UK Harper’s Bazaar November 2021 : Phoebe Dynevor by Josh Shinner

That annoying zipper is where all my attention went

She looks gorgeous. I like the second (in red) cover in particular.

I didn't regocnize her at all, had to Google who she was, and then realised it's Daphne from Bridgerton. And to be honest, I still can barely recognize her :lol:

It looks a bit like a friend snapped a picture of her while they were out shopping for home accessories…but I do like the colour scheme!

Bazaar missed a trick not name-checking Bridgerton on the cover though, especially as she has a different hair colour here than most people are familiar with for her - it’s hard to recognise who it is. She’s beautiful but not exactly a household name yet, however her show has a huge following; it would have been an easy way to bag a few more sales at the newsstand.

She's been hired as a brand ambassador for Charlotte Tilbury and stars in their Christmas campaign, so I was expecting these covers to look a little more glamorous, rather than someone looking proud of coming top in their pottery class.

UK Harper's Bazaar November 2021

Fired Up

Photography: Josh Shinner
Styling: Cathy Kasterine
Hair: Dayaruci
Makeup: Georgina Graham
Cast: Phoebe Dynevor

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Tableaux Vivants

Photography: Erik Madigan Heck
Styling: Leith Clark
Hair: Daniel Martin
Makeup: Polly Osmond
Models: May Bell, Sofia Romay

Party Spirit

Photography: Jem Mitchell
Styling: Miranda Almond
Hair: Bjorn Krischker
Makeup: Natsumi Narita
Model: Ana Flavia

UK Harpers' Bazaar Digital Edition

FIRED UP (Textless)
Photography: Josh Shinner
Styling: Cathy Kasterine
Hair: Dayaruci
Make-up: Georgina Graham
Model/Celebrity: Phoebe Dynevor

TABLEAUX VIVANTS (Textless)
Photography: Erik Madigan Heck
Styling: Leith Clark
Hair: Daniel Martin
Make-up: Polly Osmond
Models: May Bell & Sofia Romay

PARTY SPIRIT (Textless)
Photography: Jem Mitchell
Styling: Miranda Almond
Hair: Bjorn Krischker
Make-up: Natsumi Narita
Model: Ana Flavia

My least favourite cover of British Harper's Bazaar in an extremely long time, especially after such a painful and non-event Beyoncé reprint. This feels like another non-event for the magazine, and I find Josh Shinner's photography extremely weak here. The newsstand cover is just... flat.

I believe had Justine Picardie still been at the helm, the direction of the shoot would've been our quintessential British Harper's Bazaar countryside fantasy, with the team playing on Phoebe's Bridgerton role.

Amazed to admit that Erik Madigan Heck's story is the highlight of the entire issue (the beauty styling is all sorts of gorgeous), and that third from last photograph of May Bell would've made a rather elegant November cover.

^ They 100% should’ve done something to play off her Bridgerton role. I’m surprised they didn’t mention it on the cover? That would’ve attracted a lot more buyers at the newsstand I think.

I’m blaming Phoebe’s Louis Vuitton contract for this, their clothes do not fit with Harper’s Bazaar at all, and LV are so strict. I wish HB took a completely different route.

^This year, the art supplement is featured inside the main issue and not a separate standalone product (which it has been since its inception). British Bazaar usually makes a big fuss about the collectable multitude of covers but it's just a section feature for 2021 (and no doubt the foreseeable future).

The TABLEAUX VIVANTS photoshoot is wonderful.

The set-up for Phoebe's photoshoot is really disappointing. She's a very pretty girl, and for the most part, photographs well. As for the cover with her in the green dress, that's slightly better than the one with her in the red dress (god, that expression is not good).

I suppose we should really be surprised she got her Harper's cover this late. Considering the Bridgerton hype.
Some celebrities are halfway decent models, don't think Phoebe is. But she's got a similar type of elfin beauty to Anya Taylor Joy, a more directional photographer would've highlighted that instead.

The covers are ok. But a bit underwhelming for the art issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->