Tim Biskup

two months off

Eat me, drink me
Reaction score
Biography

Tim Biskup's dense, character driven style is inspired by mid-century modern design infused with a healthy dose of punk rock energy. Since the mid-eighties, he has produced a constant stream of limited edition prints, clothing, toys, books and other publications. He's collaborated with artists Mark Ryden and Gary Baseman and organized art auctions and exhibitions. His highly sought after original paintings and sculptures have been shown worldwide, including galleries in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, Kyoto and Melbourne.

Launched in 2000, Gama-Go is a line of clothing and gift items featuring designs by Tim and other designers. In September of 2004, Biskup opened his own store/gallery in the center of Old Town Pasadena, Bispop Gallery exhibits and sells original paintings, hand painted objects, clothing, toys, books, cards and store exclusive items.

I like how he has such a defined style, and how it transfers from his 2D artwork, to his toy designs.

pics + info - timbiskup.com

Attachments

• beatband.jpg
    beatband.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • channeler.jpg
    channeler.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Flaming-Ghost-Blossom.jpg
    Flaming-Ghost-Blossom.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2
  • stackpack.jpg
    stackpack.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
timbiskup.com

Attachments

• Stack-Pack-Sticky.jpg
    Stack-Pack-Sticky.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • hiddenpartridgesacrifice.jpg
    hiddenpartridgesacrifice.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 1
  • BlackHelium.jpg
    BlackHelium.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
The Jackson 500
Volume One Book

In this new collection of paintings, Tim Biskup continues where he left off with his 100 Paintings book. Birds, beasts, shriners, and showgirls are among the frolicking inhabitants of Biskup's bizarre, colorful world.

Acting as a kind of workshop for new ideas, the tiny paintings in The Jackson 500 Volume One, are spontaneous compositions that contain the buds of many of Biskup's recurring characters, themes, and color theories. This volume contains the first one hundred in the series of five hundred business card-sized paintings, reproduced at actual size.

kidrobot.com

Attachments

• s-8751-1.jpg
    s-8751-1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 43
I agree... his backgrounds especially in the first post look like Mirò.
His style is what you see in a lot of the cartoons at Cartoon Network--a lot of the directors behind this channel is also influenced by that same mid-century time period... 1950's, 60's animation design. Cartoons include Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack (one of the best ones) and there are several new ones, like My Life as a Teenage Robot, Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, and The X's.

It's been a long time since I've watched a good cartoon. They took off my favourite ones...:neutral:

^ aw, same here. I did love early Dexter's Lab, tho. I found it hilarious!

Yeah, most of this things look like a sort of modern retro. But if it stays too retro it can look dated, I think. Like what most illustrators where doing in the late 90s/early 2000 - they style got quite popular so I can't help but place it in that 'time slot', so to speak.

But I find Biskup's aren't dated at all, they still look very 'now'. Arg, there is no non-cheesy way to word this, is there? ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AprilL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->