Tony Melillo Mens S/S 08 NYC

SomethingElse

Press escape to continue.
Reaction score
The Velvet Underground's Heroin is a perversely gorgeous celebration of nothingness, the wickedest "why?" in pop. So its choice as the soundtrack for Tony Melillo's debut runway presentation inevitably sparked other questions. Why, for example, would Melillo, a much-loved fixture on the New York fashion scene (if the turnout of high-octane supporters was any indication), choose to take such a big step in his career with a collection so minimal to the point of nothingness? Or was nothingness actually the point? When the music cut out for a while, it could almost have been deliberate—enjoy the silence.

Melillo dressed his show with a hymn of praise to "hybrids," men whose personal style is so acute they can transmogrify the most basic classic with an effortless touch or two. And they'd need that magic touch with items this subdued: a black jacket with matching shorts, a cardigan, Bermudas, a zipped hoodie, drawstring pants, a single-buttoned blazer. The outfits had a slack feel that suggested students sharing clothes. A white T-shirt and black pants? How's that for a fashion critique of the essential banality of the human condition? The "hybrid" theme was tentatively present in combos like a gabardine blazer and bike shorts that might have been black velveteen (would that it were so), but in the end, it was all so curiously low-key that, with the Velvets fading away into the ether, one couldn't help but return to their original question.
— Tim Blanks

4yzlpon.jpg
68ksj1l.jpg

men.style.com

im liking this.. i think i like this one better than Robert Geller...reminds me i should have gotten that office assistant job at Melillo

really digging it...reminds me a bit of Patrik Ervell but a bit more nonchalant..the Tshirt scarf is a great touch

Did anyone read Tim Blanks review?
If this collection was anymore boring, I'd have to do heroin like the song suggested.
If this is fashion then wake me when it's over.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

PS- the only interesting things are the David Hockney glasses already done ad nauseum last season.

i'm still not taking serious most of menswear fashion as i'm taking womenswear...
but cute basics... though no need to block NY fw calendar for this...
omg, i feel like if i were NY fw organizer there won't be that many shows... and a lot of showroom presentations...:rolleyes::lol:

Did anyone read Tim Blanks review?
If this collection was anymore boring, I'd have to do heroin like the song suggested.
If this is fashion then wake me when it's over.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
Tim Blanks = Zzzzzzz

How's that for a fashion critique of the essential banality of the human condition?
:doh::huh::ninja::innocent:
yeah yeah... good question...

I'm all for minimalism in a good way but this is really NOTHING.
Is there a detail? no.
Is there an interesting shape or form. No.

How is it some are appreciated and others not? If this was Marc Jacobs I think we would hear thunder. Why?

The styling and the casting really showcase the rather boring clothes quite well.

nice and clean. where can i find his stuff for sale? anyone know the quality of the garments?

I'm just excited by the fact that so much is hapenning in menswear to make a collection like this questionable when it used to be the swallowed norm. I do like the feel of it, there's a weight to it, its inhabited, there's an overall feeling of being very, very comfortable in your own skin. You just can't help but wonder why he didn't feel, at least for this season, that there wasn't anywhere else to take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ethan1995
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->