Tom Binns - Jewelry Designer

wheneveriwakeup

a hymn to darkness
Reaction score
Born in Belfast, Ireland, Tom Binns graduated from Middlesex Polytechnic in 1981 with a BA in jewellery design, obtaining all the necessary skills to make real pieces. With the influence of the Dada movement, Tom went on his own revolutionary way creating his collection of ‘object trouves.’ Tom is the pioneer of design alchemy where anything becomes possible. He can find something and making it an icon. He may treat diamonds with remarkable negligence and then hold a piece of beach glass with great nobility. His poetic sense, combined with his anarchic wit and caustic humor has been the essence of his spirit. ‘You are not dealing with reason, you are dealing with attitude.’ His art is feminine, anti-conformist and elegant. It was his collaboration with Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McClaren, starting with The Punk Couture that created the perfect marriage for Tom’s Dada embrace. Tom Binns is in his element as adornment has become the focus of fashion. ‘Jewelry is always a treasure, and though it may not be made of gold and diamonds, it should still have that sentiment.

tom.jpg

Tom Binns
(sorry for the small image, btw :doh:)

From kabiri.co.uk

chunkytbinns1pc3.jpg

picture70xy7.png

source: tombinnsdesign

thanks for the thread wiw...
cannot believe we didn't already have one...

i LOVE tom binns...

but i also love that not everyone knows him and that not everyone 'gets' him...
keeps it special and exclusive imo....

*ok- maybe that makes me a snob...
i yam what i yam...

:P

:lol:

You're quite welcome, soft..
I love Tom Binns, too... :heart:
He is such a pioneer...

Will be back to post more later..
I am having technical difficulties @ the moment... :doh:

242538938754bb617825aw8.jpg

source: trustyourstyle

I am glad he has a thread, he is so very talented and cool, i love his designs,

and Softgrey i know what you mean :lol: the fact that he is so exclusive is awsome, i heard so many stories about New York Socialites trying to desperately get their hands on his jewelry,haha.

tombinnsswarovskicrystaze9.jpg

Crystal & Rhodium Massai Necklace :heart::heart::heart:

Sorry for the thumbnails, but I am unable to attach @ the moment
& these images are huge...

source: kabiri.co.uk

He is such a great secret, I agree... :heart:
Though it is incredibly hard to find info on him, sadly..
His website is pretty fantastic, too..
I wish I could post some of the images, but it's all in flash
Still, it is a great retrospective of his work if anyone is interested.. :flower:

cessswank03hsg4.jpg

* From W Mag; the necklace... :heart:

sources: kabiri.co.uk & wmag

April 2008 UK Vogue Cover
Swarovski-crystal bracelet, top, £450. Swarovski-crystal bracelet, bottom, £320. Both Tom Binns at Kabiri.

VoguecoverApr08_xl-2.jpg

Source : Vogue.com

vbvogue4pl9.jpg

source : victoriabeckhamblog

I love Tom Binns. I cant believe he didn't have a thread either...

That safety pin cuff is great.

soft - you are right though, I don't know many people besides some of the girls I work with that know about him. I had a customer bring in a jeweled cuff and some of the stones had fallen out :( It did look like she was pretty rough on it though. Regardless it was gorgeous!

Here's a crystal choker from intermixonline
binss.jpg

tbcl392tgg6.jpg

*Rose Gold

tbcl39s1lq8.jpg

* Silver

tbcl39g1ad5.jpg

* Gold

page05rokococufftombinnex1.png

Rokoco Cuff

911471tv8.jpg

source: eletricladyland, henribendel, brown's

Vogue Italia January 2001
Model: Kim Peers
Photographer: Steven Meisel

2535035037_290faed9b3_o.jpg

2535850854_2f8cfb5007_o.jpg

2535851018_c072a9b5f3_o.jpg

image source | yangabin.club.fr via SnejanaIsMyMuse

Thank You for the Thread wiwu:heart::wub:

I cannot believe this forum was just started. Tom has been the inspiration for so many jewelry designers (myself included.... somewhat =) But he really did start the sunken treasure look (aka broken tangled chains).

I love since his start - he's tried something different - he's brilliant

^yeah,justin guinta reminds me an awful lot of tom....that drama and that mish-mash of antique textures.

love tom binns.....so surprised there wasn't a thread already either.

it's funny,what you say,softie as his work is often featured in mainstream pubs. like am. vogue and W and it's so true what you say.....even still no one hasn't a clue about him nor do i feel many understand the esoteric nature of his aesthetics. i still have these beautiful story images from V and Paper from a couple years ago when was still so immersed with goth. round that time when rei was in that kind of mood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Source | Chicago Tribune: Style & Trends | May 22, 2008

Less is more? Forget it.

When it comes to designer Tom Binns' jewelry, it's more and more and -- oh yeah, more.

One encrusted beauty, a "crystal garden cuff bracelet," is low-key compared with many of the designs that have made Binns the beloved naughty boy of high-fashion accessories.

His work mixes dripping skulls, rusty keys and broken "bits and baubles" of old costume jewelry with more precious items. It adorns the slim bodies in the chicest of glossy high-end fashion spreads.

"I'm sort of undermining the previous notion of what's fashion and what's jewelry," he says. " 'A few old pieces of discarded junk and tie it around your neck.' It's a very simple equation."

Binns describes his oeuvre as "alchemy." "Turning junk into gold," he calls it. You can almost imagine him, Rumpelstiltskin-like, jumping up and down with glee in his Venice, Calif., studio (tombinnsde sign.com).

"I use a lot of old stuff and just rubbish and other people's jewelry. Whatever comes to hand, really. I just go to flea markets, pick it off the street and just sort of reinvent it."

Clothes on the runway today are "stupid" and "dull," says Binns, but sling on "a fab piece of jewelry and you're up and running. That's what I'm trying to do."

One bracelet, reproduced in a New York factory from an original Binns created out of old junk jewelry, goes for nearly $1,000 at Neiman Marcus. Other originals (Chicago's Ikram boutique carries his line) can cost even more. Boasts Binns, who came to the United States from Northern Ireland some 20 years ago, "It's going to get more expensive soon."

Despite this cheek, Binns last year received the highest of accolades from the American fashion establishment. Yes, establishment. The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) awarded him the prestigious Accessory Designer prize. He summarizes: "I recently have become part of the establishment, but I'm the loose brick in the wall."

Oxidized antique sterling silver, Swarovski crystal,
and Rhodium plated necklace
2536158636_70f0f91dfb_o.jpg

source | style

Hoop Earrings $880.00
2536171498_414286951d.jpg

Black Crystals w/Skulls Earrings $770.00
2535356187_ff84972927.jpg

Black Crystals w/Skull Necklace $880.00
2535356243_4ce8748dfb.jpg

source | evanewyork

Numéro 92 April 2008
FORK EARRINGS
Photographer: Horst Diekgerdes
Stylist: Charles Varennes
Model: Karlie Kloss

source | scanned by taben

You all are welcome... :heart:
TY, MMA, for reminding me of Tom in Lisa Levine's thread...
He is so under-the-radar..
that he is sadly forgotten @ times...

He rly is quite influential..
So many great, up & coming labels/designers
are inspired by his works, which span 2 decades or so... :heart:
I had also forgotten how versatile he is...

Finally was able to get some photos from his site... :buzz:

From the Real Deal collection...

tbd2pf2.png

tbd3dv7.png

tbd4cj6.png

tbd5dw5.png

tbd6sg2.png

tbdhp8.png

source: tombinnsdesign

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads