Town & Country September 2020 : Kerry Washington by AB+DM

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Aug 5, 2020.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

2. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Well-Known Member

A beautiful woman photoshopped to death. And what a sloppy job with airbrush - her 'do looks like a bush growing out of that tree! The matchy-matchy masthead and the out-of-touch headlines (seriously, who writes those?) only add to the tragedy.

3. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

Kerry is so beautiful and I actually like the styling (her dress is by Cushnie, a young Black American designer) but something about the airbrushing and/or makeup has her looking not her best. Not terrible, but a wasted opportunity. I see it was shot by Black photographers, too. It’ll be quite a challenge for T&C to be woke while maintaining their brand - glorification of conspicuous consumption.

4. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

She needs to be on Vogue...maybe someday in several decades it will finally happen?

This cover is atrocious though. So bad, I don't know where to start.

5. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

eautiful covers but the retouching and the way her hair was styled look really bad. If only it had been retouched the right way and her Fro styled better because her natural hair is amazing they had so many options!

6. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

So happy for Cushnie, but this cover did a terrible job of showing what seems to be a really stunning dress. Why shoot if from that angle? I can hardly see the architecture.
    Then there's the makeup, and the hair which looks like it was photoshopped onto her head. It could just have been done better overall.

Why is it so hard to do a flawless Kerry Washington cover when all the elements are there or can be achieved through skill and technology?

8. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

I read on Kerry’s Instagram that this was a social-distancing shoot, she did the hair and makeup herself, with guidance from professionals via FaceTime. The clothes were sent to Kerry and then she put it together herself. The results are far from sensational but the context makes that more understandable. Some of the editorial photos look much better, imo. I’ll take it anyway over some lazy snapshots of a Hadid by a Hadid or photos taken via Zoom.

9. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

It feels like you either need to be a superstar or an Oscar winner/nominee to be a black cover star. Impossibly high standards. She, Regina King, Zoe Saldana, Michaela Coel and Thandie Newton are due covers, I think. Awkwafina, too.

As for the cover, I don't think the photoshop is any worse than what other magazines are doing. I don't hate it?

dodencebt likes this.
  10. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

She is a beauty but I don’t like the cover! Insane photoshop!

She should have been on Vogue during the Django Unchained/ first 2 seasons of Scandal era.

If she has a major role or get a major contract (beauty or fashion), it might happen in the future. She needs a major thing happening around her I think to get that Vogue cover.

TaylorBinque likes this.
  11. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

Kerry's gorgeous but the photoshop is indeed a bit too harsh here, that's what I noticed instantly.

12. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

A gorgeous cover - love the use of the lilac Cushnie dress against the greenery and how it complements Kerry's skin tone. I applaud the choice of the matching fonts too. For me, this is a fail-safe cover image (the classic American Vogue type) which I find hard to criticize.

I would never have guessed this was photographed via Zoom due to the fact it's so flawless (or over-airbrushed) in terms of quality (unlike say the cover of Vanity Fair with Janelle Monáe). Kudos, AB+DM!

13. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

Any thought that some of the women mentioned don't want to do Vogue.
    Maybe they have the same level of regard for Anna that I do, :ninja:, lol.
    This cover would be spot on if she had her natural curls.
    The wig throws it all for me. It doesn't look natural. Hate to say it reminds me of one of those cheap Halloween costume wigs.
    Maybe if they had a proper hair stylist to do the work the results would have been better.

14. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for octoberchild to come out of the woodworks and say something about Kerry being in this and not US Vogue

Just kidding lol. I do wish for Kerry to snatch that one soon because she is gorgeous and a very accomplished actress.

15. phungnam96

phungnam96 Well-Known Member

Stunning cover, something I have missed to see for a long time

vogue28 likes this.
  16. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

That would be surprising. They don't have to like Anna Wintour but that they're not stupid - they know that a Vogue cover would do wonders for their career.

Also most of these women have attended the MET Gala. If they didn't like her, they wouldn't have attended considering she organises the event.

And I forgot Viola Davis deserves one - especially after the Vanity Fair.

17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

US Town& Country September 2020

[​IMG]

Can You Handle the Truth

Photographer: AB + DM
    Stylist: Law Roach
    Hair: Takisha Sturdivant
    Makeup: Carola Gonzalez
    Cast: Kerry Washington

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]