UK Vogue December 2018 : Adut Akech, Stella Tennant, Saffron Vadher & Primrose Archer

Not sure if people are clamoring for Adut’s cover just because it’s her, or there’s something I’m missing out on.

Happy for her, don’t get me wrong, but I’d rather her not to appear on the cover than to have that cover in her portfolio. That is a disaster! She’s overly styled! She’s gorgeous and a stunning portrait would have sufficed!

The styling of Adut’s cover reminds me of the Drag on a Dime challenge in RuPaul’s Drag Race. That look, I must say, must be up for elimination.

Saffron!! Now that is GORGEOUS! First time ever to have been wowed by a cover of Edward.

The layout is obviously an hommage to his first cover, which is very unimaginative. Lazy at most.

HAHAHA AND OH, Bravo to the new hashtag

#1YearNewVogue.

Adut's cover looks vintage I kinda like it, but I think I like Primrose's cover the best.

Stella’s, whilst it’s nice to see her here, looks like a cover from Alexandra’s time. The other covers are nice but Edward needs to get out of this headshot rut. You could line so many of his covers up and they’re practically the same shots.

I feel like for me this is the one and only time I miss Alexandra. I want the Christmas. I was the glamour and the decadence that used to come with a Christmas issue back in her good days. I know we live in such a diverse and multi cultural society that has meant most magazines try to be seasonal rather than directly relate to Christmas, but I kind of miss it.

I actually seem to remember Edward mentioning Primrose in one of this Instagram story Q&A, something along the line of he likes her etc! He seems to keep dropping little hints of cover stars all the time!

Adut,Saffron,Primrose - 5 double pages
By Steven Meisel, styling Edward, Hair Guido, Makeup Pat McGrath.

It’s a nice ed, Nothig extraordinary or exciting. Just very simple Meisel studio shoot. There’s a lot of shots of Primrose, two of Adut (one of which would of been a more interesting cover imo), two shots of Saffron.

Within you, without you - 9 double pages
Lots of various models By Tim Walker, Styling Kate Phelan

Very bright and colourful ed, it’s supposedly inspired by India! The colours are fantastic, it’s very surrealist/abstract.

The Artist - 4 double pages
Stella Tenant by Meisel, styling Joe McKenna, hair Guido, Makeup Pat McGrath.

All Valentino Couture, it’s an homage to Pierpaolo Piccioli (there’s an interview with him), simple yet Dramatic Meisel studio shoot. (Would of been elevated if it was Kristen Mcmenamy), I don’t think Stella was suppose to be a cover ed because it has no relation to the other editorial/covers.

A Winters Tale - 6 double pages
Jean Campbell by Venetia Scott (styling by her too).

My personal favourite ed from this issue, it’s Skiing based. Jean looks fantastic, the snow/winter Aesthetic of it is perfect for December.

Dream Sequences - 3-4pages
Naomi Campbell by Sean Thomas, styling by Edward.

Dolce & Gabbana ed/interview (they are in a few pictures), a rather strange ‘ed’, it looks more like a behind the scenes of their Alta moda show.

Modern Spirit - 6 double pages
Freja by Jamie Hawkesworth, styling by Marie Amelie Sauve

Again another nice simple shoot, it’s on location in what looks like a forest, it’s a sort of Boho/Cowboy/minimalist ed.

Overall I’m left feeling a little underwhelmed, I imagined Edward would create an issue that was a celebration & bright etc (like the ‘Party!’) title would lead you to believe. Compared to September (my personal choice of Edwards best issue) it’s fairly lacklustre.

Tim walker’s editorial was probably the highlight of this issue for me, it was colorful, diverse and the styling was great too...

I think SM’s work was rather weak in this issue...

If I can't get the Saffron cover then I won't have any. Hope stockists will keep all 4 or at least two options, because as I recall with Gigi and Bella, only one made the newsstands in my area. Review sounds rather tepid, sorry. And Naomi styled by Edward? Zzzzzz.

Adut has been doing great editorials, campaigns, she won the 'Model of the Year' award for 2018, and she gained quite a bit of traction as Chanel's bride a few months ago. So the buildup was there. All that was needed to cement her status as a new icon was a British, American or French cover. Truth be told this cover should've been OG, or she should've been moved to January on her own. She's not on the same level as Primrose and Saffron. And now she's apparently getting two shots in a 10-page edit? Hopefully Vogue Australia will do her justice. Your move, Edwina!

Not sure if people are clamoring for Adut’s cover just because it’s her, or there’s something I’m missing out on.

Happy for her, don’t get me wrong, but I’d rather her not to appear on the cover than to have that cover in her portfolio. That is a disaster! She’s overly styled! She’s gorgeous and a stunning portrait would have sufficed!

The styling of Adut’s cover reminds me of the Drag on a Dime challenge in RuPaul’s Drag Race. That look, I must say, must be up for elimination.

Saffron!! Now that is GORGEOUS! First time ever to have been wowed by a cover of Edward.
Agreeing with you now. The rumours about Adut's solo cover made me anticipate the moment, so when I finally saw the cover last night, I loved the idea and the colours. Truth (or my opinion) be told, the styling does look kinda heavy and tacky. But I still like it.

And this is a celebratory issue? What a non event. The cast and styling is all over the place. Love Adut but it’s a no from me. Next month please.

I agree Saffron's is really the best cover - such sensuality yet still manages to convey the festivity I love from December issues! Adut's cover is a let down primarily due to the ridiculous styling which quite frankly makes her look like a bobble head; such a shame although I'd still be happy to have her cover just for its significance in her career. As a subscriber, I'm wondering which I'll get...although there's nothing offensive about Stella's and Primrose' covers I'd be disappointed to receive either. Four covers is a little bit much for me. Fingers crossed!

A Steven Meisel extravaganza for December - and I'm here for it. The thought of just Adut fronting the issue by Meisel in the Cover Rumor Thread seemed enough until we've been gifted not one but four covers.

The cover with Adut is undeniably a welcomed sight, she's photographed beautifully by Meisel and I couldn't agree with more @Blayne266 that the alternative shot from Meisel's cover story with Adut would've made such a wonderful cover - and could've worked beautifully for a special subscribers cover. It's very Avedon (Adut definitely has the strongest shots from the cover story).

For me, however, it's the cover with Saffron which steals the show but nevertheless I'll be hunting down them all (and depending on which cover I get sent with my subscription).

A pretty solid set of covers for December, if you ask me!

May sound like I’m reading the cover but I knew Aduts cover reminded me of something, it has a sort of Alice in Wonderland Mad hatter vibe! I do genuinely like the cover, I like it the more I look at it!

I’m personally excited to see the future of Edwards Vogue! (I’m hoping this future includes a Naomi Campbell cover so I can sleep better at night :lol: )

None of the covers is bad but Saffron's is definitely the best, if not one of the best Vogue covers this year. What a beauty she is. Don't get the fuss about Adut at all.

Great to see Steven Meisel shooting regularly for this magazine. It's definitely an upgrade for them. Can't wait to see his and Walker's eds.

Primrose is such a star in every single shot, Meisel knows the formula to a good ol' Avedon editorial. Shame they could've picked a more compelling shot for her cover. Meanwhile, sadly, Adut & Saffron seem thrown-in at last minute, their covers & editorial photos so dull & uninspired. And Stella is more interesting when she does rebellion than grande dame, IMO.

No, Adut's cover doesn't appeal to me in any shape or form. But who is this Saffron!?! Crikey, what a stunner! And without a doubt the best cover so far. There's some literal yet classy glamour and sensuality, something that's been absent from British Vogue under both Alexandra and Edward. So yes, certainly welcoming.

The problem with Adut's cover is the excessive styling. Too kitschy. That wasn't needed for her great debut. Also those colours are far too pale. Looks like an Allure editorial outtake. You can tell Edward is trying to cover his bases with this forced multi covers. Stella and her dodgy tan to counter Harper's/Tatler/T&C, I can see the Cosmo reader buying into Saffron's cover, and Primrose and Adut for the HF clan.

But....looking forward to Michaela Coel! Hers is the only name on the cover which I'm keen on.

Saffron's been a early favorite of mine but Society's been keeping her under wraps and super selective with their projects for her.. I guess with good reason. She's so amazing- so glad to finally see her getting some much deserved and needed visibility in the fashion world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->