Tom Ford S/S 2019 New York

Guys can we please talk about the make-up? It was so stunning, it gave the models the feel like muses coming from somewhere in the desert where La Saharienne by YSL as a concept, it gave so much character the face... The collection was amazing, so many references, specially from YSL and Gucci's past.AMAZING!

My only concerns just to make it perfect, it is that Tom Ford he is a perfectionist with the clothes, but I'd like to see the same with the show... The venue was a bit plane, but overall the casting (agree with the gigi comment up) and the music didn't do justice to this incredible collection.

Faultless! I don't care for the casting, but the clothes are perfect. Commercial glamour done right, and I'm ready for it's return across the board to be honest!
As usual the menswear is NOT for me, but I like the luxe approach.

It’s nice, but actually not as amazing as those YSL and Gucci collections, that he’s clearly referencing and that will always going to be high point of his career. There is something quite tragic when you start revisiting yourself.

It’s nice, but actually not as amazing as those YSL and Gucci collections, that he’s clearly referencing and that will always going to be high point of his career. There is something quite tragic when you start revisiting yourself.

He's like a Chanel suit in life form. I think TF only really need to innovate until a certain point. The possibilities are not endless for him. And it's not even important for him to push any envelopes anyway because Lola will just keep buying whatever's on offer. Because there is really no alternative to TF.

He's like a Chanel suit in life form. I think TF only really need to innovate until a certain point. The possibilities are not endless for him. And it's not even important for him to push any envelopes anyway because Lola will just keep buying whatever's on offer. Because there is really no alternative to TF.

I get your point. And to be honest I have nothing against brands that hit on a good formula and go on tweaking that formula season after season if the quality standard is the same. What I find a bit sad is this awareness you hit on the perfect note long ago, and although you made a sucess out of it after and tried different things, only by closely recreating your best work, you can get the same type of rush. The comments in this thread are the perfect example.

Ahhahaha!
You know, i also find sad that someone look back at his work. I'm a fashion lover first and i'm always for anybody looking forward.
I think i've came to the point where i don't mind it. Tom is a very talented and great designer but i think he was quite insecure when he came back to fashion and those past 7 years were a kind of rollacoaster because we saw his insecurities. You see for example Hedi. He is a great menswear designer and everybody wondered what he could have done in womenswear... It was quite mediocre but it was clear that he was confident about it.

What i liked about Tom were the sleek and simple designs and the pieces i have in my wardrobe from his Gucci/YSL days are the epitome of that. I was less touched by his 2004 stuff which was full of satin and all. My favorite collection ever from him is S/S 2001. His best collections under his own name were the first one, the FW12, SS15 and this one. I've liked the majority of the others more or less but i think that overtime he has maybe found a comfortable place. He is an iconic designer and somehow, he knows that he will never be what he was and at the same time, people are nostalgic of his past but i see the collections and they look nothing like the past. He has found his inner tackiness since he came back to womenswear...

It's funny because Miuccia is a designer who always look back. The majority of her collections are based around a silhouette, a look or something of her past. Now she has went full throwback but it doesn't feel as heavy as when Tom does it.

I think that Tom is someone who really understand his world and the fashion environment. I repeat myself but i don't think that working with Carine help him moving forward.
It's like if Karl was still working with Carlyne Cerf...

I would like to believe that Tom is maybe a new kind of Alaia but Alaia went further in his approach by releasing past items every season. I think it might look desperate for Tom.

I think that Tom is someone who really understand his world and the fashion environment. I repeat myself but i don't think that working with Carine help him moving forward.
It's like if Karl was still working with Carlyne Cerf...

I would like to believe that Tom is maybe a new kind of Alaia but Alaia went further in his approach by releasing past items every season. I think it might look desperate for Tom.

Tom is kind of a new Alaia in that he is a part of fashion and he had his time but I wouldn't discuss or even mention him when it comes to looking forward.

By that, I would like to be optimistic that because Tom Ford is doing glamour, then it's signalling a turn for fashion but I don't think anyone is looking to him for what's next anymore. He has his aesthetic and people buy, respect and appreciate his brand but no one is referencing him. That, in itself is an achievement and something to be respected.

Back to this collection, I do like it. Not crazy about the turbins. The menswear is beautiful. I wish I could be that guy and afford his clothing. His menswear retains its value quite well on the secondary market.

Amazing collection. Just lovely, nothing fussy, everything to the point and as Tom Ford always has and should be. :mohawk:

I love everything about this collection even though taken as a whole, it does project a distinct sense of deja vu due to the blatant references. But I don't really care. When I saw the skirtsuits clinched with corsets, the silk men's blazers reinterpreted through a women's cut, the juxtaposition of hard-edged leather or crocodile skin and lace slips, and even down to the unapologetic attempt at embracing codes of bourgeoisie with the turban, my eyes gleamed with joy. There are so many elements put into one look, but they never come off gaudy to me, which is a quality that brands like Versace or Balmain should aspire to be. It's too bad that NYFW started off with a high note only to stumble upon a series of off-pitch collections and hasn't recovered since.

This show was definitely the best, out of all the mediocre NYFW shows this stood out as the one and only beacon of taste, elegance and glamour. That second black dress with the wind swept ruching was my favorite, absolutely flawless, brought me back to a time when fashion had interesting things to tell which seems so far gone in this era of insta-gimmicks, stunt castings and overwhrought press releases. It's also incredible how he managed to encapsulate so many aspects of what made Gucci (his, is the only one) so great, you got the armor like contruction of those corsets and that dress with the impossible cleavage on Chiharu Okunugi, the Hollywood mermaid vibe of the closing dresses, the return of the world weary seductress in those lace-hemmed skirts and to my surprise he remains king of the skin tight knee-length dress. The metallic pastel shades of the shoes brought a lighter touch that I really appreciated. Happy to read on Cathy Horyn's review that, at least for now, Tom's tired of the tacky excesses of his last few shows.

Last edited:
Love how he makes fun of his own collection with Celeste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->