UK GQ October 2020 : John Boyega by Danny Kasirye

Oof! That cover photo is terribly unflattering...

He needed to ''smize'' with his eyes but the pose is good, love the hair, grooming and styling is on point. The preview images are great too but that coverphoto isn't as flattering as it could have been in my opinion. I feel he could have pushed and used his jaw in a better way or the photographer could have switched a bit to a certain angle to make the shot work. Nevertheless I can't express how excited I am to see FASHION and people on MAGAZINE covers ahahah and he's a good actor and a breathe of fresh air. Hope the editorial spread is a good one :smile:

“John Boyega on ... being sidelined in Star Wars

Girl, you got cast as a lead in a billion dollar franchise trilogy whilst you were a relatively unknown actor, at the ripe old age of 22. It made you a multi-millionaire, a global star, and directly paved the way to other staring roles and producing gigs. It’s why they gave you a cover. Byeeee

This cover is very unappealing, mainly because of the image. It's just a terrible image overall. Not only does the styling look dated and cheap, but the makeup artist/retoucher went way overboard. But.....

'I want to make the Daily Mail a force for good'

:lol::lol::lol: Good luck, pet!
The delusion. Sounds like someone is trying to sway public opinion in their favour before the Meghan Markle lawsuit kicks off.

Girl, you got cast as a lead in a billion dollar franchise trilogy whilst you were a relatively unknown actor, at the ripe old age of 22. It made you a multi-millionaire, a global star, and directly paved the way to other staring roles and producing gigs. It’s why they gave you a cover. Byeeee

Yeah, I dunno where that's coming from because as far as I recall he enjoyed quite a bit of the press as the male lead when he started. But, this will be a hit for GQ because the headlines are already starting to pile up, all of it referencing to the magazine of course.

Did you even read the article? He isn't talking about the media attention, but how-especially in the last movie- his character got sidelined compared to the white characters in the movie. I think he has a point, especially considering the fact how racist Hollywood still is. And besides that, do we know how much he earned? I highly doubt he is a multi-millionaire at this point and I also would not call him a "global star".

Did you even read the article? He isn't talking about the media attention, but how-especially in the last movie- his character got sidelined compared to the white characters in the movie. I think he has a point, especially considering the fact how racist Hollywood still is.

I did read the article. His premise seems to be that he started off the lead and got sidelined in favor of Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver, due to Disney's racism, as evidenced by their inability to handle a Black character. In fact, Daisy's character was always the most central character in the film, hence why she has significantly more screentime than everyone else in each of the films. John had the second or third most screentime in all three of the films and significantly more than Adam Driver. Daisy was the central character and Adam was the villain (and along with Oscar Isaac, the best actor of the lot, imo) so it's no surprise (and in my opinion not evidence of racism) that their arc was arguably more compelling than any of the others. As someone who really enjoyed 2 of the 3 Star Wars films he made and really enjoyed him in them, I'm shocked at how he seems to be devaluing his own character and the impact he had in the films. I thought he was a grounding force and the most relatable, human character, but he also had plenty of heroic moments. He talks about his character being sweaty and scared as evidence Disney can only portray Black characters one way. What? There are Black characters within Star Wars who don't fit that bill, not to mention other Disney releases. Black Panther, anyone? Ultimately it reads to me as someone who wishes they'd gotten to be the Jedi, but had to settle for being a heroic character, probably an icon to countless Black (and otherwise) children around the world, with the 2nd most screentime out of anyone among a large cast, in some of the highest grossing films ever. Strangely, he makes sure to not place any blame of J.J. Abrams, the man who wrote and directed two of the films, including the one about which he had the most complaints. Make it make sense.

He also mentions the way he was treated by some internet trolls, getting nasty messages, death threats, subjected to racist vitriol. That's terrible and it's criminal that he had to put up with that. The way he phrased it, though, caught me off guard. He says he's the only one who experienced those things. Kelly Marie Tran was subjected to the same things, arguably with far less positive response to balance it out. Why is he invalidating her experience? Naomi Ackie likely received hate and backlash as well.

And besides that, do we know how much he earned? I highly doubt he is a multi-millionaire at this point and I also would not call him a "global star".

We don't know how much he earned. Allegedly he and Daisy each earned something around $300,000 for the first film, presumably much more for the second and third (Variety says 7 figures). I don't know what their contracts were, but that's almost always how it works with major franchises, you earn more with each installment. There's also a Star Wars video game he did, and an animated series. He then produced and starred in Pacific Rim: Uprising, which was a $150 million movie (and earned double that) so I think it's fairly safe to say he is a multi-millionaire. Since he's had his face on the poster for several global blockbusters, been on every talk show, been on magazine covers, now works with Oscar-winning directors, has his face on toys and lunch boxes and bed sheets, etc. etc. etc. yeah, I'd call him a global star.

this looks like a graduation photo roflmao

He’s so insufferably, arrogantly entitled. And yet the White saviours consistently enabled his ignorant vitriol. Always bellyaching about racism in the industry when it’s always been White individuals that have given him the biggest opportunities and tirelessly hyped him up to stardom, while he himself have blatantly been outright racist with his “I’m not interested in any movie that doesn’t have a Black person in it” toxicity. Not racist at all.

He’s so insufferably, arrogantly entitled. And yet the White saviours consistently enabled his ignorant vitriol. Always bellyaching about racism in the industry when it’s always been White individuals that have given him the biggest opportunities and tirelessly hyped him up to stardom, while he himself have blatantly been outright racist with his “I’m not interested in any movie that doesn’t have a Black person in it” toxicity. Not racist at all.

yikes...

... while he himself have blatantly been outright racist with his “I’m not interested in any movie that doesn’t have a Black person in it” toxicity.

Yikes, did he really say that!?! :shock:

UK GQ October 2020

The Rise of Boyega

Photographer: Danny Kassirye
Stylist: Luke Day
Hair: Brenda Ford
Makeup: Natalie Abizadeh
Cast: John Boyega

UK GQ Digital Edition

UK GQ October 2020

The Collections AW20

Photographer: Buzz White
Stylist: Luke Day
Grooming: Liz Taw
Cast: Sheldon Chang, Montell Martin, Giuseppe Surdi, Xavier Hickman, Shaden, Darius Trabalza, Ben Allen, Jacey Ethalion

UK GQ Digital Edition

And I’m supposed to believe this forum understands and is sensitive to issues of race. Please if you don’t understand things stick to discussing the issue at hand instead.

I don’t like this cover at all, the hoodie and weird retouching don’t come off well. I wish they’d really dressed him up. Interview is great though

The point of the interview really WOOSHED right over your head

Wow, just wow... and ending it with an accusation of reverse racism... Really?!?! :rofl:

The new Star Wars did put greater emphasis on the White stars though. The treatment that Kelly Marie Tran's character and his got was pretty much rooted in tokenism. Especially during the third installment where JJ Abrams attempted to please the toxic fandom more than doing their characters justice. I thought that was something that the forum would understand given the ubiquitous argument that y'all are tired of seeing diversity for the sake of ticking the box of answering to today's zeitgeist. Well, what Boyega wanted was exactly what y'all have been voicing here as well. He wanted a role that was meatier and more nuanced than what Disney provided him with. Just like y'all wanted to see diversity being presented in a more fashion manner and not some SJW-centric pandering, right?

The new Star Wars did put greater emphasis on the White stars though. The treatment that Kelly Marie Tran's character and his got was pretty much rooted in tokenism. Especially during the third installment where JJ Abrams attempted to please the toxic fandom more than doing their characters justice. I thought that was something that the forum would understand given the ubiquitous argument that y'all are tired of seeing diversity for the sake of ticking the box of answering to today's zeitgeist. Well, what Boyega wanted was exactly what y'all have been voicing here as well. He wanted a role that was meatier and more nuanced than what Disney provided him with. Just like y'all wanted to see diversity being presented in a more fashion manner and not some SJW-centric pandering, right?

THIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user91036
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->