shorts are high-waisted and worn with a tucked-in blouse. Not very practical for summer temperature, but would look great during the beginning of spring or fall.