Tom Ford : Life after Gucci #2

released in January!? not very intouch with today's 'nowness' society, no? (or perhaps that's really the point... but... seriously?)
this is like the good old (NOT) days when people attending fashion presentation weren't even allowed to sketch what was being shown.

leave it to tom to completely carve out a new way to even show. i'm glad exclusivity is making a bonafide comeback. first, givenchy couture. now, tom ford. i wonder who will follow suit.

leave it to tom to completely carve out a new way to even show. i'm glad exclusivity is making a bonafide comeback. first, givenchy couture. now, tom ford. i wonder who will follow suit.

I agree, the exclusivity is a big plus for me. It also fits his image very well, he's all about luxury and exclusivity. He doesn't work with halves.. Besides everyone is dying to see what he'll be doing.. what better way to sharpen the tension even more.

It probably also means that there won't be any of his clothes in editorials or something, which leaves out influence of magazines.. I really don't mind any of it, go Tom!..

Except.. celebrity models. That makes me sigh a bit, it sounds a bit kitsch, but let's see..

at least givenchy couture was only shown to buyers. having victoria beckham model your clothes doesnt scream 'exclusivity' to me.

^it does if she buys it. love her or hate her, she's exactly his customer.

beyonce too? don't tell me beyonce is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of a tom ford woman... or exclusivity.

1_746.jpg
2_729.jpg
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sure, in the average fashion show, there might be a token celebrity model - say, Dita von Teese at Jean Paul Gaultier's last couture show, or Pamela Anderson at Vivienne Westwood's A/W'10 ready-to-wear presentation.

But then, Tom Ford is not your average fashion designer. The former Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent designer's return to womenswear after six years concentrating on menswear and film directing, is the most-anticipated moment of the Spring 2011 season.

So it's not that surprising to hear that, following news that Ford has cast French starlet Lou Doillon to walk in his clothes, he has also persuaded some rather more A-list celebrities to model his first own label collection - namely, fellow designer Victoria Beckham and superstar Beyonce Knowles. Not only that, but The Daily blog reports that "every model is a celebrity", and that the designer himself will "walk [read: "talk"] the audience through each look personally" - a fabulously retro technique most recently employed by Beckham for her own fashion presentations.

Ford's highly-secretive, high-security showcase will take place later today at New York Fashion Week, and is expected to be shown before a very select audience. Details are leaking out tantalisingly slowly. And don't expect to be any the wiser once the show has finished. Reports suggest that all those present will have to sign confidentiality agreements and there will only be one official in-house photographer allowed to snap the looks on all those A-listers - and even those images won't be released until January 2011 when the clothes hit the rails, to prevent copying. [/FONT]
So now you know; the first trend emerging for Spring 2011 is: hush-hush is the new hype.

graziadaily.co.uk

^they both buy their husbands GOBS of the stuff. also, though you may hate the house, they spend tens of thousands of dollars at balmain. i'm thinking that's the customer tom ford's going after.....not in style necessarily, but in exclusivity.

Having victoria beckham model your clothes doesnt scream 'exclusivity' to me.

Agree. I don't have anything against her but chosing her and Beyoncé among that celebrity cast is just... not what Tom Ford is to me. I don't even get why he decided to use celebrities. I love the idea of exclusivity but couldn't help but being disappointed when I read about the "models".

what... I can already imagine the presentation... with all the celebreties laughing and acting silly, drinking wine and exaggerating a model's walk.

Hummm, I'm not sure how I feel about it, but Tom knows what he wants and what he's doing. You must admit that he is not only an excellent designer, but a very excellent business man so he thoroughly thought this out. It kills me we have to wait so long, but at the same time, it's what I've been hoping for ... remove the spectacle of the "show" away and also slow fashion down a little. It's a very vintage approach in all ways. Fashion shows used debutantes and socialites as models, and eventhough these celebrities are no where near that, the point is they are placing the clothes on the people that can afford them so to entice them. Smart move Mr Ford. ^^

Ugh I hate him for doing this. I could care less about the model casting. Its the clothes I'm most curious about. His collection is now going to be at the back of my mind for months. In that sense he is a genius business man.

Well, the anticipation may be the death of me. Six years and counting and we still have to wait???

As for the cast, I don't like it or get it. Not one of those three women mentioned are who I would think of when I hear the name Tom Ford. I truly don't see them as his ideal. Quite frankly names like Beyonce and Beckham which are splashed on everything from crap perfume to jeans to cocktail dresses, don't have any air of exclusivity about them. Their availability in both the media and the marketplace render them, imo anyway, the exact opposite of exclusive. Lou on the other hand just has an image/style that seems a million miles away from Tom's aesthetic, but I'm kind of curious to see what he'll do with her.

beyonce? i thought that was a joke when i first read it. he must be kidding, right??

as much as everyone hates victoria beckham.....she did sort of make her entire image in the spice girls about being in a gucci dress. a gucci dress....by tom ford. people have let their personal feelings about these celebrities and their fashion lines color their perception about this very astute courting of very very rich women.

also, many women STILL copy everything those women wear. beyonce isn't running around in dereon nor is victoria beckham only running around in her own stuff. and tom ford has NEVER EVER been afraid of celebrity. he's been on the cover of vanity fair, for pete's sake.

If the casting rumors are true, I absolutely get it.

Following this on Twitter is edge-of-my-seat fascinating.

as much as everyone hates victoria beckham.....she did sort of make her entire image in the spice girls about being in a gucci dress. a gucci dress....by tom ford.

yeah, i remember that scene in Spice World the movie (don't ask) where Victoria is going through her closet and agonizing about what to wear. 'the little Gucci dress, the little Gucci dress or the little Gucci dress.'

she made it so iconic, even tho she wasn't even wearing Gucci at the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"