Tom Scott S/S 11 New York

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
haha...i love susie's little blurb:P

P.E. Antics

>> I should be dead against posting anything that is gym class or more to the point P.E. (stands for physical education supposedly but in truth, it's PURE EVIL) given my torrid past with this wretched class. Hey I'm not against physical activity - just not err… team sports where both classmates AND teacher gang up on you to make you feel like a complete idiotic wimp.

However, I couldn't help but be charmed by Tom Scott's latest knitted gym class foray. Scott always creates a little world to immerse yourself in at his presentations and this time it's no different with his setting at the very posh and rarified 'gym' at the Notre Dame High School in West Village. Alright, if I had these clothes on, perhaps I would be able to summon some cheer about netball or hockey - even if I did get wacked in the shins or a ball bounced onto my face and broke my glasses (yes, both things happened on MULTIPLE occasions). Perhaps I could work through the pain if I had a shot of neon coral, some holey/netted knits, some silver foil/lurex textures and some grey cashmere sweats (I knows I've gone to far though when I start eschewing my beloved jersey for cashmere…) to nourish my texture-loving soul. Still, of course, Cher et co in Clueless comes to mind when it comes to designer 'gym' wear such as this and seeing as I no longer have to endure Pure.Evil classes anymore, I can sit happy knowing that Tom Scott's pieces are purely for pleasure and can be as far removed from balls, hockey sticks and terrifying team-picking as I please...

6a00e5508e95a988330133f4fa7df3970b-800wi

6a00e5508e95a988330134881a3332970c-800wi

6a00e5508e95a988330134881a3360970c-800wi

6a00e5508e95a988330134881a3bb0970c-800wi

*stylebubble.co.uk

I found some info on him. I thought he said something funny about weaving. So true!
"I've always hand-knitted and hand-crocheted; my grams taught me how to crochet when I was little," said Scott. "My grandma was actually a lace maker - she's Scottish - and my father was a carpet weaver."
Clearly, the textile apple didn't fall too far from the tree in the Scott family, though the designer says when it comes to his eponymous line - which boasts an upside down label on every garment - he's as much about the process as the end result. "I think I was more fascinated with the knitting machine and figuring out how to manipulate stitches on the machine," he explained. "And it also gives you instant gratification, where weaving is such a [labor intensive] process and it takes such a long time to complete a fabric."
And a bit about his process...
"It's a stream-of-consciousness process," added the designer, who works mostly by draping and often takes old sweaters apart and puts them back together in different ways to see how they fall on the body. "Sometimes it's a big mess," he laughed. "I always have a very clear idea of what I want, then I put it on the form and it's like 'Oh, that's totally wrong.'"
What happens then?
"I manipulate it, and sometimes I scrap it," he replied. "I'd say 25 percent of the time it works and 75 percent of the time it doesn't. But sometimes, I cut something out wrong and it's like, 'Oh, I love that!' A lot of my things are mistakes. I'm always just playing around, really."
thefashioninformer.typepad.com

I think it's a nice show. I like the wide variety of material surfaces

wwd

Inspired by a 1915 Iowa State University yearbook called “The Bomb,” Tom Scott interpreted Americana sport with retro silhouettes and a palette that ranged from girly to futuristic hues. He was most successful when subverting conventional knitwear. After all, it’s not easy to make old gym shirts look downright feminine as he did with an open-weave cropped sweater paired with cashmere briefs. Scott turned metallic raffia into a basketball net weave while other fun knits included a sweet polka dot cutout T and an asymmetric striped oversize sweater.

2m7jlmd.jpg
2chvmhk.jpg

120krpj.jpg
ifvo2f.jpg

nbcftd.jpg
2uiu34p.jpg

w1pq2x.jpg
2yydrog.jpg

15edmc.jpg
2v1p5jq.jpg

^thanks for adding those gius! i don't have a subscription to wwd so i didn't get to see them.

i love those big chunky,one-off style pieces and that black cowl neck knit is up my alley too.

His work always seems unremarkable to me in presentation photos but in person they are FANTASTIC. Really really beautiful and special pieces. He's definitely not your typical fashion designer.

mmmm ... some of those boys in those short shorts :woot:

why couldn't they have been in my gym class!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->