Time International Edition September 21, 2020 : Edward Enninful by Campbell Addy

Benn98

Reaction score
Time International Edition - 21 September 2020

Fashioning Change

Photographer: Campbell Addy
Cast: Edward Enninful

Time International Edition Digital Edition

^ At least Mr Enninful got us excited in the past. I haven't had any good impression on Olivier Rousteing, at all.

The cover does look very iconic, which makes sense because it's Time magazine. I'm certainly not his biggest fan but this is a coup for big him. Just like that iconic WSJ cover of Anna years ago (which is now tainted by Testino).
Fashion, not even Hollywood, is probably the industry that came under the most public scrutiny when the protests started, and as a result, had to act the fastest to effect change. Across the board, both big and small magazines/brands etc. This cover is basically an acknowledgement of that because Time doesn't generally cover fashion in the magazine (like they used to).

He is now officially enough of a star editor to take over American Vogue because his style of editing is suited to that edition anyway.

Good for Edward! One step further to American Vogue (where he truly belongs because his Vogue is like Anna-lite)!

But maybe it’s time to consider Ralph Lauren, Tom Ford or even Saville Row for his suits! This cut of jackets is not very flattering for him!

Heated debate starting in 3... 2... 1....

Lol the hate for Edward is strong on this forum. It's a great cover and he deserves it, UK Vogue is the best out there right now together with Vogue Paris.

When it comes to Edward, the content is very average on the page, but he's great at getting global attention for the magazine. Even if we claim it's all self-promotion, at the moment, he's probably the strongest voice in the media making print magazines seem alive and vital, even if the product itself is lacking.

And in terms of diversity, he's done what he said he would do. I wouldn't say his Vogue accurately reflects the racial demographics of the UK, but he's done a lot for black people.

Edward is a stylist, and not an editor. It's as simple as that. His editorship is non-existent.
Being lucky enough, he had his chances with i-D, Franca Sozzani, Prada, Meisel, W... But let's face the truth, his styling image is not that easily recognizable comparing to Carine Roitfeld, Marie Chaix, Ibrahim Kamara, Anna Trevelyan, Panos Yapanis, Carlyne, Lotta... So without those big budgets, brands, and iconic photographers is he really that strong image-wise? Sure, he does his job quite well but only within certain framework. Putting him as the EIC of American Vogue would be another downfall. Instead of raising new editors Condé Nast slowly lost all of them.
I would really like to see Eva Chen back to publishing business, and she could really bring a new perspective. Other names, not for American Vogue but in general, that CN should take into consideration are Melania Pan and Caroline Issa but that's very unlikely. More probable candidate would be someone like Derek Blasberg. And so we'll have not only Edward, Emanuele and Manuel, who kind of destroyed their magazines with superficiality and boredom.

Lol the hate for Edward is strong on this forum. It's a great cover and he deserves it, UK Vogue is the best out there right now together with Vogue Paris.
The hate is strong because the promise was even stronger!
Edward’s work for US Vogue, Vogue Italia And W (and I’m not even mentioning what he did before) made us all believe that HIS Vogue would be THE Vogue. Everybody wanted Schulman out and wanted the so-called energy and creativity of the London Fashion Scene represented.

What we got instead...A redux US Vogue with Meisel portraits. I totally understand that the UK aren’t like Italy and France but I also think that the society (at least the audience) is less conservative than in the US.
There’s a real lack of identity in his Vogue. It’s just the UK Version of US Vogue.

Yes, there’s more diversity but tbh, as a black woman, I’m unimpressed by that factor. It’s mandatory!

There’s less hate for Edward than there was for Glenda, Alexandra or even for Anna.

The cover does look very iconic, which makes sense because it's Time magazine. I'm certainly not his biggest fan but this is a coup for big him. Just like that iconic WSJ cover of Anna years ago (which is now tainted by Testino).
Fashion, not even Hollywood, is probably the industry that came under the most public scrutiny when the protests started, and as a result, had to act the fastest to effect change. Across the board, both big and small magazines/brands etc. This cover is basically an acknowledgement of that because Time doesn't generally cover fashion in the magazine (like they used to).

He is now officially enough of a star editor to take over American Vogue because his style of editing is suited to that edition anyway.

Would be great for American Vogue to get an American EIC for a change......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->