UK Harper's Bazaar August 2019 by Agata Pospieszynska

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Models: Mélodie Vaxelaire, Heather Kemesky & Demy de Vries.

I really like this! I wish subscribers would get a beautiful cover like this, too.

HQ Subscribers Cover:

SCAN BY VOGUE28

cute cover. And I’m not gonna complain about flowers anymore

cute cover. And I’m not gonna complain about flowers anymore

Well, yes Phungnam, because for once they've listened to you! Lol.

The cover is cute and heartwarming despite the 'fashion' styling which is a bit out of place because it's so contemporary. Not a word I'd associate with this edition. The colours look gorgeous. Interesting statement for autumn.

Do wish the girl in yellow would've joined in on the feelgood vibes instead of the serious pose.

Too commercial, nothing interesting in this photo.

The Girls Are Back In Town

Photographer: Agata Popieszynska
Stylist: Charlie Harrington
Hair: Gareth Bromell
Makeup: Polly Osmond
Manicure: Sabrina Gayle
Cast: Demy De Vries, Heather Kemesky, Mélodie Vaxelaire

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

We've seen this before - UK Bazaar pumping out a cover story for a filler month featuring some white girls and a minority. I wasn't a fan of it back in May 2018 or August 2017, and I can't say I'm enthused about it this month either. They must have a target to tick this box on a yearly basis.

Don't get me wrong, this rant is not about inclusivity; it's about someone producing a cover story that's on the same level as a mail-order clothes catalogue that goes straight into the recycling bin.

But this issue feels like it has slightly more heft than UK Elle or Vogue. There's a decent number of proper new season ads.

In her editor's letter, Justine tries to promote a line of thought about Truman Capote working for Bazaar, and his famous essay about 'swans', and why that translates into us seeing actual swans on this cover. She's talking rubbish, but I appreciate the attempt at trying to convince me there's an actual concept going on.

That cover story is the only fashion editorial. There's also a short retrospective of Linda McCartney's photography, and an arty section about the elements (fire, water etc) with special poetry., plus a beauty section with blonde people, and two travel articles about Marrakesh and Bodrum/Istanbul.

That Truman Capote angle actually made me think of Glenda, and how she's sitting on such a rich and illustrious archive, yet not doing anything about it. In fact, maybe it's fine that way because whatever she'll do will end up looking like an ANTM challenge.

I don't mind the collections edit. August is the one month in a year where Justine sends her models to walk the streets of London instead of a country manor. I would personally suggest ditching these three models in favour of a stronger and slightly more famous model instead.

Mood wise this is to me a bit Boden-esque... yes, I’ve seen one :-D

I am ALL for seeing models on the covers of fashion magazine but this is so unbelievably boring, I just cannot. A total non-event on the newsstand! The September issues of British Harper's Bazaar are usually fantastic, so I am willing to overlook this snoozefest of an issue.

However, I couldn't help but notice the magazine's a had slight refresh in terms of layout. It appears a lot cleaner and minimalist in this issue, which I immediately became a fan of. I believe the last time UK Bazaar had a redesign was back in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->