UK Elle March 2019 : Michelle Williams by Mariana Maltoni

I don’t like the hand placement and pose but I guess it could have been worse.

There is also this one with Nicolas and what I assume is the subscribers cover.

51183137_2048920722072384_7419552867343381531_n.jpg
instagram.com/elleuk
50984104_166474047657318_2845655904802041485_n.jpg
instagram.com/daisy__murray

The print cover looks weird. It's like she's staring into my soul. :ermm: The 2nd and 3rd covers are better.

The hand... so awkward

Might be unpopular opinion, but these covers are just as dull and uneventful as she is. Another hard pass on yet another issue of British Elle for me!

Might be unpopular opinion, but these covers are just as dull and uneventful as she is. Another hard pass on yet another issue of British Elle for me!

The new British Elle started really strong and with a clear vision. These days, it just feels like its referencing itself. From the fonts, cover stars, down to the vibe.

LOVE the first cover! I quite like the exaggerated hand pose, actually. The shot and art direction is simple, clear and it's just about the first time Louis Vuitton won me over on a cover. It's chic and understated. If I have to nitpick, I'd say that it doesn't look like Michelle is making direct eye contact with the camera.

As for the second one with Nicolas, all I have to ask is why?? This new star designer system is nauseating. And his fame-wh*ring has reached epic proportions.

She's quite possibly the most dull white actress in Hollywood, and that's saying something.
She brings nothing to fashion or photography, and I will never understand her appeal.
Having said that, I think she's a decent actress.

She's quite possibly the most dull white actress in Hollywood, and that's saying something.
She brings nothing to fashion or photography, and I will never understand her appeal.
Having said that, I think she's a decent actress.

It's the system, it's not on her. She was never supposed to be in everyone's faces like this. But society has decided that in order for an actress (serious or not) to prosper, she must play the fashion magazine game.

Through the right lens she can look great. Photographers just don't experiment enough with her. All they ever want to do it Rosemary's Baby.

What happened to that font they spent a fortune getting made?

This would work with a gorgeous commerical model like Rosie HW.

Why is her hand in such a bizarre position in the main cover? I don’t mind the image at all but the hand placement is odd.

It has all the right elements, even that hideous paid LV getup looks decent here. But the cutesy hand pose is very questionable. It may work for Elle Fanning, but not her. Her expression even comes off as if she finds the pose ridiculous. Also lol at the ironic “wonky couture” coverline given how wonky her eyes look here.

And wow, who would have thought that Nicolas loved being in the spotlight?....

Last edited:
I got this issue today as part of a multi-pack... the cover, I don't mind it, although it says nothing to me personally, and I don't like the way the pink coverlines get lost against the picture itself. 276 pgs.

In terms of major ads, the inside front cover is a Vuitton gatefold, plus 4 pgs Chanel, 2 pgs Prada, Dolce, Gucci, Dior, Emporio Armani, Saint Laurent, Miu Miu, Bottega Veneta, Fendi (Kaia), Valentino (Adut and Mariacarla), Chloe, Ferragamo, Versace (Irina and Bella), Moschino (Vitt and Bella), MaxMara, Michael Kors, Isabel Marant, 1 pg Alberta Ferretti, Kenzo, Issey Miyake, Vivienne Westwood, the inside back cover is 3 pgs Givenchy, and the actual back cover is Marc Jacobs Daisy (not new). There's a 4 pg Balenciaga ad nestled amid the editorials (their usual trick these days).

Now I have to go back to the start of the issue again, having seen there's no editorial that I really like... "this month we're channelling Little Edie".

The Gathering
5 pg studio-shot accessories edit
Photo: Sam Wilson
Stylist: Chloe Grace Press
Model: Alexandra Moncrieffe (headless)

A Practical Fashion
6 pg studio-shot fashion edit about khaki casuals
P: Sam Wilson
S: Felicity Kay
M: Olamide Ogundele

There's a 16 pg feature about the 'Elle Weekender' where a bunch of celebrities got together in London under the Elle banner to swop platitudes and get their portraits taken for the magazine. Whatever great feminist leap forward this is meant to represent has yet to make its effects known to my life. Names include Diane von Furstenberg, Katharine Hamnett, Halima Aden, Rosamund Pike, Susie Bubble, Molly Goddard and Rosie Huntingdon-Whiteley, who might as well talk about business, because she's probably never getting married, at least not to him. And in printing her name, they've put the hyphen in the wrong place, straight after her forename.

I might save this now...

Turning the page, there's a 4 pg look at the interior decor of Delfina Delettrez Fendi's Parisian apartment, which is a sudden dose of sophistication. Then there's an article about 'the new rules of attraction' which is invariably about polyamory, with a side order of confusion about consent.

A few short pieces later (career advice, and a messy house), we're into the cover story, and it's 15 pgs of simple studio shots, mostly of Michelle, and the interview.

The Wild One
18 pg outdoors fashion edit in sandy Morocco with big red hair
P: Alex Franco
S: Gillian Wilkins
M: Georgia Moot

New Shores
12 pg location edit on a stony beach or amusement arcade
P: Liz Collins
S: Anne-Marie Curtis
M: Lou Schoof

Portrait of a Lady
12 pg location edit against a boring manor house background featuring long skirts, hats and houndstooth
P: Alexander Saladrigas
S: Jenny Kennedy
M: Taja Feistner

Pop Culture
12 pg studio-shot edit featuring bright colours and patterns
P: Daniel Clavero
S: Joanna Schlenzka
M: Yeva Poduran, Bhumika and Ji Hye Park

They definitely saved the best edit until last. Then we're at the back of the issue and into the beauty section, and there's no actual editorial there, only a bunch of backstage images and product shots, which pads out the pages, but this month, there's been no special effort made here.

If you've read this far... normally I write my reviews after I've had a drink, but this one has been done sober, and it feels like it's taken up my entire evening, because it's not an exciting issue. It's a bit of a drag. I can't recommend it. I'll be ripping mine up for clippings. It's... on the same level as Marie Claire this month.

The new British Elle started really strong and with a clear vision. These days, it just feels like its referencing itself. From the fonts, cover stars, down to the vibe.

i think its dying on the newsstand, so they're are going back to basics.

Soft Power

Photographer: Mariana Maltoni
Stylist: Anne Marie Curtis
Hair: Christian Wood
Makeup: Ana Marie Rizzieri
Tailor: Lisa Sanders
Prop Stylist: Veronique Zanettin
Cast: Michelle Williams, Nicolas Ghesquière

UK Elle Digital Edition

The Wild One

Photographer: Alex Franco
Stylist: Gillian Wilkins