Top Quotes Of 2004

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Tuesday December 7, 2004

The Top Stories of 2004: They Said It ... Quotes culled from the pages of WWD over the past year.

“I don’t wear striped bathing suits because the way the stripe flashes in the water might lure sharks, and you don’t want to get eaten. I don’t wear black in the water, either, because I wouldn’t want a killer whale or a 1,000-pound leopard seal to mistake me for a penguin or a seal and have me for lunch.” — Swimmer Lynne Cox, Jan. 20
“So I think the life of a fashion designer is actually much shorter, because we measure them in seasons. Someone says, ‘How old are you?’ and I say, ‘Forty-two collections.’” — Roberto Cavalli, Feb. 7
“I had an epiphany last fall. It was: ‘Oh, I don’t have to be here anymore.’ I see myself living another life, with a backyard and a Volvo station wagon in the driveway.” — Former New York Post fashion editor Libby Callaway at the New York Collections, Feb. 17
“I just want to sit and watch TV for a week. I have no idea what’s going on in the world. I heard something about a naked Janet Jackson.” — Designer Lazaro Hernandez after his Proenza Schouler show, Feb. 17
“She just makes one jaw-dropping comment after another. You cannot put a filter on her.” — Claire Shipman, ABC News, on Teresa Heinz Kerry, Feb. 19
“I spend more on clothes now than I ever did, but I feel like I looked just as good when I was in drama school buying stuff from a thrift store. You know those people who buy from a thrift store and wear it like couture? I wear couture and it looks like I got it from a thrift store.” — Rachel Griffiths, Feb. 24
“When Tom Ford first went to Gucci, I thought to myself, ‘This is never going to happen.’ I’m from Dallas, and I thought to myself, ‘How can some guy from Austin take the helm of an Italian, luxury designer collection?’ Well, I was wrong, and the old cliché — ‘Never underestimate a boy from Texas’ — holds.” — Julie Gilhart, Barneys, on Ford’s finale, Feb. 26
“Here, George, take this cosmopolitan. It goes perfectly with the rest of you.” — Lynn Wyatt to George Hamilton at the Vanity Fair Oscar night party, March 3
“I don’t know I believe that any designer in the long term can have an enormously successful business of their own and at the same time work for another company. At some point, you have to make a decision because, otherwise, you’re competing with yourself. And it’s tough to compete with yourself.” — Michael Kors, on his departure from Celine, March 4
“Money had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was about control….I love fashion. I mean, fashion has been very good to me and I can’t put fashion down and I love what I do, so who knows? A few months of distance and maybe I’ll feel very different. I really, really, truly do not know. All I know is that I need to get to my ranch in New Mexico and spend three or four months riding my horses and just being alone….I’m a commercial fashion designer. I never pretended to be anything other than that.” — Tom Ford, on his departure from Gucci, March 5
“My main fashion strategy, my whole life, has been comfort.” — First Lady Laura Bush, March 16
“I went out with the four actors who play the drag queens in the movie, and they went through my purse and I had my vitamins in a Baggie. They said, ‘Honey, get with the program.’ So I went and bought a little Prada zipper bag to put my vitamins in. You know, the humiliating experience of four fantastic actors going through my bag really raises the bar.” — Nia Vardalos, April 8
“I was so focused every day [in high school] about being a young director, but I think I should have spent more time living. I wish I’d been the dumb jock — it’s a much easier life.” — Luke Greenfield, April 12
“I love red — red is not a Republican issue. Listen, I’d be happy to have Ronald Reagan back at this point. By comparison, he and Nancy weren’t that bad. She liked clothes.” — Charles Nolan, May 4
“I’m only just now getting used to being called king, but if someone wants to call me emperor, that’s just fine by me.” — Giorgio Armani, May 10
“I’ve always said that the couture would die with Yves Saint Laurent. Now it’s a domino effect. The couture has lost its raison d’être. Couture isn’t art. It’s not meant to be hung in a closet like a painting. The women who wore couture no longer exist, the art de vivre that spawned couture has died. If houses such as Chanel and Dior one day get proof that they can sell as many bags and fragrances without a couture show, they’ll stop couture, too.”
— Pierre Bergé, upon learning that Emanuel Ungaro would leave couture, May 13

“I really deserve a little criticism in this area. We traditionally had not been in favor of malls.” — Richard Hayne, chairman of Urban Outfitters, May 13
“That’s the greatest thing about being a designer — you’re always thinking what’s next. I really am the Energizer Bunny and I have the attention span of a flea. To have new projects regenerates me and excites me.” — Michael Kors, June 1
“I think it’s time for women to look pretty again. They have forgotten how to look pretty and not so sloppy. I’ve seen enough belly to last a lifetime — and butt crack. You see these women getting into their SUVs, and that can be quite a climb. You just see their whole rear ends come out. I’ve almost had a couple of accidents. It’s time to change. You can’t go any lower.” — Bob Mackie, June 15
“These days, don’t you have a 7 Series BMW and a Range Rover? Don’t you have something from the Barefoot Contessa along with pizza? You don’t contain yourself to just expensive or inexpensive products. Those who can afford expensive clothes need to make it interesting now. When you see someone wearing only expensive clothes straight from a runway, it just doesn’t look good. They need to mess it up a little bit and make it real.” — Isaac Mizrahi, June 16
“When people get drunk, they behave strangely. And if you’re not the drunk one, you feel kind of out of it.” — Joan Vass, on the Mary McFadden museum bus trip to Allentown, Pa., June 22
“It is not necessary to make something entirely by hand. Just because something is made by hand doesn’t make it beautiful. You can make something ugly entirely by hand.”
— Jean Paul Gaultier, on the evolving couture, July 6
“I’m interested in doing a Paris Hilton [lingerie] line. After all, we do a lot of work with Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart, and Hilton hangs out in Arkansas in her TV show. They must have something in common.” — Richard Leeds, July 12
“You cannot do something just for the money. You have to do things you believe in and eventually you will make money. It’s difficult to do things just to sell. [The store] is a correspondence, a contact with people.” — Miuccia Prada, on the Beverly Hills Prada store, July 14
“China is making vast inroads while still under quota in numerous categories. This is a harbinger of extremely difficult times to come.” — Auggie Tantillo, American Manufacturing Trade Action Coalition, July 14
“I see enormously fat people walking around in restaurants — and not cheap restaurants — in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with big stomachs sticking out. We’re in a time where people don’t have much self-esteem, because how could they go out looking like that?” — Arnold Scaasi, on his book, “Women I Have Dressed (And Undressed),” Aug. 17
“It’s my challenge to create an environment where our most capable people can grow. If I don’t grow them, then I deserve to lose them.” — Paul Charron, Aug. 26
“I stole this jacket from a friend in Paris a long time ago. It was a friend who started his life as an Antonio, but now is an Antonia. She doesn’t need it anymore.”
— Keith Richards, at Stephen Burrows’ show, Sept. 13
“I believe lace has a huge future.” — Hervé Protais, Solstis Lace, Sept. 14
“Looking back, we were fairly fortunate in missing that deal.” — Bernard Arnault, on the Gucci acquisition lost to PPR, Sept. 16
“We don’t want a short-term success that next year goes down like a soufflé.” — Michael Burke, Fendi ceo, Sept. 29
“Being an actor is great if you’re Tom Cruise, but there are so many people who’ve got families and no way of supporting them because there’s no work. I know it’s not a career. It’s always waiting for someone else to say you’ve got the part.” — Thomas Sturridge, Oct. 14
“This is the 12th award I’ve received in two years. You kind of have a feeling…you’d better give this guy an award quickly.” — Oleg Cassini, at age 91, Oct. 15
“We weren’t going to give it away.” — Levi’s chief Phil Marineau, on the decision to keep Dockers, Oct. 19
“If Wal-Mart sells Laura Mercier and we sell Laura Mercier, I give a damn.”— Limited ceo Leslie Wexner, Oct. 21
“When Diana died, it was a major moment in terms of English culture and photography. Diana had sold a construction of herself: a beautiful clotheshorse, a blonde icon, and I realized the public was mourning a set of photographs.”
— Photographer Alison Jackson, Oct. 21
“Tom [Ford] loves me, loves my art. One time at Christmas, he sent me black python boots. To this day, I still can’t walk in them, but I’ve always wanted to have sex in them.”
— Artist Tracey Moffat, Oct. 22
“You look at your life and you look at what you’re doing. I mean, I really appreciate the fact that people tell me that my clothes have served as markers in their own life in some way. But making clothes is not the same as doing something to make someone feel good.” — Norma Kamali, Nov. 5
“This was supposed to last two weeks and it’s over in 25 minutes. I’m sorry for the clients because I like the idea that everyone could wear Lagerfeld. Some people bought 20 or 30 pieces in 30 seconds. Funny, no?”
— Karl Lagerfeld, on the debut of the line he created for H&M, Nov. 16
“Your ability to sing is converse to your ability to design.” — Gilbert Harrison, Financo Inc., considering current pop stars who might become the next celebrity designer, Nov. 17
“We couldn’t take responsibility for the nuclear problem. But we believe one human right is to have stores full of good merchandise. So we choose that direction.”
— Russian entrepreneur Mikhail Kousnirovich, Nov. 17

Nice quotes! Sad none of them are from models though

“I just want to sit and watch TV for a week. I have no idea what’s going on in the world. I heard something about a naked Janet Jackson.” — Designer Lazaro Hernandez after his Proenza Schouler show, Feb. 17

I loved this one.... :P

“I see enormously fat people walking around in restaurants — and not cheap restaurants — in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with big stomachs sticking out. We’re in a time where people don’t have much self-esteem, because how could they go out looking like that?” — Arnold Scaasi, on his book, “Women I Have Dressed (And Undressed),” Aug. 17

SUCH an insightful quote.

thanks for posting this, very entertaining! I especially loved the Oleg Cassini quote... such truth!!

“You cannot do something just for the money. You have to do things you believe in and eventually you will make money. It’s difficult to do things just to sell. [The store] is a correspondence, a contact with people.” — Miuccia Prada, on the Beverly Hills Prada store, July 14

:heart: Miuccia is so adorable :heart:

thanks for the topic softie :flower:

“I don’t wear striped bathing suits because the way the stripe flashes in the water might lure sharks, and you don’t want to get eaten. I don’t wear black in the water, either, because I wouldn’t want a killer whale or a 1,000-pound leopard seal to mistake me for a penguin or a seal and have me for lunch.” — Swimmer Lynne Cox, Jan. 20
“So I think the life of a fashion designer is actually much shorter, because we measure them in seasons. Someone says, ‘How old are you?’ and I say, ‘Forty-two collections.’” — Roberto Cavalli, Feb. 7

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

glad to see you're enjoying this... :clap:

like that one - and the topic, of course! thanks :flower:

Originally posted by oanadobre@Dec 9 2004, 05:49 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
[snapback]458168[/snapback]​
:lol: adorable quote , so true :lol:

I love these quotes ! :lol: Thanks for posting softie..

Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 7 2004, 05:18 AM
Tuesday December 7, 2004

“This was supposed to last two weeks and it’s over in 25 minutes. I’m sorry for the clients because I like the idea that everyone could wear Lagerfeld. Some people bought 20 or 30 pieces in 30 seconds. Funny, no?”
— Karl Lagerfeld, on the debut of the line he created for H&M, Nov. 16

[snapback]454618[/snapback]​

hmmmm.. is lagerfeld have a large ego or is he just making jokes? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->