UK Vogue August 2020 : British Landscapes by Fourteen Different Subjects

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Cover #1 of 14 by David Hockney:

Edward Enninful Unveils 14 Special Covers For Vogue’s August Issue

There is a phrase I keep hearing at the moment... “I can’t wait to go back to normal.” It sounds innocuous enough at first – and, of course, in this year of great uneasiness, I find myself pining for comfort, too. Who doesn’t want to live in a society that isn’t so riddled with inequality that the Black Lives Matter protests that have taken place around the globe don’t feel like a painful necessity to change the status quo? Or to live in a world beyond a deadly new disease, where we are finally able to socially non-distance again? Who doesn’t want to feel happy and calm and normal?

But a truth has been exposed by the tumultuous events of 2020: there is no normal to return to. Like many of you who I’ve spoken to or corresponded with over these past months, I share a sense that, actually, “normal” is what got us to this point in the first place. If we are going to evolve, to a place of greater fairness and safety for our planet and its people, our future cannot look exactly like our past. We are going to need a genuine rethink about many areas of our lives. Our attitudes, our priorities, our compassion. What and how we consume. What we stand for and how we voice it.

It’s easy to feel tired or daunted, to look at the past few months and simply think, “I’ve had enough.” But let’s be honest: normal wasn’t working. There is not, alas, a quick fix. Though one positive that has emerged during these times for me has been a greater opportunity to think and prioritise. Marooned at home, a silver lining for the lucky ones has been time. Typically, I never spend more than a night or two in on the trot, and travel extensively for work. Suddenly there was space to reflect and reset. To pause, so as to better work out the next steps.

That is what this issue is all about: reset. It starts with 14 special covers – a first project of its kind for Vogue. It has been a major theme of these past months that our eyes have turned to nature as a steadying force amid the chaos, and so I am delighted to bring you a story for which some of Britain’s greatest living image-makers – from photographers David Sims and Nadine Ijewere, to artists Lubaina Himid and David Hockney – present new and original landscapes captured around the country.

Their work on the covers, and in the 20-page story “All Across the Land”, is not only beautiful and poignant, but also highlights that at the core of everything is our planet. Its maintenance enjoyed renewed focus as human activity slowed down in late spring, from the indelible images of clear canals in Venice to an absence of smog over Los Angeles. As the world rushes to find its feet again, we all need to be more mindful of the toll our previous pace of living took on nature. As writer Helen Macdonald observes in her accompanying essay, “Some commentators maintained that Covid-19 was planetary revenge for the havoc humans have wreaked on natural systems. Others, more quietly, carefully and humanely, have wondered if it might signal a reset in our relationship to nature.” I very much hope so. I’m pleased to add that later in the year, we plan to hold an auction of original prints of these images, donated by the artists, in aid of Covid-19 relief charities.

Fourteen special covers are in store for the August 2020 issue of British Vogue, including one contributed by David Hockney.

Elsewhere, Vogue has been doing things a little differently. In a crunch, I’m pleased to see imagination thrive, as we adapt and learn new ways to create. In Back to the Future, we combed the archive to bring you some of the best-known photographs from Vogue’s past decades, with a thoroughly modern twist. Working with the effects house Framestore, some of the magazine’s most famous images, by the likes of Norman Parkinson and Helmut Newton, have been seamlessly adorned with items from the new-season collections, in a blink-to-believe-it fantasy of old and new. Meanwhile, photographer Nick Knight brings all his genius to bear on producing a Zoom fashion shoot par excellence.

It is an issue of personal reflections, too. Some of our well-known friends, from Sade to Yara Shahidi, take us into the heart of their homes to reveal what this time has meant for the most important relationship of all: family. There are many keen observations, too, such as author David Sedaris’s take on the new reality of mask wearing, and writer and activist Gloria Steinem’s indispensable life advice.

Most moving of all is a viewpoint by Sophia Neophitou-Apostolou, the stylist and beloved fashion-industry favourite. When news reached me that my friend of many years had returned from fashion month with such a severe case of coronavirus it eventually meant she had to be put on a ventilator in the ICU, I was distraught. For a long time it did not look like she was going to make it, and Sophia was in a coma for more than three weeks. When the call came to say she had pulled through, so many of us shed tears of joy. I want to thank Sophia for sharing her story – or, as she calls it, her ultimate “reset”. We are privileged to include it in Vogue.

The August issue of British Vogue is on sale on 3 July.

VOGUE.CO.UK

Quite a lovely cover. 14 covers is a too much, though I’m curious to see the other 13.

14 covers? Artwork after an issue dedicated to "normal people" instead of models/celebs on the cover? Is British vogue turning into Vogue Italia by Farneti 2.0?

I quite like it to be honest! I like the concept. 14 is overkill for sure, but I’m here for the general idea of it. Love the Hockney and intrigued to see the others.

Wonderful National Geographic cover...
Considering what Emmanuelle has managed to do with VP, with the restrictions of the lockdown, everybody who comes after with boring and expected concepts get a big NO for me.

It’s beautiful, don’t get me wrong but it was maybe more relevant 2 issues before.

Is it really expected though? Was anyone here expecting 14 artists to capture scenes of the British countryside? Cause I sure as hell wasn’t!

He literally has no vocabulary as an editor
Beside diversity which is always black and white he has nothing new to say

Snap judgment? I like the cover, although it does look like the sort of cover that an Australian magazine called Frankie would do on the regular. I used to look forward to Harper's annual art supplement, so I can tolerate this. It's a beautiful piece but very generic in the sense that it will appeal to everyone and their mum. I imagine that was the intent. The £2 sticker won't look out of place.

But 14 covers????? My God, one Farneti is enough!

P.S. There better be a Northumberland or Isle of Wight cover and it better be beautiful and representational. Leave the abstract twaddle for London.

I'm sure some of these landscape shots are going to be beautiful - but I already read those sorts of magazines, who have been doing it for years, and doing it with more depth.

When people's appetite for glamour and fun comes back - probably around Christmas - he's going to be talking like he invented the concept of fashion as a good time, conveniently forgetting about that period when looking through Vogue felt like an uninspired school outing to an art gallery.

At least it's not a blank cover I guess?

It's not that bad, but I wish they painted a different subject? Like at least someone running while wearing a dress (and a mask ofc)

14 is an overkill. This is not V Magazine.

Like at least someone running while wearing a dress (and a mask ofc)

I suppose that's still coming, right? So and so did their own hair, makeup, and styling for the much-distanced shoot. It can't all be 14 covers showing only landscapes surely. God, how dull would that be!

This is beautiful and all but when is fashion and glamour coming back? The world is in a very uncertain period and fashion has always been part of the media that takes you on a journey away from it all.

I love the cover. It is appropriate for now, easily brightening up your day and giving you a peace of mind amidst the chaos, and also for the future as a throwback cover even though without fashion involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->