Tom Ford : Life after Gucci #2

^I read that in fashionologie too but I don't really see why he would have a private show only to release the pictures in early October. It doesn't really make sense.

Here's what Lynn Yaeger had to say about Tom Ford in her NY Mag article:

Q. What eminent designer puts what seems like 150 looks on the runway — bottom-grabbing pencil skirts; tiny purple Floradora dresses — and forbids photography (apparently to lend an air of exclusivity, but in this case, maybe to protect his reputation) and emerges on the runway at the end of the show, then stands around with a bunny-in-the-headlights look in his eyes, waiting for a standing ovation that never comes?
A. Tom Ford.

she has some more interesting things to say here:

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/09/lynn_yaeger_everything_you_nee.html

yep...
the collection is being panned by the press...
funny- cause i don't even care---but it seems like this is the biggest news of this show season so far...

:lol:...

wierdly---hearing that no one liked it makes me want to see it now!...
whereas before i really couldn't have cared less...
funny how that works...!

what other bad reviews did the show get? im intrigued, as much as i disliked the previous two collections :|

Here's another lukewarm review:

Jess Cartner-Morley, The Guardian: I’m going to come straight out with it. Deep breath: I didn’t think Tom Ford’s show was all that. Not that it was awful, by any means, but despite the beautiful tailoring and the immaculate execution it fell a little flat. It felt too self-referential. Too many frills and too few new ideas. There were gorgeous, curvy, super vamp dresses that I loved, but the flouncy peasant blouses and corset belts seemed like a Guilty Pleasures version of Tom Ford.

what other bad reviews did the show get? im intrigued, as much as i disliked the previous two collections :|

Apparently Le Figaro's Virginie Mouzat was not a fan of the collection

Another Critic Pans Tom Ford's Latest Collection

Le Figaro's Virginie Mouzat was initially told that only fashion editors would be permitted to attend Tom Ford's show in London, not journalists or critics. However, she got an invitation anyway. "Thus begins what will slowly turn into a nightmare," she writes in her subsequent report. Translated from French:
From the first model on the runway, we are struck by what resembles an out-of-style Gucci collection from ten years ago. The fussy complications of the cuts (drawstrings, shirring, high-waisted skirts, leg-of-lamb sleeves), the disheveled hairstyle of a girl barely back from happy hour, and the overdone makeup... Overload is the key word of the show... The laced shoe? An ersatz model of an Alaia. The jogging shorts in black leather? Already seen last year in Celine's cruise collection, as were the sandals with bracelet straps (here, encrusted with rhinestones).The coat bristling with raffia? A pale version of those in Yves Saint Laurent's spring 1967 collection.

If all this wasn't bad enough, Mouzat then describes Ford's terribly embarrassing post-finale bow, which failed to incite a standing ovation from the crowd.
At the end of this inventory suited to Kim Kardashian, Tom Ford appears. He advances. And he remains there, in the central area, asking people to stand up. Perhaps [people would do so] out of distress, or sympathy, or because all of this is supposed to be festive after all. But everybody just looks at their feet. The music does not stop. Ford tries to speak above the noise, louder. We can't hear a thing. We just see this baby-faced man trying desperately to clear the air. He throw himself upon his companion, Richard Buckley, and hugs him (Ralph Lauren often hugs his companion Ricky at the end of his shows, but then he returns backstage). But here everyone stays put. So Tom Ford retreats toward Anna Wintour and now it's she whom he decides to embrace.Troubling.

Of course, as Mouzat points out, we won't see any photographs of the clothes for some time, so we'll have to take her word for it.
nymag.com

I feel emabarassed just by reading about the finale incident. I can't even imagine how Tom Ford felt afterwards :ninja::innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the reason behind this exclusivity was his insecurities... He appears as quite pathetic which is sad. Maybe he should consider stopping his womens line and just stick to making accessories.

It's true that everything he has produced so far [for his womens line] feels extremelly dated. It feels like he's stuck in the past and doesn't seem to understand that things have changed since his last days at Gucci... May he stop before his lose his credibility.

Poor Tom. You can't be on top every season. He's got a bit of lagerfeld syndrome.

So the reason behind this exclusivity was his insecurities... He appears as quite pathetic which is sad. Maybe he should consider stopping his womens line and just stick to making accessories.

It's true that everything he has produced so far [for his womens line] feels extremelly dated. It feels like he's stuck in the past and doesn't seem to understand that things have changed since his last days at Gucci... May he stop before his lose his credibility.
A single collection gets a tepid review from some critics and that makes his women's line a failure worth discontinuing? Yeah, that's not extreme or anything.

it's funny that the review says

From the first model on the runway, we are struck by what resembles an out-of-style Gucci collection from ten years ago.

Cause that's exactly what his other 2 collections looked to me aswell. i wonder how i'm gonna react to this one

A single collection gets a tepid review from some critics and that makes his women's line a failure worth discontinuing? Yeah, that's not extreme or anything.

I didn't mean it in that way. I just hope that kind of problem won't happen again. I feel like his ego is too big for him to accept to move forward and stop repeating those dated looks he has produced so far. Therefore, I'm hoping he stops before getting bashed after each season for showing dated stuff and having ego issues (those are fine when you design great stuff, not when your collections aren't so good).

Could he had planned all this bad review...I suspect. If anything, Tom is brilliant at marketting!

^I honestly can't see the logic behind that. His previous two collections got good reviews and a lot of attention so I don't see how a bad review would necessarily mean more attention. For me it's more like critics have finally stopped kissing his *ss and being more honest about his dated aesthetic.

I love Tom Ford, but I can't judge his latest show, why? Because there was the "no photo" policy. Again. So I assume it'll be two-three months before he puts the pictures that Terry Richardson took on his site. I looked up the reviews on yelp of his store in NYC a few months ago, and apparently he keeps the clothes behind glass! GLASS! It seems like he's saying "Only the rich and classiest of people can see, touch,smell,lick,and revel in the amazingness of my clothes." I would appreciate him so much more if he would let the public see the clothes. But from what I hear, the collection is a bust anyway.

HARPER'S BAZAAR ESPANA OCTOBER 2011

Un Hombre Feliz

Tom Ford by Simon Perry

Suenos De Un Seductor
Sheila Marquez by Rafale Stahelin
Styled by J. Cebrian

storemags

I love Tom Ford, but I can't judge his latest show, why? Because there was the "no photo" policy. Again. So I assume it'll be two-three months before he puts the pictures that Terry Richardson took on his site. I looked up the reviews on yelp of his store in NYC a few months ago, and apparently he keeps the clothes behind glass! GLASS! It seems like he's saying "Only the rich and classiest of people can see, touch,smell,lick,and revel in the amazingness of my clothes." I would appreciate him so much more if he would let the public see the clothes. But from what I hear, the collection is a bust anyway.
Actually the store isn't like that anymore, it hasn't been since it first opened when the different racks were build like glass closets. Everything's out in the open now (except for some built in visual displays that are behind glass).

C'mon, the only reason why Tom Ford doesn't show his collections it's because he wants exclusivity, his clients don't want to wear dresses in the summer 2012 that f*cking celebrities wore in the fall 2011, it's simple.

C'mon, the only reason why Tom Ford doesn't show his collections it's because he wants exclusivity, his clients don't want to wear dresses in the summer 2012 that f*cking celebrities wore in the fall 2011, it's simple.

Part of me likes that and it annoys part of me. If you really want exclusivity just control when the actual pieces are released, the images are irrelevant. Yeah there will be copies but I'm sure he's not creating something new and innovative, specially being the commercial wh*re he is. (I say that with the utter most respect, heck for him it's a compliment)

Wouldn't he be the one who has the power as to when the actual dresses and pieces are released? That's all he really has to change, not when the IMAGES are out. If the pieces are not released until the date that they go on sale then they would get exclusivity.

It's like Givenchy having a presentation for it's Haute Couture, and people saying it's for exclusivity yet we see Beyonce, Courtney Love, Naomi Campbell and who knows who else wore those gowns. He's just using his RTW the same way that other designers use their haute couture, to be a driving force for his make up line and perfumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->