Tom Ford : Life after Gucci (November 2004 - March 2010)

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by helena, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reese06

reese06 Well-Known Member

I definitely agree. Sure, there are men that buy his suits, slippers, and dressing robes but I'm sure his fragrances and sunglasses are where a majority of his money comes from.

#1101 reese06, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by moderator johneffkennedy: May 16, 2009
  2. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Everyone, let's try to keep this thread focused on Tom's current work rather than his appearence. To discuss his personal style, social life or personal life, you can visit his thread in Star Style, found here.

Thank you. :flower:

#1102 Spike413, May 24, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Ava Madison: May 27, 2009
  3. b9409

b9409 New Member

nstperfume.com

#1103 b9409, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by moderator bugonin: Jun 5, 2009
  4. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

also, you have to figure most "new ventures" are given three to five years to fly so i don't think the pressure's on him at all right now. plus, he infused his fledgling company with cash through his partnership with estee lauder early on....

let's not forget that he walked away from the gucci group with a reported four or five hundred million dollars so he can float his company for a while through these hard times. besides, he's already established himself as the go-to source for unabashed fashion in menswear. i mean, it's not like hedi slimane's out there giving him a run for his money anymore.

5. b9409

b9409 New Member

Still, it would be much better if the times were a bit favorable for him to start a business like this. Many very established companies like Bulgari, Cartier, LV and Chanel are bleeding. Of course they cannot be compared to Tom's company and what he is trying to do, but money is money and people have a lot less of it now. With all that investment, it was estimated early on that he would not be able to make any profits for a long time as it is. I am sure this must be an extra difficult time for him.

And no matter what anyone says, his apparel customer is so slim in numbers as it is. It is not like he is aiming to be the next Zegna or Armani.

I wonder how Brioni is doing.

6. mikeijames

actually, tom ford's stated goal is to become the next giogio armani who started his company in a similar fashion with high end menswear and a readily identifiable suit -- i mean, who can't identify an armani jacket?

also, one has to think that's why he's so interested in film because that's so much of the dna of armani as well: that whole american gigolo aspect. tom's just waiting to get a new icon of new millenial masculinity and unabashed cool factor like richard gere.

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2006/09/15/magazine/20060917_GIORGIO_SLIDESHOW_3.html

7. homeboy

homeboy New Member

The Tom Ford brand is quite distinguishable from the brands you mentioned. LV undoubtedly makes a large portion of their money from the monogram canvas products which are mostly bought by middle and upper middle class people, as opposed to Tom Fords immensely expensive products that are preferred by the cremé of society. I've been to his store on Maddison Avenue and there was nothing I could afford in there. Yes everyone has been affected by the recession but his clientel is more immune as they are people with genuine wleath as oppossed to upper middle and upper middle class people who often have most of their wealth tied into their mortgage.

8. Dkammern

Dkammern DÔMMkammern

9. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

^ I could think of worse icons to have. And Daniel Craig looks pretty damn good in Tom's clothes.

That's all I'm sayin...:innocent:

10. LetThemEatCake

LetThemEatCake New Member

I really really really am OBSESSED with Japon Noir and Oud Wood Tom Ford Private Blend collection-whatever its called, the boy at Saks or Neiman's or Nordstrom or wherev I was, he was upset, the SA, because the counter they'd given the line was stuck in a corner and not very big, saying, "This is only available in 60-something or other locations in the world, and this is how they treat it."

These fragrances though are the best I've ever come in contact with and I like to think of myself as at least a conoisseur of fragrances and personal care luxe items, anyhow...I may have already posted this exact same post further back, and any apologies about Tom's personal life, I do like the guy, enough said. ^_^

11. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

For the life of me I cannot remember which of the private blends I tried out at his Madison Ave. mecca. It was incredible. I'm gonna have to make it my business to get back there and smell them all until I figure it out.

He and the perfumers he's worked with over the years really do make magic. Some of my favorite fragrances are his.

12. JeanAvril

JeanAvril Active Member

^ They really do make magic. M7 and Gucci Rush are some of the sexiest scents I've ever smelt. I haven't tried the Private Blend collection yet but hopefully the next time I go to Neimans I will. Purple Patchouli sounds amazing.

13. b9409

b9409 New Member

He just released a few new ones this year: Italian Cypress, Champaca Absolute, Arabian Wood, and Bois Marocain... he is building up the collection rather steadily, which means sales are good. That is nice to assume.

14. mikeijames

also, by making his designs SO EXPENSIVE, it makes his down market experiments SO COVETABLE. i don't think his eyeglasses and fragrances would find as much success if his main line found itself accessible.

seriously, it's the chanel model: most girls who buy chanel frames and perfumes could not afford a chanel suit for their lives.

15. mikeijames

yes, but how many bond fans know his clothes are by tom ford?...we need a film that's connected to fashion and the luxury experience that finds wide appeal like american gigolo did.

i'm sure it's being cooked up by someone. he needs a george clooney or brad pitt or someone in the $20M pay range to wear it perfectly in a glossy big budget feature.

16. b9409

b9409 New Member

He is shooting his own movie with Colin Firth. That should be enough to satisfy anyone who would turn to movies to find inspiration for mens clothing.

17. Dkammern

Dkammern DÔMMkammern

^^that's a relief! Firth is certainly better than Craig!! B)
    sorry spike... but he has turned james bond into some random rambo on short sleeves shirts...
    edit: i actually meant "please, please tell me the new bond isn't his 'new icon' " i just realized that! :p

#1117 Dkammern, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Jun 12, 2009
  18. khyrk

khyrk Oh Yeah!

Tom Ford's Softer Side: White Musk

by Brid Costello

Posted Friday June 12, 2009

From WWD Issue 06/12/2009

WWD

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#1118 khyrk, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Sophie Lambert: Jun 12, 2009
  19. b9409

b9409 New Member

So his scents so far are:

Mass-market:

Black Orchid
    Black Orchid Voile de Fleur
    Tom Ford for Men
    White Patchouli

Exclusive:

Tom Ford Extreme

Private Blend:

Amber Absolute
    Black Violet
    Bois Rouge
    Japon Noir
    Moss Breches
    Neroli Portofino
    Noir de Noir
    Oud Wood
    Purple Patchouli
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather
    Velvet Gardenia
    Italian Cypress
    Champaca Absolute
    Bois Marocain
    Arabian Wood

Private Blend White Musk:

Jasmine Musk
    Urban Musk
    Musk Pure
    White Suede

future releases:

Grey Vetiver

wow... that list is impressive.

20. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Yes, please do!

I've only ever smelled (that sounds so silly, doesn't it?) Black Orchid and White Patchouli, and both became instant favorites.:heart: I can't even imagine what his Private Label fragrances are like. I can't wait till I'm in NY...I will most definitely be making a trip down to the Tom Ford boutique and I will be testing every last one.

Normally I don't really like perfume or cologne...I mean, I certainly love the idea of both, but most are generic at best. But, man, Tom Ford's work is genius, and I've only tested two of his fragrances.:shock:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.