Reaction score
The New Madonna
Celebrity: Madonna
Photographer: Herb Ritts
Stylist: Sarajane Hoare
Hair: Serena Radaelli
Makeup: Francesca Tolot

madonnascrapbook, onthecoverofamagazine

I've never ever seen this cover! I wonder what the other eds in it look like...

Actually shocking to think this was her one, and only cover for UK edition. I would think at least while she lived in England she would have been featured again ala Paltrow.etc

Love this look on Madonna, black hair, minimal makeup. Thanks for sharing, MDNA!

Actually shocking to think this was her one, and only cover for UK edition. I would think at least while she lived in England she would have been featured again ala Paltrow.etc

She doesn't have that many Vogue covers, if you think about it. I think her prime was during the supermodel era and celebrities where seldom featured.

UK Vogue February 1989

Four Shades of Brillant

Ph: Steven Klein
Model: Rachel Williams
Hair: Garren
Makeup: Kevin Aucoin

My scans

Four Shades of Brillant
Ph: Steven Klein
Model: Rachel Williams
Hair: Garren
Makeup: Kevin Aucoin
My scans

You know I love me some, Rachel. Thanks so much, Kelly!! :flower:

Thanks for sharing, justaguy and kelles, especially for the Superheroines eds. :woot:

So would I!! They certainly had the opportunity, I mean, with that 'classy English housewife' move which she was trying to push.

The covershot reminds me of the poster for Metropolis, and she looks insanely beautiful here.

Oh wow, Steven Klein! I think this is the earliest work I've seen from him.

THE NEW MADONNA

"Come on Herb, stop that! I want you to do me as the real me," squawks Madonna as Herb Ritts tries to pull open her blouse to reveal more of a black bra. "The real me" is Madonna stripped of her blonde crop and red lips. Instead before us is a Madonna who has stepped out of a Renaissance painting, a Mona Lisa, with long brown hair centre-parted, dark damson lips and porcelain white skin. She dances for us, yelling throatily over the words of a Prince tape that is blasting out of the speakers so loudly that we can hardly hear ourselves think.

This is the emergence of a new woman, an image that suggests culture clashes, and juxtapositions of old and new ideas. "People have certain notions about me, and it is time for a change," she affirms. At thirty, she’s revealing a deeper side of her personality through a new single from her album Like a Prayer, released worldwide this month. "Like a Prayer," she explains, "is about the influence of Catholicism on my life, and the passion it provokes in me. In other songs I’ve been dealing with more specific issues that mean a lot to me. They’re about an assimilation of experiences I had in my life and in relationships. They’re about my mother, my father, and bonds with my family, about the pain of dying, of growing up and letting go. I’ve been exploring different kinds of music and discovering things inside me that I suppose have always been there, but I’ve never had the confidence and experience to show them until now. It’s taken a lot of guts to do this, and I’ve taken more risks with this album than I ever have before and I think that growth shows."

Acting too has played a major part in Madonna’s growing up, having finished a six-month stint in a David Mamet play on Broadway. "I suppose that acting has made me question things. It’s been food for me as it humbles and challenges me to work with other people; when I make records I have total control, and express myself as I want, but in acting you have to give up a lot of independence, because there are other people involved." There is an urgency about Madonna as she thrashes through life, that affects everyone about her. She has an unnerving will to express herself, to explore, challenge and discover, as is inherent in any talented artist.

"I suppose when I ever get to the point of not having the desire to know and the hunger to learn more, then I won’t continue to act or write songs."

vogue.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->