Top 20 Most Iconic Red Carpet Dresses

Squizree

Looking Up
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone knew about this but research was done to find out which 20 red carpet dresses were the best ever.

Liz Hurley's Versace 'safety pin' dress voted greatest red carpet gown of all time
lizhurley_safetypindressvoted.jpg
Liz Hurley's infamous 'safety pin' dress, designed by Versace, has been voted the greatest red carpet gown of all time in a poll conducted by Debenhams.
Worn to the premiere of Four Weddings and a Funeral in 1994, by a then 29-year-old Hurley, the dress earned the actress so much attention she stole the limelight from her boyfriend at the time, Hugh Grant.
"Liz Hurley's daring safety pin dress is one of the most famous black dresses worn on the red carpet, which made her a household name overnight," said a Debenhams spokesperson. "At the time she was another unknown actress, more famous for being Hugh Grant's girlfriend but by wearing 'that dress' she was soon had worldwide fame."
To see what other famous dresses made the list, read on...

In the poll, Debenhams asked 3,000 women to pick their all-time favourite red carpet dresses. Other iconic frocks to make the list include Audrey Hepburn's 1954 Givenchy Oscar gown, and Julia Roberts's 2001 black
vintage Valentino Oscar dress.

Top 20 most iconic red carpet dresses:
1.Liz Hurley - Versace 'safety pin' Dress: Four Weddings and a Funeral premiere (1994)
2.Audrey Hepburn - White, belted flower patterned Givenchy dress: Oscars (1954)
3.Julia Roberts - black vintage Valentino dress: Oscars (2001)
4.Catherine Zeta Jones - red Versace dress: Oscars (1999)
5.Jennifer Lopez - plunging sheer green Versace dress: Grammy's (2000)
6.Keira Knightley - dark plum Vera Wang one shouldered dress: Oscars (2006)
7.Kate Winslet - red one shoulder flower strap gown by Ben de Lisi gown: Oscars (2002)
8.Halle Berry - Elie Saab net and embroidery topped dress: Oscars (2002)
9.Bjork - outrageous swan dress designed by Marjan Pejoski: Oscars (2001)
10.Kate Moss - vintage ripped Christian Dior gold satin gown: The Golden Age Of Couture VIP Gala, V & A Museum (2007)
11.Reese Witherspoon - knee length strapless yellow dress designed by Oliver Theyskens for Nina Ricci: Golden Globes (2007)
12.Cindy Crawford - Versace red plunge dress: Oscars (1991)
13.Gwyneth Paltrow - pink Ralph Lauren gown: Oscars (1999)
14.Charlize Theron - pale blue Christian Dior ruffle dress: Academy Awards (2005)
15.Penelope Cruz - pink strapless feathered Versace dress: Academy Awards (2007)
16.Hilary Swank - navy blue backless Guy Laroche dress: Academy Awards (2005)
17.Gisele - White Christian Dior strapless dress: Oscars (2005)
18.Cher - Bob Mackie's sheer art deco-inspired creation: Oscars (1987)
19.Renee Zellwegger - pastel yellow strapless Lily et Cie dress: Oscars (2001)
20.Uma Thurman - crimson Alberta Ferretti Gown: Oscars (2000)

telegraph.co.uk

Is the safety pin dress really all that iconic compared to others listed, or even dresses that weren't listed?

^Yeah I can think of other dresses that deserve to be on that list...like Natalie Portman's white Givenchy dress or SJP's grey Chanel. But to me Liz Hurley's safety pin dress is the most iconic.

The safety pin dress just screamed attention-wh*re, nothing more (wow, that rhymed!).

I would be nice to also see more dresses from the past listed, but I guess the people asked would be thinking of more recent ones.

Interesting list. I want to see Kate Moss' 'vintage ripped Dior'.

Photos anyone? :flower:

Gisele's white Dior? I barely hear that dress mentioned.

Where's Nicole Kidman's chartreuse Dior? Everyone raves about that dress.

Interesting list. I want to see Kate Moss' 'vintage ripped Dior'.

Photos anyone? :flower:

It wasn't meant to be ripped - she went to some party in this gorgeous long cream coloured eighty year old Dior dress. Courtney Love was there.

It got ripped. As in, torn to shix, as in, practically completely destroyed it. Ms Moss improvised and tied it in a knot by her waist.

Before:
kate_moss_before.jpg

After:
kate_moss_torn_dress.jpg

vintagefashionfiles.typepad.com

gisele_bundchen107.jpg

people, yahoo

These, plus Cindy Crawford and Kate Moss's dresses are definitely not "iconic" red carpet dresses. Also, Charlize theron shoud've been there for that orange number from 1999/2000. Penelope's similar dress isn't that memorable either.

Ugh, dont' know why I care, lol, that whole list is wrong.

i wouldn't have picked that uma thurman dress...
the lilac prada one was bigger news, for the simple fact that prada wasn't in the habit of dressing celebs for award shows back then...

i'd take out gisele, penelope, keira, kate winslet and catherine zeta-jones...and definitely add charlize's orange vera wang..

^Or Charlize's brown Dior. I think that was really good. Or Charlize's Versace Ateliers (2 of them)

I feel like I can only agree with a couple of these- like Gwyneth, Bjork and Jennifer Lopez... To me there are other dresses that stand out much more- even Kate Hudson's hippie dress from the Golden Globes (2000 I think) seems more iconic to me than Keira or Reese...

3.Julia Roberts - black vintage Valentino dress: Oscars (2001)

First dress i though of!

people, yahoo

These, plus Cindy Crawford and Kate Moss's dresses are definitely not "iconic" red carpet dresses. Also, Charlize theron shoud've been there for that orange number from 1999/2000. Penelope's similar dress isn't that memorable either.

Ugh, dont' know why I care, lol, that whole list is wrong.

Would you be up for telling me what your top 20 would be??

gwyneth paltrow, oscars 2007 (gown by zac posen) and oscars 2012 (tom ford). :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->