UK Vogue April 2020 : Jodie Comer by Steven Meisel

Holy cheekbones, Batman!

I love the retro glamour of the cover and I love Jodie, but it’s really grating one me the way her chin and jawline is tucked into the collar of her sweater. I know I’m nitpicking, but my eyes keep going back to it.

Undoubtedly my favorite of Edward x Meisel covers so far. Jodie looks fantastic and so reminiscent of Rachel Williams on Vogue covers in the 80s.
Simply can't get over it, I've been impatiently waiting for this to come out all day long. Beyond worth the wait!!

Previews:

Jodie%20Comer%20April%20Issue%20Cover%20Reveal%201.jpg
Jodie%20Comer%20April%2020%20Insert%202.jpg

vogue.co.uk

Last edited:
Oh, how glorious!! :heart:
Love everything about it that may irk others - the closeup cropping, the jumper pulled up to her chin, that vintage Shrimpton expression. Just perfection. I'd have saved this for July or August though.

Who would've thought a Scouse would ever make the cover of Vogue! :clap::lol:

Fabulous really! Love how she became a sort of Meisel muse somehow. First the Loewe campaign, now this. She’s such a fantastic charismatic actress, finally someone worthy of attention on the cover.

Siiiiiiiiick. I love Jodie! I haven't seen her Loewe campaign/any other big modeling spots she's gotten, so this was unexpected and fun to see. This is the most memorable cover I've seen from Edward in the past few months...

Also, re: chin – I was reading some other Meisel/Vogue cover threads, and to me it seems like he might use some slightly off-putting posing intentionally? What do you guys think?

Very 80's but works perfectly, such a commanding presence when shot up close makes for quite an impressive cover.

Beautiful, this is just what I needed on a moody Monday evening, a perfect throwback to 80s Avedon Beauty cover shot! Grace Mirabella would be proud!

I did stop watching Killing Eve, because they took it too far, and it is just ridiculous now, but i remember thinking how on earth has no one snapped her for a beauty campaign, her skin is unreal!

Why must they insist on doing Meisel's editorials in B&W? It takes away so much from the cover shoot which in this case is stunning. Plus second shot looks like a Barbie whose hair hadn't been combed in days.

Still, at 2 quid I'll get this for the cover alone.

Why must they insist on doing Meisel's editorials in B&W?

It probably has to do with the ongoing vintage theme, like when Avedon used to do the covers in color with black and white studio shoots inside. I assume that's what he's going for since he obviously seems to be doing his best Avedon impression for Edward.
Can't say that it bothers me tho, it all looks so timeless and fabulous.

Also, re: chin – I was reading some other Meisel/Vogue cover threads, and to me it seems like he might use some slightly off-putting posing intentionally? What do you guys think?
But of course it's intentional. Unless it's one of the muses (Naomi, especially Linda, Christy.etc) you do NOT get to freestyle pose on a Meisel shoot, honey!

In fact he will insist on you repeating the poses he shows you, down to every detail! The man is a control freak to the max, and if he isn't getting what he wants, he will pull out a mirror! Everyone thinks its so fabulous to be photographed by Steven Meisel, the honest truth is; it's NOT! Oh and he will not shoot certain clothes, if he doesn't like them, even if they are huge advertisers whose campaigns he has shot himself. :rofl: So not a walk in the park for fashion editors either. Not even Edward gets a free pass. Funny enogh Avedon was a similar "nightmare".

Best cover i've seen in a looooooooong time.
She's so utterly gorgeous.

But of course it's intentional. Unless it's one of the muses (Naomi, especially Linda, Christy.etc) you do NOT get to freestyle pose on a Meisel shoot, honey!

In fact he will insist on you repeating the poses he shows you, down to every detail! The man is a control freak to the max, and if he isn't getting what he wants, he will pull out a mirror! Everyone thinks its so fabulous to be photographed by Steven Meisel, the honest truth is; it's NOT! Oh and he will not shoot certain clothes, if he doesn't like them, even if they are huge advertisers whose campaigns he has shot himself. :rofl: So not a walk in the park for fashion editors either. Not even Edward gets a free pass. Funny enogh Avedon was a similar "nightmare".

So interesting! Thanks for the feedback @Miss Dalloway :smile: I can't imagine having a mirror pulled out on set but also kinda respect it!!

I find that the slightly-off poses or expressions with Meisel, in cases like this, grow on me the more I look at an image... And becomes a bit more memorable for the very fact that it doesn't look entirely natural and effortless.

Undoubtedly my favorite of Edward x Meisel covers so far. Jodie looks fantastic and so reminiscent of Rachel Williams on Vogue covers in the 80s.
Simply can't get over it, I've been impatiently waiting for this to come out all day long. Beyond worth the wait!!

As if the cover needed to be sold to me more, before this statement! :heart:

A beautiful, classic and utterly flawless portrait from Meisel that showcases Comer’s beauty perfectly! What more could we possibly ask for?

I was really like: Rachel Williams?
Jodie looks good!
The cover is good and expected...But I want more from Meisel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->