UK Elle May 2019 : Jodie Comer by Mariana Maltoni

A naughty girl who has to sit in the corner and think about the bad things she's done.

Nice chair, I suppose! I'm so fed up with this Prada collection. The image and styling are both very directional, and will probably be expanded better in an editorial, but this is definitely not a cover image.
I don't understand how Anne Marie is so passionate about vintage Elle, yet that never manifests on her covers. The 80s, above all else, are known for really fine-tuned magazine covers. Lots of vibrant energy, colour, design.

Reminds me of their pre 2010s era where feminine visual was very strong. I'm curious to see the cover story.

Love Jodie but I’m not convinced this is the best use of her beauty!

This editorial proves that it's actually not that easy to do voyeuristic shoots. Meisel seemed to balance the atmosphere while still highlighting the styling. The Balenciaga shot, last one, is the best of the lot, but that pole is obtrusive. How much more better could it have looked if she just effortlessly walked past.
Love the styling though. Certainly something fresh for this edition who thrives on the clutter and grit.

To Have and to Hold

Photographer: Gilles Bensimon
Stylist: Anne-Marie Curtis
Hair: Benedicte Cazau-Beyret
Makeup: Andrew Gallimore
Cast: Charlotte Touya, Lois Schalkwijk

UK Elle Digital Edition

A Clash Act

Photographer: Charlie Gates
Stylist: Felicity Kay
Hair: Benjamin David
Makeup: Gina Blondell
Cast: Mammina Aker

UK Elle Digital Edition

I admit that I had no idea who Jodie Comer was until this cover came about. I did love that Prada collection, so I don't totally loathe the newsstand cover but Elle definitely could've done better with Jodie (Town & Country clearly did it better).

Maybe they should've shot the cover on location like the feature? Although the cover feature isn't exactly brilliant. Another passable issue of Elle!

Having the time tonight to sit down and look through this issue, it's slightly better than it seems, because the articles about 'sisterhood' aren't complete platitudes - not to mention there's a fresh face on the cover.

But it's when you turn the page and see a third-rate Bensimon editorial that still feels stronger than everything else you've read so far, that you realise this edition lacks... international glamour. It's great that they promote home-grown talents, but sometimes you just need some big names (money permitting).

I can remember, in the early 90s, UK Elle's signature was to have that girl-about-town London street vibe going on - and it's what we see on those pages today - but back then, they balanced that editorial content with covers and features that put their spin on what you'd see on an international level.

I like the covers, she looks pretty. I don't like the editorial, she looks too stiff in those pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->