UK Vogue December 2019 : Emma Watson by Alasdair McLellan & Lizzo by Kloss Films

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Autopilot. This is boring as hell, even if it's not terrible. Looks like it could be from the Shulman era. She looks like she just finished her GCSEs, went to a crappy prom and so walked out and sat on a bench cliff-side. Aspirational stuff :rolleye:!

I'm losing patience with Edward. He hasn't had a good issue in a while for me and all that he's been producing is pretty much as uneventful as every other awful magazine tearing down trees for nothing!

YohjiAddict likes this.
  2. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this one. Her face and hair look too sharp in comparison to the dress and the ambient.

Bertrando3 likes this.
  3. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

She looks so uncomfortable. The styling is the complete opposite of her own. You can't just throw your subject into any old dress and expect it to work. There has to be harmony between the actress and the styling. This isn't a costume party!

4. Kiyoko

Kiyoko New Member

… Taedium Vitae is a red couture dress … things are bad

franceslions likes this.
  5. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

I'm sure same concept with Meisel will give a more appropriate xmas/fashion feeling. I love Alasdair work but there is something very "InStyle". It gives me the "Thank god holidays are over and now i can relax a little bit" kinda vibes....

I like the idea of outdoor covers but need to figure out how to balance better the elements, Edward it's Vogue.

I'm sure less dress and another angle will fix this...or a better editing...

6. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Vogue.co.uk

I feel a little let down the editorial doesn’t follow the same festive, glamorous feel.

7. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I have no idea why but this cover resonates with me a lot. The McQueen dress is stunning and Emma is an effortless, beautiful girl who can actually get away with this imo.

8. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

She looks really young and old at the same time lol.

9. blusheels

blusheels Active Member

Love that Edward decided to trust someone to style this cover instead of himself. Also love Alasdair and the Mcqueen dress but even all these good choices have been ruined by this commercial shot.

So frustating when you have all the tools for a great cover and it ends up being so unispiring.

10. MON

MON Well-Known Member

This is for the holidays... i mean???

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Their videos are way too long! I've enjoyed it personally because it feels like a mini-doc, but I'm left wondering why should I bother buying the magazine now to read her cover feature? Because this video just about covered all the bases. I can't believe this got the greenlight.
    Magazines must learn to either create special content for their social media audience to highlight their ethos or drive traffic back to their website/print edition. But you cannot service social media like this without holding any cards to your chest. Youtube/Facebook/Insta should be regarded as rivals because they only care about number 1, and that is their own wellbeing and keeping their audience engaged. They're not bothered if Vogue doesn't sell or, God forbid, goes bust.

YohjiAddict and Hermiola like this.
  12. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Must admit that I would've preferred a Meisel extravaganza like last year's December offering but I do like this - purely for how sharp and vibrant the cover image itself is. I also like how the colour of the masthead complements the Alexander McQueen, and how the layout does the image just as much justice.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Emma Watson Checked The Green Credentials Of Everything She Wore On Her British Vogue Shoot

BY ALICE NEWBOLD
    4 NOVEMBER 2019

Emma Watson has been a pioneer when it comes to championing ethical dressing and cites Good On You, a free fashion evaluation app, as the best means of informing her wardrobe choices. The actor worked with the Vogue team to curate her looks for the December cover shoot using the tool to rate the environmental impact of the brands.

“We’re often asked not what we are wearing but ‘who’,” Watson said when she announced her role as an official Good On You supporter earlier this year. “It’s as if the ideas behind the clothes – the label, the designer, the collection – have more meaning than the garment itself. There’s a bigger story to be told about the conditions in which our clothes are made, the resources that have been used and the impact they’ve had on communities.”

British Vogue

YohjiAddict likes this.
  14. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Review - 284 Pages.

I'M NOT WHAT...
    Cover star: Emma Watson
    Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
    Stylist: Poppy Kain
    6 Photos

THE LAND GIRL
    Model: Julia Nobis
    Photographer: Steven Meisel
    Stylist: Joe McKenna
    9 Photos

TICKLED PINK

Models: Carolina Burgin, Meghan Collison, Mariam de Vinzelle,
    Janaya Furman, Kris Grikaite, Cara Taylor & Sara Grace Wallerstedt
    Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
    Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
    11 Photos

NIGHTS IN SHINING ARMOUR

Models: He Cong & Tess McMillan
    Photographer: David Ferrua
    Stylist: Ondine Azoulay
    6 Photos

WAY OUT IN MEXICO
    Models: Mexican locals and a bunch of models.
    Photographer: Tim Walker
    Stylist: Kate Phelan
    18 Photos

GOOD AS HELL
    Talent: Lizzo
    Photographer: Kloss Films
    Stylist: Dena Giannini
    6 Photos

TO THE MAX
    Model: Lily Aldridge
    Photographer: Matt Easton
    Stylist: Dena Giannini
    5 Photos

AN ODD TYPE OF FANTASY

Model: Kendall Jenner & Braien Vaiksaar
    Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
    Stylist: Kate Phelan
    6 Photos

+ The subscribers cover is the same shot as the newsstand but with less text!

aracic, tigerrouge, Benn98 and 3 others like this.
  15. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Oh God, Meisel for just an Ed.

Can’t wait to see the models in Kate ed’s

16. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Oh, so Meisel has an editorial. Makes me think he didn't wish to shoot Emma, and Emma was non-negotiable.

russianelf likes this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Kendall and Braien? Odd pairing. And of course Meisel must've insisted on Julia Nobis. My God, she'll get a cover yet.

Maybe that Lizzo shoot was the one which we're thinking were a cover?

dodencebt likes this.
  18. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

Meisel and Julia!!! Wonderful. I can't wait to see the results! Sounds like a solid issue, but I still need to see the editorials before actually buying it.

19. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I didn't get the impression from the UK Vogue survey that there would be a Lizzo cover (soon) - when those surveys ask for opinions about coverlines relating to a range of people, it seems to be for content in one specific issue - one name is intended as the cover choice, and the rest end up as features.

Although I don't know why UK Vogue bothered asking about the precise wording of coverlines for this issue, when there hardly are any - just a list of people's names!

20. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

He's shot her before, to great success. She once had a beautiful editorial in VI wearing couture.