Tucker by Gaby Basora for Target

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Gaby Basora will launch her exclusive collection, Tucker by Gaby Basora, available at most Target stores nationwide and online at target.com. The women’s fashion collection will launch on September 12, 2010 through October 17, 2010.

info from wwd

just read about this on refinery29.com
tucker-target-go-international.jpg

For most of you, Zac Posen for Target hasn't even hit stores yet (though for New Yorkers, the line drops tonight at the Zac Posen Shopping Party), and Target has already announced the next designer in their Go International series: Tucker by Gaby Basora. Tucker is known for its quaint prints in bold colors, which are inspired by everything from National Geographic covers to candy wrappers. It's a no-brainer that Gaby's simply cut dresses, trousers, and tops will translate smoothly into Target's mass lingo, and we can't wait to show you lookbook images when they come in!

Image at left from Tucker's spring 2010 collection.

i've never heard of this designer before... which makes me glad that they're getting some exposure through this target collab

i have no idea who she is either. feels a bit luella bartley meets peter jensen though. could be a success.

Tucker has some pretty things. I'm really excited about this collaboration but the actual line is so pricey for what it is- simple cuts.

The last few GO collections have been so print heavy. I really wish the next one would be more subdued. I'm tired of so many garish prints right now.

i only know of this brand from seeing them while browsing shopbop. its not my thing but i think their aesthetic will work well with target as its a very young look.

on second thought i think i've seen and liked some tucker stuff before...
on shopbop and on piperlime if i'm remembering correctly...

i think it will be an interesting collaboration
most likely won't draw the masses like rodarte or proenza schouler but i'm curious to check it out nonetheless

i own a couple of Tucker pieces and the quality is great. stretchy silks in great fun prints and convenient loose cuts perfect for summer!

Same here leyla. It sold very well at the boutique I used to work at. The quality was very good. I am happy to see her at Target as it will get her name out there...I feel like not many know who she is.

I'm actually really excited for this. It's probably going to be very wearable.

excerpt from an interview from forbes (forbes.com)

Tucker has a great status as an indie brand. When you agreed to the Go International collaboration, did you worry that a Target collaboration might somehow devalue that?
No. I think that there's a certain high-low combination with the Go International collection. You have a very fashion-forward group of people stalking and trailing these designer collaborations. I say 'stalking' because sometimes it's all sold out in days. So I think Target actually bridges that very well.
It's like a white T-shirt. Even though you look at the prints [in the collection] and go, 'Well it's far from a white T-shirt because it's still sometimes very brightly patterned, very distinct looking.' But at the same time there are things about it that make the clothes malleable. You're going to wear them if you are someone who is shopping at Bergdorf's and you have designer collections in your closet and you're matching it with a piece from the Tucker collection. You will look different than somebody wearing them with a pair of jean shorts.
I emphasized that there should not be a piece in this collection that I am not going to covet myself.

So the collaboration is simply part of the whole high-low phenomenon.
We all shop high and low. Someone with a high street collection has to do a great job of translating trendy things. And [stores like Zara, H&M, Target] let women buy into a trend. It's not a big commitment, and they can play around with it.

Part of that high-low attitude is the idea of disposability. What are your feelings about use-it-and-lose-it when it comes to clothing?
l like the idea of nostalgia and permanence. I don't like thinking of clothing or necessarily anything being disposable. I have a stool of my grandma's that I grew up seeing when I would visit her. Now it's in my kitchen. But there's a lot of great value out there. For most women it's the combination of high and low that is interesting. In an age with Topshop and Zara, you can test the waters a little bit.

i saw pictures of two dresses - one is a navajo inspired dress, the other dress looked to be a pansy print. i wasnt impressed with either of the cuts, they looked a bit shapeless.

The Herringbone Jacket ($44.99) Fleece Jumpsuit ($44.99) and the Signature Dress ($39.99) with the Reversible Quilted Vest ($24.99)

source: sarahparlow

Attachments

• tucker2.jpg
    tucker2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 5
  • tucker3.jpg
    tucker3.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 6
^^^I really like that dress! I hope I remember to go to target this time. I always go when everything is sold out!

I saw a few pieces in Elle or Glamour magazine the other day and they didn't look too bad. I'm excited to see what else there is, I hope the quality is good. I hope it's not polyester!

ad in elle source : twitpic by fashntrendguide

Attachments

• tuckertwit1.jpg
    tuckertwit1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 7
Some pretty stuff! I'd buy, but I'm so broke right now...D; Someone gimme a 2nd job!

nytimes
these particular pieces look underwhelming

Attachments

• tuckerny.jpg
    tuckerny.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx