Traditional & Historical Ethnic Dress

malin_08 are you still there ?

I went to the website, but it's hard to navigate
Not in English -_-
I can't find more photos

Turkish Tekke young girl's coat (chyrpe) of black silk, 1930s, lined in paisley printed and floral cotton, embroidered in burgundy, yellow and black with guls and stylised flowerheads.

2003_1.jpg
2003_2.jpg

kerrytaylorauctions.com

Fulani are a nomadic peoples who have been influential in regional politics, economics, and histories throughout western Africa for over a thousand years. They played a significant role in the rise and fall of the Mossi states in Burkina and also contributed to the migratory movements of people southward through Niger and Nigeria into Cameroon. They were also responsible for introducing and spreading Islam throughout much of western Africa. The height of the Fulani empire was between the early 1800s and early 1900s. This power was consolidated under Usman dan Fodio and was centered in northern Nigeria. Dan Fodio was a devout Muslim who used religious fervor to ignite his troops to undertake a series of holy wars. Following the early success of Islamic warriors, non-Islamic Fulani joined ranks with their fellows to form an extensive and powerful empire.

Fulani people, Wodaabe people, c. 1950's, cotton embroidered with silk and cotton.

F090A722-7EF7-472B-8CC7-01E8704EDBD.jpg

uiowa.edu . imamuseum.org

The Iraqw are an ethnic and linguistic group based in the Mbulu District of Arusha Region in north-central Tanzania, above the Rift Valley wall and south of Ngorongoro Crater.

Iraqw people, c. 1940-1980, leather, glass and brass beads, metal bells.

1A959382-5C8B-41A0-8303-112A5B2620D.jpg

wikipedia.org . imamuseum.org

Just would like to mention something I learned in my textiles history class about the raffia cut pile fabrics in the previous posts ^ ^_^

I read the Kuba people in the Congo and Zaire area make cloth exclusively out of raffia, and only the men weave and farm it but only the women will weave the "pile" kind of fabric which is also known as "kasai velvets"-- because the raffia rises out of the surface... think bath towels and rugs :heart:
There is a shop here called Maiwa with their own independent library upstairs, and you can even see these cloths in person.. the raffia threads are so dense, and it feels so surprisingly soft :smile: Recently I made a rug out of raffia too, buying the raffia just from Loomis an art store here, and it's really just like straw... so coarse ^_^

Yinka Shonibare

This guy is amazing his name is Yinka Shonibare

dscn0522.JPG

yinka-shonibare-criminal.jpg

012.jpg

shonibare-1b.jpg

sources | roslynoxley9.com.au, yinka-shonibare.co.uk, maricazottino, artthrob.co.za

Last edited by a moderator:
SHSH ^why do you consider this ethnic fashion..?
could you tell us more info about him ^_^

SHSH ^why do you consider this ethnic fashion..?
could you tell us more info about him ^_^

mmkay, basically i studied him for my Art & Design finals called Above and below basically about hierarchy , he is actually a former CSM central saint martins student. I guess its truly an ethnic fashion in the sense that he is combining african batik in a european construct i.e. the shape of the corsets and dresses etcetera, he calls himself "bicultural" of nigeria and europe which in a sense can be seen in his clothes, he is showing how culture and ethnic fashion really is as he says an artificial construct.

For me its really interesting as it raises the question in a sense what if it was the other way round, if africa was a colonial power as apposed to europe, so even in fashion and art his work really represents a powerful metaphor.

"But actually, the fabrics are not really authentically African the way people think," says Shonibare."(the clothes) They prove to have a crossbred cultural background quite of their own. And it’s the fallacy of that signification that I like. It’s the way I view culture—it’s an artificial construct." ^_^

quote from wikipedia

He is a trained tailor but this ethnic fashion really is art!

oh i see
i was thinking i'd never seen those kinds of patterns, prints before in african textiles, nor the colours.. i'm guessing what he means in the quote is, that maybe just the general idea of how african ethnic fashion is viewed is what he's putting in the clothing he makes-- like they are still very bright and bold and remind you of african textiles esp when seen on 20th century-prior western clothing, which is usually a bit drab or serious
it does make me think of a foreigner living in a western land

some of my favourites...these inspire me so much...

from UN photographer john isaac

dqq0yh.jpg
2s9pops.jpg

zivsjt.jpg

some more from john isaac..:heart:

senegal and india
senegalwindow.jpg
indiadancer.jpg

rajasthan and india
rajasthan.jpg
wheatchaff.jpg

british columbia and kenya

bellabella.jpg
masai.jpg

Panama Kunas with molas

i took these when i got the chance to go on a trip to Panama. i was obsessed with their ankle-wraps-stockings!:wub: but i tried the wrist-wrap and it's not the most comfortable thing!:doh:
they wear the MOLAS on their stomacks.

Attachments

• panama 111.jpg
    panama 111.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 2
  • panama 117.jpg
    panama 117.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 3
  • panama 118.jpg
    panama 118.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 5
  • panama 121.jpg
    panama 121.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 7
those are pretty neato , lucille ^
there are parts where the skin is exposed.. i guess there is something holding all the pieces together
did you buy any when you were there?
it reminds me of some of the long arm bracelets at Dries van Noten this season

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"