UK Elle August 2019 : Priyanka Chopra by Marcin Kempski

The styling is too much, even though it's slightly more glamorous than Anne's Marie's Elle. This blanket/cape/coat seems to be wearing her instead of the other way around.
And I don't think the art direction works for this particular image. It's very much like Edward's Vogue (the positioning.)

Not a strong debut cover for Farrah, but I'm sure she'll find her feet soon enough.

I quite like it, although it does look like she's peeking out from behind a shower curtain whilst washing her hair to give a death stare to her husband who's just walked into the bathroom and disturbed her. Except instead of a shower it's a car wash.

The cover is bright and fun; the pink pops really nicely and Priyanka is as beautiful as always. I'm glad Vogue and Elle have used these bright, neon colours this month. Sometimes magazines get ahead of themselves and look too autumnal, or just neutral, for August issues - but warm(er) weather has only just arrived here in the UK so it's nice that there's a hint of Summer, even if it's only in the brightly coloured typeface.

This just makes me kinda mad, I recently heard a "Fashion" editor say Priyanka has the worst "neck situation" in the biz, and as long as you can take care of that problem, she can be used as the cover girl.

And now when i see this cover, it's all i can think about! Some pissy Fashion people saying; "Let's cover her neck, at all costs". SMH, what a bad cover!

This just makes me kinda mad, I recently heard a "Fashion" editor say Priyanka has the worst "neck situation" in the biz, and as long as you can take care of that problem, she can be used as the cover girl.

And now when i see this cover, it's all i can think about! Some pissy Fashion people saying; "Let's cover her neck, at all costs". SMH, what a bad cover!

Never even noticed it until a Google search a few minutes ago. And yes, it suddenly makes this cover seem very suspect.
Odd in a sense that Farrah would cover her up like this because a few months ago she fiercely defended Tess Holliday's Cosmo cover on Good Morning Britain.

That godforsaken Tess Holliday cover won "Cover of the Year" at the recent PPA awards, where Farrah Storr was also awarded "Editor of the Year".

how idiotic.

That godforsaken Tess Holliday cover won "Cover of the Year" at the recent PPA awards, where Farrah Storr was also awarded "Editor of the Year".

Saw on her Instagram. LOL. Someone should let Piers Morgan know and watch him get a coronary attack.

I never noticed anything amiss with Priyanka's neck before, and if all she's got is some wrinkles, surely that's what airbrushing is for?

Down through the years, there have been plenty of actresses with actual scars on their neck, but you'd be hard pushed to remember when you last noticed them on Catherine Zeta Jones or Sharon Stone.

I never noticed anything amiss with Priyanka's neck before, and if all she's got is some wrinkles, surely that's what airbrushing is for?

Down through the years, there have been plenty of actresses with actual scars on their neck, but you'd be hard pushed to remember when you last noticed them on Catherine Zeta Jones or Sharon Stone.

Well, InStyle is another one who took an extreme approach. They wanted the full body cover shot, but clearly not the neck? So they just removed her neck. At the time I thought it was just poor Ps because I was never bothered by the folds on her neck, but it's beginning to look intentional. American Vogue smoothed it out but still kept fant traces of her folds which is surprising since Annie shot that cover. Elle Canada covered her up with some odd bolero piece, and a halter did the job for American Elle.

I bought my issue as part of the Elle-Bazaar-Red multipack... 172 pgs.

There are about 12 pgs of high-end fashion ads and then you're into the generic ones for Lancôme mascara and Tag Heuer watches. Back page is Marc Jacobs Daisy Love fragrance.

The new editor, Farrah Storr, has done an editor's letter talking about how she started working on this issue nine weeks before it appeared, and while the design is still recognisably UK Elle, there are signs of a shift away from the previous regime. Elements on the page seem less dense, and you don't feel like everything's in small print. It feels like... the way Elle used to be.

No doubt the fashion editorials will get posted at some point, but there are also features about Zendaya, Tory Burch and Nicola Milner (CEO of Deciem) as well as the cover story with Priyanka.

Maybe it's as a result of rushed editing and therefore borrowing articles from other editions, but this issue felt more 'international' than UK Elle usually does.

In recent years, I feel like the magazine has tried to reach out and reflect the demographic of urban south England, and while you can argue that's where things happen, it's also not very representative of the UK as a whole. I've seen little that speaks to me in this magazine for years, but now it feels more universal. It's probably a sign that it's also become more generic. A double-edged sword.

Made a point of going into Tesco to check this out because I thought it looked pretty good online, a vast improvement from previous covers. Although, once again (like Porter with Liya Kebede), I couldn’t help but notice how BLURRY the cover shot is on the printed copy, was completely horrified over the quality. It looked especially bad next to the stark and vibrant cover of British Vogue with Karlie Kloss.

Is anyone else’s copy like this? Maybe it’s just a select batch? Dumbfounded as to how it could’ve passed quality control.

The quality of final reproduction seen in print magazines is becoming more and more of a problem.

I originally categorised the poor quality of US Vogue as the natural outcome of people treating export copies as inferior products and seeking to cut costs (yet still charging premium prices). But now I see it happening all over the place, from Vogue Paris to UK Elle, so it's definitely a phenomenon.

Made a point of going into Tesco to check this out because I thought it looked pretty good online, a vast improvement from previous covers. Although, once again (like Porter with Liya Kebede), I couldn’t help but notice how BLURRY the cover shot is on the printed copy, was completely horrified over the quality. It looked especially bad next to the stark and vibrant cover of British Vogue with Karlie Kloss.

Is anyone else’s copy like this? Maybe it’s just a select batch? Dumbfounded as to how it could’ve passed quality control.

The trick is to stick to the multipacks, I've found. In an odd twist, it is actually the multipack issue which seems in better condition than the newsstand one. You'd think they'd lumber the bad copies in a set and keep the good ones on the newsstand, but then I've heard Elle often hand out free copies to anyone who will have it on the tube.
With this specific cover that's not the case (mine also looks like something which had been facsimiled x100), but last month's cover with Dina it was very much visible. The newsstand version looked awful for a luxury product.

I still maintain that if you're looking for top-notch paper quality, Vogue China, Japan, and sometimes Vogue Germany, comes up smiling. The edges hardly ever yellow and the pages statically cling together, which is like an aphrodisiac for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->