Typography in fashion .. graphic prints featuring writing, words, etc.

I won't post the dress as this is one I made, but the fabric belongs here.
VIM3P.jpg

Karen Mulder and Claudia Schiffer modeling Chanel couture evening gowns
embroidered with Arabic calligraphy by Lesage, from the house’s Spring 1993 collection
Alaiacaligraphy7.jpg

bellydancevogue

Naomi Campbell modeling two iconic bodysuits from Alaïa’s Fall 1990 collection. Embroidered with Arabic calligraphy in the Kufi script, the bodysuits became a uniform amongst several top models during that particular Paris season.
Alaiacaligraphyblog3.jpg

the-polyglot

^
a closer look at the knit bodysuit from Alaïa’s Fall 1990 collection.
Alaiacaligraphy1.jpg

the-polyglot

Givenchy’s Designer Ricardo Tisci wearing a t-shirt with Arabic lettering. Tisci is frequently influenced by the Middle East in his work. When he first started designing couture for Givenchy his first major clients were from the region; In May of 1995 Paris-based Tunisian designer Azzedine Alaïa created a Middle Eastern inspired hooded cloak as a maternity dress for Farida Khelfa, his close friend and muse. She was photographed in front of a large mural painted in Arabic calligraphy at the Musee National des Arts d’Afrique et d’Oceanie in Paris.
Alaiacaligraphy6.jpg

the-polyglot

Thanks! very insteresting! I love the beautifully calligraphic Arabic alphabet. Can you translate what those Chanel dresses say? They were controversial.

Dior Haute Couture S/S 12

hommemodel.blogspot via hypeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That Dolce & Gabbana's collection looks like a cheap copy of Balenciaga. :P I like those Dior dresses.

Jeremy Scott Fall 2010

jeremy-scott-fall-winter-2010-17.jpg

jeremy-scott-fall-winter-2010-19.jpg

freshnessmag.com - newriccheeffect.net

^ :lol:

Always loved this one from Yohji Yamamoto S/S 2002 :heart:..

nvp6ps.jpg

[stylebistro]

Mostly because it looks so soft and poetic, I remember Tim Blanks asking about that in an interview after the show and Yohji said something like 'when I close my eyes, there is nothing in the world'.. but can't read Japanese or remember the interview and the context to be 100% sure, hopefully runner can translate for us. :innocent::P

^^ much to my surprise, he used Chinese translation of HEART SUTRA on that top. never seen HQ shots of that collection, thanks for bringin it here.

Always loved this one from Yohji Yamamoto S/S 2002 :heart:..

Mostly because it looks so soft and poetic, I remember Tim Blanks asking about that in an interview after the show and Yohji said something like 'when I close my eyes, there is nothing in the world'.. but can't read Japanese or remember the interview and the context to be 100% sure, hopefully runner can translate for us. :innocent::lol:

the core part of it could be "form is void, therefore void is form" .
the text is here if you are interested
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60/fashion-religion-341-5.html#post8958513

although the "void" here takes on a bit special nuance, if it had ever been expressed in western style, it might have been similar to what mallarme called "rien" .

Balenciaga Spring Summer 2006

Balenciaga+Spring+2006+nufopLma6sbl.jpg
Balenciaga+Spring+2006+gDOCCxFEo-El.jpg

Christian Dior Spring Summer 2005

Christian+Dior+Spring+2005+wVPeV8ttMGJl.jpg
Christian+Dior+Spring+2005+9gkU-M7s6L3l.jpg

*Stylebistro.com

Oh I really love that Matthew Miller coat, it seems inspired by the paper cutting art :wink:

Knotoryus 2012

antwerpen-2.jpg

ankeduensing.de

1371452239983293.jpg

imgfave.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acctforstylethings