Tomas Maier Exits Bottega Veneta

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by dodencebt, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

wwd.com

2. embrionar

embrionar Member

Nooooo..:( That is such sad news...

3. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Finally.
    It was about time...
    Of course like all the others «*Tom Ford’s camp designers*», he was fired because of slow sales.

The Pinault can finally have the group modeled to their wants and I guess it will be a mess oriented towards instant success.

4. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

That's sad. Amidst the designer musical chairs, it was particularly refreshing to see him quietly do his own thing.

5. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

Hey Phoebe...we have a job for you!

6. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

According to Vanessa Friedman from the New York Times, Maier is leaving effective immediately and he won't be doing the September show.

This must have caught all journalists off guard because there are no pre-prepared articles about his tenure, more information about him leaving, business analysis and speculations for the future. These things are always known a bit in advance, I haven't seen such scarce reporting in years.

7. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

I saw it coming. He was really in that fase of a designer's tenure when you're just burned out, nothing left to say, just phoning in.

He's a great designer tho, hope to see him making great clothes again soon somewhere else.

8. VogueDisciple93

VogueDisciple93 Active Member

That took longer than I expected... I am surprised it seems to have happened suddenly with him leaving immediately always knew his days were numberedd but thought they would have had a more harmonious transition.

9. orchidee

orchidee Active Member

Not surprising, but certainly disappointing. He hasn't produced a collection of note in a few years now and he probably needs a break to refresh his point of view.

10. mathiaskatz

mathiaskatz Active Member

Bottega Veneta would have been long dead without Maier. Will be looking forward to his future.

11. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

There comes a time when a designer has to move on. He had a good run, unfortunately he had nothing left to say these past few years. He let sales overtake his creativity and vision. At his peak he produced luxurious artisanal clothing that was undeniably chic and very Italian. He dropped the ball after he combined Menswear with Womenswear. Both were very individual and fabulous on their own, but it was obvious that he wasn't giving them the attention they needed. Now would be the perfect time for Stefano Pilati or Frida to get back into the game.

12. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Sad! Yes, recent collections were somewhat forgettable but he's produced so many great ones over the last decade and a half (just great clothes in general!)

Hope to see him pop up again somewhere soon...but the talent in fashion seems to be fading into the background these days and perhaps understandably not reappearing.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: Businessoffashion.com

14. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

I just remembered that things did not end well for Frida or Stefano, whoops. :lol: A few people have bringing up Phoebe Philo. Whoever takes his place should have a keen eye for bags.

15. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Only BOF can dare to put The Row alongside Hermes...Please!

Phoebe will not return now (even if she wanted it would it impossible considering the non-compete agreement of 1 year).
    I think Kering will as usual go for the unknown person maybe but if they wants a star designer, they should try to convince Alber.

I don't think that Frida, Stefano or even Facchinetti would ever go back to Kering.

He could be the Margiela/Gaultier of BV because he knows the lifestyle and the desire of that wealthy clientele and a brand like that needs some Glamour.

Whoever they choose, please bring some glamour! Pagliangula if he go back to his Vionnet days could be perfect.

#15 Lola701, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited by moderator salis5: Jun 14, 2018
  16. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

Maier was a quiet force in a very loud world and that what makes me really appreciate him. I wish him the best. My only hope is that they don't ruin this brand with some street style nonsense. We need at least a house with class, elegance and luxury.

17. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Yes it bugs me also.All those random articles from C-list journalists...They just should hire someone like Bridget Foley. They still look like an advanced version of fashionista.

I will miss Mr Maier. He always produces the most beautiful ads:heart:

18. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

via Business of Fashion

19. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

Hello there. :shifty:

Glad to see they didn't go for a hyped, streetwear name. I guess they'll continue going for the quietly luxurious, minimalist approach they're known for.

20. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

I had a feeling that Phoebe's team would be snatching big jobs left and right, a la Nicola's team.

Hope he does well!