Tom Ford : Life after Gucci (November 2004 - March 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
FORD'S FRENCH FEELING

HAVING dismissed the French as "the worst dressed people in the world", Tom Ford is determined to continue slating them. "French people refuse all that is new as a matter of principle," the ex-Gucci creative director, who these days spreads his life between homes in Texas, LA and London, tells this morning's Daily Telegraph. "They are desperately clinging to their traditions, like old curtains. The hierarchical system, the bureaucracy. How do the French think they can keep their place in the world by only working a 35-hour week? It's a total aberration. America is a society founded on merit and - as opposed to France - we really appreciate successful people." He was clearly feeling more friendly on a trip to the Oxford University Union this week, however where he was invited to join an impressive line up of speakers including weapons researcher Hans Blix and former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar. Asked where he would like to be five years from now, Ford was less reticent than usual. "I hope I will have finished at least one movie," he said, admitting that until now he has been sent all kinds of scripts including "p*rn - everything about sex and the fashion business". "But that doesn't mean fashion is over," he went on. "I would be living half in London designing things and making movies in Hollywood." The union's president, Ruzwana Bashire, told the International Herald Tribune that she was pleased with the standard of questions put to Ford. Even those, it seems, about his own appearance. Asked why he always wore his shirts wide open at the neck, he made not a moment's hesitation. "The chest is like legs for women," he said. "It's the last thing to go."

funny that the french have produced better fashion that he ever did....

"I would be living half in London designing things"

It's good to try something you haven't done before Tom, I applaud you.

Originally posted by helena@Nov 16 2004, 06:52 AM
funny that the french have produced better fashion that he ever did....
[snapback]433976[/snapback]​
:lol:

thanks helena.... :P

Johnny Posted Today, 07:19 AM
  "I would be living half in London designing things"
It's good to try something you haven't done before Tom, I applaud you.

Hahaha :lol: ...

i guess i'm a little slow..but i've just realized why tom hatees the french suddenly...and it's because they didn't embrace him as some god-like adonis at YSL...but instead pereferred the way things had been and were resistant to change...or at least to the changes he wanted to make...it is true that the french are very set in their ways are are not very open to new things...

well... he must have had a much harder time at ysl than he ever let on...personally , i'm glad...it's good that mr fancy was cut down to size and reminded that he did not rule the universe...but only the gucci label...which he eventually lost anyway...

this is very telling...

B) :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 16 2004, 10:54 AM
well... he must have had a much harder time at ysl than he ever let on...personally , i'm glad...it's good that mr fancy was cut down to size and reminded that he did not rule the universe...but only the gucci label...which he eventually lost anyway...

this is very telling...

B) :innocent:
[snapback]434213[/snapback]​
:lol: very true
for some reason when I read the things he said, I kept thinking about Naomi Watts in Le Divorve, complaining about her French mother in law :lol: :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 16 2004, 05:54 PM
...and it's because they didn't embrace him as some god-like adonis at YSL...
[snapback]434213[/snapback]​

softgrey, you are so right - and that might deeply hurt his ego.

...what is it about those swaggering texans that make them hate the french so bad? :unsure:

...because french men threaten their masculinity.

Originally posted by tiffany@Nov 16 2004, 12:20 PM
:lol: very true
for some reason when I read the things he said, I kept thinking about Naomi Watts in Le Divorve, complaining about her French mother in law :lol: :innocent:
[snapback]434280[/snapback]​

Me too!!! hee hee...

sorry but am I alone in thinking that working a 35 hour week is a good thing? surely that makes for a happier, more well rounded person & therefore population? The french are streets ahead of us all when it comes to culture, intellectualism and general level of education. They learn english & spanish from the age of six.... They have an extremely advanced state education system. Is that not the foundation of a meritocracy? They are not a nation plagued by obesity or poverty.....and thats just me getting started on the topic. How can this moron of a man, from Texas, possibly say that the french are an abberation?

...no doubt he'll have his sights set on high things though....

Originally posted by helena@Nov 16 2004, 01:00 PM
How can this moron of a man, from Texas, possibly say that the french are an abberation?
[snapback]434450[/snapback]​
:rofl: that honesstly made my day :lol: thanks helena :flower:

he lives here? :blink:
he must be a total recluse then.......nobody i know has ever seen him anywhere

Originally posted by helena+Nov 16 2004, 01:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(helena @ Nov 16 2004, 01:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is that not the foundation of a meritocracy?
[/b]

education is not the foundation of a meritocracy: celebrity is. a tom ford would never have come about if he had been born in the french countryside. the french are much too refined to worship celebrity like we do here.

<!--QuoteBegin-Acid
@Nov 16 2004, 01:12 PM
he lives here? :blink:
he must be a total recluse then.......nobody i know has ever seen him anywhere
[snapback]434476[/snapback]​
[/quote]

he went out two nights ago to the "being julia" premiere...so he's around your neck of the woods somewhere. london is the "new" new york, after all. B)

Originally posted by mikeijames@Nov 16 2004, 03:08 PM
education is not the foundation of a meritocracy: celebrity is. a tom ford would never have come about if he had been born in the french countryside. the french are much too refined to worship celebrity like we do here.
[snapback]434565[/snapback]​

my prediction is that he'll run for president one day....

Originally posted by helena@Nov 16 2004, 02:00 PM
sorry but am I alone in thinking that working a 35 hour week is a good thing? surely that makes for a happier, more well rounded person & therefore population? The french are streets ahead of us all when it comes to culture, intellectualism and general level of education. They learn english & spanish from the age of six.... They have an extremely advanced state education system. Is that not the foundation of a meritocracy? They are not a nation plagued by obesity or poverty.....and thats just me getting started on the topic. How can this moron of a man, from Texas, possibly say that the french are an abberation?

...no doubt he'll have his sights set on high things though....

Your comments make France look so appealing, and i thought I was planning to defect there in my later years because women are alllowed to age gracefully and are considered sexy much longer. Vanity is my real motivation, but your lil shpiel sounds so much cooler. Hm... Maybe that will be my new excuse :innocent:
I def don't think a moron could reach his level of success and that he is so very gifted, at the very least as a provacateur and business man. But his comments were rude, biggoted, and merit the backlash. Dumb dumb.

Originally posted by luvkoshi@Nov 16 2004, 02:16 PM
But his comments were rude, biggoted, and merit the backlash. Dumb dumb.
[snapback]434584[/snapback]​

you must remember his comments are a reaction to the years of very negative reception he's been given by the french. :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->