Trends You Are Sick Of #4

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Thread Manager, Sep 25, 2014.

1. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Nothing makes sense until you realize that PC Culture and Corporate Culture are players on the same team, working to the same ends.

YohjiAddict and Phuel like this.
  2. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

^ absolutely!

3. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I am sorry that nature gave me a way to stay skinny, or whatever, lol.
    I never said I eat a grape a day, I eat enough not to be hungry and work out 3x a week to stay where I am. This is what is healthy. Some people have fast metabolism, within the norm, and skinny is not always anorexic.
    However, obesity and overweight have never been healthy. As said above - big can be, but not fat.

If any culture has no standards for self-regulation and self-improvement - I’d be gladly banished from that culture.

4. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

it’s not nature, just your very healthy choices. Nature and good genetics is being able to eat whatever you want knowing you’ll never look like a grape.

I agree btw, self regulation!

Phuel and dontbeadrag like this.
  5. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Absolutely cannot deny genetics nor your opinion of it since that’s your area of expertise, Mullet: Some are simply predisposed to a certain body mass that has the unfortunate DNA makeup that leads to obesity. Going back to just 30-40 years ago, people were overweight beyond just “chubby"— but not to such morbid-obesity as is sadly becoming more and more common nowadays. People have got to take some responsibility/accountability for their own choices, even if their genes won’t give them the metabolism of an Olympian. (And if for whatever reason, some enjoy being overweight— then fine, your life to live. Just don’t make these snide remarks like “Who’s that made for?” like there aren’t any thin people whom could wear it-- and wear its well.)

I remember reading that Greg Louganis said that some nights he would wake up with hunger pains when he’d be training for the games. And knowing his Samoan heritage and the people’s propensity to rapid weight gain (due to genetics), he’d resist those hunger pains. Life isn’t fair and the majority of people exercise some extent of discipline and will-power to their vices, even if their genetics may be fighting against them.

I had a BF who would eat an entire 12” cake/2litres of ice cream/dozen donuts etc whenever he got rejected from a casting. Then he’s stop feeling sorry for himself the next day and train nonstop for the next week and work all those calories off and not touch them again— until his next casting call rejection LOL… People that make it a life choice to gorge on that cake/ice cream/donut on a regular basis— and not even move— but just solely blame it on genetics/economics/mentality are pathetic. Many people have their personal demons/handicaps that they struggle through every moment of their lives, and they still fight on. This lazy culture of blaming their vices on everybody else and everything else, including genetics, is what Western society has devolved so quickly into in just the last decade, it’s frankly frightening.

6. AnaD

AnaD Active Member

As someone who has been on both sides of the weight spectrum thanks to hormone issues I can say that I definitely feel better when I'm on the lighter side of the scale. Not at all my lowest weight, I felt awful then, but light enough to enjoy running, jumping, heels, etc. When I was heavier everything hurt, my skin was terrible and my hair was falling out. And I wasn't morbidly obese, just 'too big' for me. No one should be aiming to be sickly at any weight, they should be trying to be their best healthy self. Whatever that looks like.

7. flowergardens

flowergardens New Member

E girl fashion

8. susseinmcswanny

susseinmcswanny Well-Known Member

Cow print pants and shorts. Peak lobotomy behavior and they all will regret it in probably less than a year

9. AnaD

AnaD Active Member

You're probably going to hate this, but my cousin made me a pink and white cow print car coat for my birthday last year. It has silver star buttons. I love it. It's so fab!

10. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

The majority of them.

Seeing people chase trends, spend their money on the latest Bottega or the latest Bottega knock off, for it to become obsolete in 1-2 seasons. What I hate the most is that brands promote it via clothes being too advertised and branded (logo, pattern, brand-specific weave and etc.), people buy into it often, then (very often) judge each other by this IRL or on Instagram (you either must expose that Prada logo or have to get those easily identifiable Balenciaga sneakers, otherwise you are branded as fashion-unconscious or poor, like something is wrong with the fact that not everybody can afford everything). Then a lot of such people resell or don't know what to do with those things, because god forbid you wear things from past seasons. Balenciaga runner sock trainers? Lot of people I know have them dusting on their shelves as they accept how embarrassing would be to wear them outside.

People with the best taste I know prefer quiet clothes that don't scream anything, except when they REALLY have their own specific style (one girl is CDG/Rei Kawakubo wearer only, she sticks to that). Being lucky to be born in a well-off family, my mother, a businesswoman, also never buys logo/monogram things, maybe except a tiny Dior pin brooch that has a logo on it. I just learnt that she doesn't need to prove anything to anybody and never gave a damn about a single trend.

All of this comes from my meeting with a friend yesterday, with whom we discussed this, as he works at TSUM and says that people often get the "hottest" things and anything with a logo or Bottega weave sells like hotcakes. We've overheard a conversation next to us, where people were discussing this and judging a woman who walked in with a Jacquemus bag from a couple of seasons ago, and I was appalled.

Phuel and YohjiAddict like this.
  11. upNorth

upNorth Member

[​IMG]
    gifs, originally from doja cat on youtube

12. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Frankly, thank goodness the fashion victimz are in the vast majority (otherwise there wouldn’t be an industry). And thanks to them, I’ll always be reminded what to avoid like THOT.

AnaD, dontbeadrag and MissMagAddict like this.
  13. TNF

TNF Member

Tucking in your shirt/top/etc in your trousers. I avoid it; I think it's ugly. But it's extremely dominant, and because of that you look immediately out of fashion if you don't join the crowd.

14. thestylisha

thestylisha New Member

Trying to blend in is a trend I will never understand. It's especially common among the youth today with buying the same garments influencers showcase in their weekly TikTok hauls. The lack of individuality and creative thought is unsettling.

What's worse is the un-sustainability of it all. With 60 second videos, fast internet has become even faster, and as a consequence, so has fast fashion.

Fast fashion, for most, is the only affordable way to express ourselves, but with the growing desire to buy what everyone else on the internet has, this is hardly the case anymore.

15. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ I’m trying my hardest to be sympathetic… And to to be fair to this generation, because it must be so hard to be an individual in an era where there is such a blatant display of intellectual dishonesty/hypocrisy/socio-political bias: All I see is such a hugely wasteful hustling off of useless, overpriced rags by evermore greedy corporations using race/gender/environment gimmicks to entice (…or guilt) impressionable customers to buying more and more. The industry’s template has become the dreaded slash-and-burn MO of the 1980s: Hyped investment in whomever is fire of the moment. Optimize profit from the least creative effort and risk— then dispose anyone when they’re no longer hot. The days of investing in nurturing and cultivating a talented label is dead. That’s the attitude kidz are being taught by this industry. It’s ruthless.

Add to that, all trends/fads/cliques are so easily accessible via SM without any effort other than to create an account on any of these platforms, I can understand why this generation’s attention span doesn’t even last 15 minutes. To be young and to be an individual is a rarity these days when they’re so mercilessly bombarded by SM celebs all backed by corporate motives— which is such an essential part of their lives and harder to just turn off than suggested. Kidz don’t even think for themselves— let alone be bother with the effort to strike out and think critically, creatively, and research about fashion. Everything is thought out for them, and every style is prepackaged for easy consumption. I don’t know if I would be able to resist such laziness if I were in school… Then again, I don’t think I’d even be interested in this era’s fashion if I were in school LOL

entten, AnaD and dontbeadrag like this.
  16. thestylisha

thestylisha New Member

What you said about social media making unoriginal fast fashion prepackaged for easy consumption is spot on- that definitely is the case today. And I must admit,I sometimes fall victim to unnecessary, impromptu shopping sprees after being fed hauls from Tiktok consisting of largely affordable, cute, and safe fashion pieces. Sometimes without even thinking if these garments really resonate with my personality and core values. However, I strongly disagree with the notion that this is due to how impressionable we have become.

In most if not in all eras of human history on Earth have there blatant displays of intellectual dishonesty, hypocrisy, and/or sociopolitical bias been evident. So it’s hard to say that’s a defining problem of this generation. I do agree that fashion is no longer a mark of originality, or self expression, or even of culture anymore- it is a business and optimising profit from the least creative effort and risk has definitely become a priority. But even still, problems remain. And most of them stem from fast internet and media.

Today, it is so easy for us to log on to Instagram and be bombarded with ideas prepackaged parcels of what we should be wearing and who is wearing it, and for us to be susceptible to these ideas. The speed of fast internet means that we often have little to no time to think for ourselves if we really like something, or whether we should be wearing it because it’s hot right now. As a result, fashion monetises of this constant clicks and revenue and thats sad. Instead of fashion being a form of expressionism, it’s a business. And I think a lot of what fashion has become can be attributed to fast internet.

AnaD likes this.