UK Harper's Bazaar March 2019 : Lily James by Alexi Lubomirski

Do you like the cover?

• Yes

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
I find the content looks more impressive in the form of scans; the fold in the middle of the magazine tends to disrupt the look of the landscape shots.

Indeed, especially the landscape shots. If the spine is really tightly bound, it does ruin the effect.

So this is the first issue in seasons where Vogue had a higher page count than Harper's, by about 10 pages.

Heck and Clark need to shoot more celebrities, I think Lily could have pulled that shoot off.

I'll never complain about seeing her, she is an absolute natural beauty and so sexy, love when she has dark hair.

I want to love the bougie, lady-like, outdoorsy vibe of UK HB but it always comes off as very predictable and safe.

The Dior dress on the newsstand cover resembles masses of wadded up nylon foot socks from the local shoe department while the subs cover looks as though Lily inadvertently got the satin bed sheet from her hotel stuck to her odd mall gown. Lily's facial expressions look the same from one page to the next. She doesn't own the fashion camera. Alexi's work never impressed me and i'll forever associate him with Glenda's subpar Bazaar where his mediocre shoots were constantly shoved down my throat, in the early to mid 2000s.

Most of Lily's photos feel cumbersome and staged, the opposite of the effortless glamour vibe they were presumably envisioning for the shoot. The strongest image for me is the one of Lily sitting on the bar stool. Reminiscent of Frances Mclaughlin Gill, the lighting is gorgeous, great use of props for compositional interest and the gown's intricacy and detailing is on full display with a artful risque streak that's missing from this magazine. It feels like a fleeting, private moment captured before the shoot. With the right editorial team Lily's ed could've been heavenly. I admire the spirit of UK HB just not the execution of their vision.

Must admit that this does look rather beautiful on the newsstand, and love how the art director kept everything muted with the blush-toned Bazaar masthead to complement the Christian Dior dress.

It's all just so very soft, pretty and ladylike, and I'm just as equally as fond of the subscribers cover too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->