UK Elle September 2019 : Angelina Jolie by Alexi Lubomirski

Yikes. Earth tones for September. Choices.

Also, the art direction is taking me back to 2005

I don't like what she is wearing and that happy smile.

Colours are too muted and her pout looks forced. I suppose Angelina's team had a hand in the styling because it's way too understated for September.
And could it look any more like a mid-00s cover of American Elle if it tried? I hope this will be a UK-only cover. Farrah is shrewd enough to demand that and get away with it.

Too much text, ain’t no one reading all of those coverlines. The US edition’s cover is wayyy better than this, never thought I would say that but there you go.

Thank God UK Elle produces subscriber’s covers because I wouldn’t pick this one up in newsstands.

Angelina in Her Own Words

Photographer: Alexi Lubomirski
Set Design: Jack Flanagan
Stylist: Elizabeth Stewart
Hair: Adam Campbell
Makeup: Tony G
Manicure: Emi Kudo
Cast: Angelina Jolie

UK Elle Digital Edition

From Paris With Love

Photographer: Daniel Clavero
Stylist: Joana Schlenzka
Hair: Vincent De Moro
Makeup: Marion Robine
Manicure: Christina Conrad
Cast: Katia Andre

UK Elle Digital Edition

Soft Power

Photographer: Karen Collins
Stylist: Sasa Thomann
Hair: Romina Manenti
Makeup: Rie Omoto
Manicure: Eri Handa
Cast: Alecia Morais

UK Elle Digital Edition

They Go Together, Red and Hot Pink.....

Photographer: Mariana Maltoni
Stylist: Jenny Kennedy
Hair: Hiroshi Matsushita
Makeup: Florrie White
Manicure: Chisato Yamamoto
Cast: Najiyah Imani, Zhenya Migovych

UK Elle Digital Edition

The Rebellion

Photographer: Max Vadukul
Stylist: Benedette Dell'Orto Zineroni Casati
Hair: Leon Gorman
Makeup: Jo Frost
Cast: Karmen Pedaru

Shot on location in the Irish Republic

UK Elle Digital Edition

Elle Beauty: Light and Shade

Photographer: Quentin Jones
Stylist: Molly Haylor
Hair: Philippe Tholimet
Makeup: Ninni Mummela
Manicure: Lauren Michelle Piers
Cast: Lauren de Graaff

UK Elle Digital Edition

Farrah must be so pissed that she had to use a global Elle shoot for her first big issue.

« From Paris with love » is so cheesy and bad! My god!
It looks like a bad Ad from the tourism office. Even Anne Hidalgo wouldn’t dare doing something like that!

The main cover is generic love the subs though the ed is exactly what we picture when we think of Angelina in print its starting to get boring. Red hot pink and light and shade are beautiful!

« From Paris with love » is so cheesy and bad! My god!
It looks like a bad Ad from the tourism office. Even Anne Hidalgo wouldn’t dare doing something like that!

But there are more Paris than the disastrous Vogue Italia's one.

What I like about Farrah's Elle is the effort to take it back to how the magazine used to be. Sure, there's been no radical redesign, but gone are the microscopic fonts and sub-sections printed on fancy paper that just seemed pointless. Instead, the art design is simplistic - and while it doesn't feel elegant, it also doesn't feel try-hard. It certainly doesn't feel like it's trying to ape the internet.

There's an article with Susie Cave, and content like that feels like the magazine is coming full circle. Yes, she's the wife of Nick Cave and has her own design line, The Vampire's Wife - but she was also a much-favoured model in this magazine back in the 90s, and seeing her on its pages again brings that back. UK Vogue interviewed Susie recently as well, but it seems more of a surprise to see this type of content in UK Elle, because for so long, the magazine's target audience has seemed to skew much younger.

I haven't looked at the fashion content as much as I have the features, but in short, I'd say the magazine has become more generic... but also more grown-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->