Tom Ford F/W 2018.19 New York

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by dodencebt, Feb 9, 2018.

1. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

2. dodencebt

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

3. dodencebt

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

4. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

He's just as stuck as JPG, a pity.

5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

DATED, TACKY, TRASHY, UGLY & CHEAP...

But i like it!

I think that more than the clothes, i really like the intention behind this collection. From the styling to the soundtrack, everything was obviously done with a touch of humor, a sense of "i don't give a D" and a desire to shock.

I love when someone does something to the fullest as it is. One thing is sure, it's challenging!

Back to the clothes now. As always, great tailoring. I personally like the tuxedo jumpsuit, the cape jumpsuit and the silver tuxedo jacket. A lot of great cuts and in the dresses, the dress after the one worn by Kaia is very beautiful.

I get the idea of bad taste behind the use of the leggings. It's great to shock, it add an editorial value but it's a little bit easy.
    The same for the very exhuberant use of animaliers prints and faux fur, it's too much, it's fun but hardly translatable for anyone really.

There's this weird thing about Tom Ford.
    As a man, he is the epitome of a certain idea of class: from his lifestyle to his style. His brand has a very chic, classic but exciting vision: the stores are beautiful and modern, the packaging of his products is exquisite, he is very picky about the people he dresses who are mainly big Hollywood actresses. Even in his team and around him, he is surrounded by very chic women...

But, his runway collections always have this louche and almost dirty vibe. A lot of people who wears Tom Ford and who are associated with Tom Ford wouldn't wear the majority of this collection. He is living this very sophisticated lifestyle and even if sometimes some people have a very exhuberant lifestyle, i don't see them wearing this.

To be honest, as someone who buys his clothes, i can't pictures some of those clothes in his stores. And i would never be caught dead, wearing a sequined legging...I mean, wearing a legging period (unless it's Balenciaga SS 2007).

Unless the majority of those clothes are made in black, my question is who is this for? It works for a show but as for clothes to buy and to wear for a Tom Ford woman, i'm perplexed.

Finally, even if i like this collection, i'm a bit tired of the 80's. And while James Scully is a master at castings, i find his casts to be more and more weak. You can't have Joan Smalls and Karen Elson as the face of the spring collection and then come-up with this almost junior cast.

#5 Lola701, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited by moderator salis5: Feb 9, 2018
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Remove Tom Ford's name and slap Moschino on it and we'd be none the wiser.

Karl Lagerfeld don't need to lose any sleep!

7. dodencebt

I wholeheartedly disagree. This collection might be tacky and in bad taste but it can never be mistaken for a brand such as Moschino. Every single piece here is impeccably made (except for the dress' hem in Look 34, which will never happen in production), the finishing is exquisite, the fabrics are luxurious and you can tell it is expensive. Jeremy can only dream.

8. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't like it, and I'm more than a little bias since I love TF, but I like the majority of this. Where it kinda went off the rails for me were some of the evening looks.

9. maxlinden

maxlinden Active Member

Its very boring and dated as a collection but to be honest I will probably put a few clients in these looks.
    Tom Ford always works(usually) for red carpet appearances. Cant go wrong with the suits here, they were stunning in person

Maybe "stunning" is too strong a word

#9 maxlinden, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 9, 2018
  10. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

I mean, it's not bad, or offensive... I just don't think there's any point to these clothes. I can't even pinpoint why that is, I just look at this collection and I think "why? what is the point?".

11. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

I'll repeat what I said in the menswear thread: he should stick to filmmaking, there's no place for him in fashion anymore.

12. Lola701

There's a place for him in fashion but there's no place in fashion or anywhere else for this kind of clothes.

I'm still mad over those leggings...

#12 Lola701, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited by moderator salis5: Feb 9, 2018
  13. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

Honey, as long as there are people with money to burn, and designers who'll dress 'em accordingly, Mr. Ford ain't goin' anywhere, unless he says so. His overall look may not be in sync with what's going on in the upper echelons of designer garbs (what ARE folks who buy into luxury goods wearing these days?..:unsure:), but where there's a will, there's a way.

And I'm sure those coats will definitely find their way to someone's closet. That's the only thing I have on this collection.

14. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

New Jack Swing meets Peggy Bundy. And I adore it for being so unapologetically crass and tacky as a presentation.

Once in the shops, his clientele are going to swoon over those perfectly-tailored neon beaded leopard suits, the flimsy cocktail dresses and those luscious full-length coats that scream expensive without ever having the need to embroider "expensive" on it like a Moschino one. (And a healthy dose of those impossibly weighty earnings on the side wouldn’t hurt the least bit.)

If Karl still reigns at Chanel while still doing the tweed suiting signature in the umpteenth variation for over 30 years, Tom’s already firmly secured his lofty place in the high fashion parthenon with his brand of alpha-luxurious decadence in just 7 years. There’s a whole other rarefied world of the rich rich rich that don’t give a damn about ironic hoodies and overly-conceptual, deconstructed nonsense.

Tom’s is beyond fashion at this point; his is a lifestyle.

Thanks dodencebt.

15. ThatDudeOverTher

No one understands branding better than Mr. Ford and that his business has ballooned into a near $2 billion behemoth is testament to that.

I think there is a place in fashion for a collection like this, thank whichever deity you serve that that horrid period of minimalism is over. That said, some of these looks (styling-wise) reminded me too much of last season's Versace.

Also, Tom understands that the collections he's showing on the runway and styled the way they are, appeals to the "Cookie Lyons" on the world. His super wealthy Upper East Side, Wives of, Ultra wealthy women will go to his store to buy the staples that are available year round, but secretly, they all want to be Cookie :wink"

16. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

Wow, some of the things here are beyond atrocious. Very tacky.

17. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

Who is this designer; and what did he make with Tom Ford?? Because it´s hard to realise this collection has been designed by the real TF.

Back in the 90s and early 00s he was sophisticated while being modern at the same time. This collection is dated and tacky. Tacky to a level that could make Cavalli cry.

In the past Tom managed to mix bold prints in a tasteful manner (prints clash from Gucci S/S 1996 is an example on how to play with tacky prints without getting a tacky result).
    By this doesn´t feel as studied and controlled. It feels random and trashy.

And that "Pussy Power" slogan?? Is it Tom Ford´s hardcore version of Dior´s "We should all be feminists"??

#17 jeanclaude, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited by moderator obese: Feb 9, 2018
  18. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

Ok so I loved how controversial this collection is. It's quite interesting how TF still can shook people in 2018.

Now the clothes: I f*ucking love the coats, so lusty, they are to die for. I bet the will be a lot of mens looking for these coats in the stores (I would). The rest yes, is ugly, but its so full o life so I can appreciate it.

19. Lola701

I have to admit that i'm quite surprised by the reactions to the show. A friend of mine who went to the show totally loved it and said that the audience and the clients were in heaven. They all loved how bad it was...
    And apparently, it is still the talk of NYFW thanks to the total opposite reviews of Cathy Horyn and Vanessa Friedman.

I need to see the video footage!

20. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Active Member

It's definitely not as bad as people are saying it is. But is it so bad that it's actually good? I think not.