UK Glamour Volume #2 : Kylie Jenner by Thomas Whiteside

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Sep 10, 2018.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

2. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I enjoyed the last issue, so I'll be getting this one. It's the printed counterpart to YouTube beauty content, served up on beefy paper, at a cheap price, so people can pick it up, along with some make-up from Superdrug, and go home and DIY their face in front of the mirror.

Not everything in a woman's magazine has to involve the agenda of changing the world.

sweetpop and KateIsGr8 like this.
  3. sweetpop

sweetpop Active Member

While the covers aren't mind-blowing or fashion history changing, I think all the covers are nice; the first and third probably a little better.

333101 likes this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Cover 3 is actually ok for what it is..... Glamour and Kylie Jenner. At least the UK edition never really put on airs about being vaguely intellectual (much like the girl on it), they're purely a glossy magazine. And I guess she is a beauty icon for some out there. So this is fitting. I like that they've experimented with Cover 2 - we rarely see these kind of shots on covers nowadays.

All the covers look very retouched though. Cover 1 & 3 garnered over 1 million likes in a few hours, and the 2nd one following very close?? Jesus! Her phone must be ringing off the hook.

5. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I picked up a copy of this at lunchtime - the third cover. It's 198 pgs and uses the same paper stock as before. The masthead is reflective metallic red/purple.

There are some perfume/skincare samples inside the issue, Lancome and Garnier, but also Rituals, which you don't see too often. Hand in hand with declining newsstand sales, samples seem to be a dying thing inside magazines these days. That said, in the run-up to Christmas, companies usually run more perfume samples in the October, November and December issues, so it'll be interesting to see if that pattern still repeats itself this year.

The ads are mostly for perfumes and skincare, with a few Chanel/Gucci eyewear ones at the start of the issue. Curiously, there doesn't seem to be the multi-page L'Oreal campaigns that you see in, say, US Marie Claire.

The Primark advertorial that ran in the current issue of UK Vogue also makes an appearance here.

The features open with the Kylie Jenner one, 8 pgs. Half the images in the feature are the other two cover shots.

There's also BRIGHT SPARKS, a 10 pg beauty edit by L'Oreal Paris make-up director Val Garland, shot by Daniel Thomas Smith, with models Chen Liu, Nour Lwasi and Ira Sumbaeva.

THE MANE GAME is an 8 pg hairstyling feature with Maya Jama, shot by Lucas Suchorab, styled by Alexandra Fullerton.

THE NEW MOOD is an actual fashion editorial, a 12 pgs of casual autumn fashion on the grassy bit of a beach with model Line Brems, styled by Alexandra Fullerton and shot by Fabio Lendi.

HOT TIPS is 6 pgs of nail looks from fashion shows, while Emily Ratajkowski gives a short interview, continuing her tradition of turning up everywhere for no real reason.

This issue feels like a cross between Allure and one of those free magazines you'd get in a make-up store. It feels like UK Elle's little sister, and I suspect I might be twenty years older than the actual target audience.

6. Piet Retief

Piet Retief Active Member

I like all three covers for what they are.

samoanceleb likes this.
  7. samoanceleb

samoanceleb Member

Surprised by how nice they are. Really like #2 followed by #1.