Tucker by Gaby Basora for Target

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by lucy92, Apr 15, 2010.

1. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

Gaby Basora will launch her exclusive collection, Tucker by Gaby Basora, available at most Target stores nationwide and online at target.com. The women’s fashion collection will launch on September 12, 2010 through October 17, 2010.

info from wwd

2. ChrissyM

ChrissyM girl who fell to earth

just read about this on refinery29.com
    i've never heard of this designer before... which makes me glad that they're getting some exposure through this target collab

3. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

i have no idea who she is either. feels a bit luella bartley meets peter jensen though. could be a success.

4. wroxton

wroxton Member

Tucker has some pretty things. I'm really excited about this collaboration but the actual line is so pricey for what it is- simple cuts.

5. loladonna

loladonna New Member

The last few GO collections have been so print heavy. I really wish the next one would be more subdued. I'm tired of so many garish prints right now.

6. masquerade

masquerade God Save McQueen

i only know of this brand from seeing them while browsing shopbop. its not my thing but i think their aesthetic will work well with target as its a very young look.

7. ChrissyM

ChrissyM girl who fell to earth

on second thought i think i've seen and liked some tucker stuff before...
    on shopbop and on piperlime if i'm remembering correctly...

i think it will be an interesting collaboration
    most likely won't draw the masses like rodarte or proenza schouler but i'm curious to check it out nonetheless

8. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

i own a couple of Tucker pieces and the quality is great. stretchy silks in great fun prints and convenient loose cuts perfect for summer!

9. iLoveCouture

iLoveCouture catch me if you can

Same here leyla. It sold very well at the boutique I used to work at. The quality was very good. I am happy to see her at Target as it will get her name out there...I feel like not many know who she is.

10. PonyShow

PonyShow New Member

I'm actually really excited for this. It's probably going to be very wearable.

11. lucy92

excerpt from an interview from forbes (forbes.com)

Tucker has a great status as an indie brand. When you agreed to the Go International collaboration, did you worry that a Target collaboration might somehow devalue that?
    No. I think that there's a certain high-low combination with the Go International collection. You have a very fashion-forward group of people stalking and trailing these designer collaborations. I say 'stalking' because sometimes it's all sold out in days. So I think Target actually bridges that very well.
    It's like a white T-shirt. Even though you look at the prints [in the collection] and go, 'Well it's far from a white T-shirt because it's still sometimes very brightly patterned, very distinct looking.' But at the same time there are things about it that make the clothes malleable. You're going to wear them if you are someone who is shopping at Bergdorf's and you have designer collections in your closet and you're matching it with a piece from the Tucker collection. You will look different than somebody wearing them with a pair of jean shorts.
    I emphasized that there should not be a piece in this collection that I am not going to covet myself.

So the collaboration is simply part of the whole high-low phenomenon.
    We all shop high and low. Someone with a high street collection has to do a great job of translating trendy things. And [stores like Zara, H&M, Target] let women buy into a trend. It's not a big commitment, and they can play around with it.

Part of that high-low attitude is the idea of disposability. What are your feelings about use-it-and-lose-it when it comes to clothing?
    l like the idea of nostalgia and permanence. I don't like thinking of clothing or necessarily anything being disposable. I have a stool of my grandma's that I grew up seeing when I would visit her. Now it's in my kitchen. But there's a lot of great value out there. For most women it's the combination of high and low that is interesting. In an age with Topshop and Zara, you can test the waters a little bit.

12. lucy92

i saw pictures of two dresses - one is a navajo inspired dress, the other dress looked to be a pansy print. i wasnt impressed with either of the cuts, they looked a bit shapeless.

13. lucy92

The Herringbone Jacket ($44.99) Fleece Jumpsuit ($44.99) and the Signature Dress ($39.99) with the Reversible Quilted Vest ($24.99)
    [​IMG]
    source: sarahparlow

Attached Files:

14. Red Sole

Red Sole New Member

^^^I really like that dress! I hope I remember to go to target this time. I always go when everything is sold out!

15. couturecouture

couturecouture New Member

I saw a few pieces in Elle or Glamour magazine the other day and they didn't look too bad. I'm excited to see what else there is, I hope the quality is good. I hope it's not polyester!

16. lucy92

17. lucy92

ad in elle source : twitpic by fashntrendguide

Attached Files:

18. simple_elegance

simple_elegance Active Member

Some pretty stuff! I'd buy, but I'm so broke right now...D; Someone gimme a 2nd job!

19. iLoveCouture

iLoveCouture catch me if you can

gilt.com

Attached Files:

20. lucy92

nytimes
    these particular pieces look underwhelming

Attached Files: